Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Camp question:

Featured Replies

Pikeville College, had a very good team camp last year. Middle Tn has a very good team camp for Middle and High School age teams.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team camps - Probably Georgetown team camp in mid-June is best.

 

Individual - Transy camp is pretty good. Also the Rick Bolus camp at Georgetown College.

The camp that I remember going to in Georgetown was called the "Bluechips Camp". I don't know what you would consider it. Several of us went there, but we were divided up onto different teams. I think at most you only had 2 players from one school on the same team. There was no real fundamental practice, only games played against other teams. It was a great time, though.

Sleepover Camps? Camps where the kids actually get the opportunity to go away for a number of days and eat, sleep and drink basketball? Are these done as a team with the schools blessing or just on an individual basis where a parent sends the kid to a camp? I keep getting told more and more schools are frowning on overnight camps and many are discontinuing this practice but from what I see and hear I'm finding this seems to be very common amongest a great many schools and somewhat contrary to what I have been led to believe. I would be interested to hear what some schools policies are towards "Team Camps".

 

Dayton has attended Georgetown since Dilts took over with the schools blessing (but not their money). It is a good opportunity for some kids from smaller schools to experience a college campus and probably helps alot with "team" concept and morale. Yes, it's pretty much Basketball, break, basketball, break etc. from 7:00 AM 'til midnight.:ylsuper:

The team camp at Georgetown is excellent. I went down as a freshman and sophomore. It's a weekend camp with a tournament at the end. YOu get about 8 games until the tournament. You stay on campus where you eat at the school cafeteria, and pretty much go around ant see what Georgetown is all about. The players ref the games and host a scrimmage once a weekend that you can watch. The players can also go around and meet players from other schools all bordering states. I'ts a great way to really bring the team together.

JP Blevins is offering a camp this summer that will have low coach to camper ratios, be very intentional about getting to know each camper and he has already recruited several area high school coaches and former college players to work the camp. You can get more information at http://www.gettheedgebasketball.com. There is a morning camp for 6-11 and afternoon camp for 12-17. The price is also very affordable and promises to be a great camp. My son will be there and we are counting on a great week of instruction and fun.

I went to Don Lane's team camp but don't remember the funnel trick, what was it?

 

All I remember from Don Lanes camp back in 84' was I was taking that hideous photo with Don with the lights flashing. It was a classic photo, my mullett, a few pimples and Don just smiling like a politician. Great camp, I went 8th and 9th grade year and won the Cut Throat competition one of those years. It was cool, they made you play the finals in front of the whole camp. Cut throat was like playing 21.

IMO if you are looking to make improvements to your individual game, camps simply are not the way to go. A better use of your money would be to do one-on-one work with a trainer who can improve your game.

Georgetown's team camp is top notch. Tons of games, good competition, a lot of divisions, etc. etc. etc.

Someone sent me this today:

 

Could anyone recommend a team basketball camp for incoming freshman ages 13 & 14? Or a good individual skills camp for players 13 & 14?

 

Is he looking to work on his game individually or is he looking to take a particular group of boys with him and see how they fare as a group?

Going out and playing pickup games is the cheapest and best way to hone your skills but that is a lost art anymore. I hand my son a list of 20 drills and say, all you gotta do is go out in the driveway and work on em or in the garage.

 

Camps are neat for an experience but are not a necessity. JMO

Camps are way overrated, fun for the kids. A big plus for them is that they can meet and greet a lot of people, other kids, coaches ect. I agree with all who said hire a trainer if need be..

 

If not just get a goal, it's hard to get my little brother to come inside.

All I remember from Don Lanes camp back in 84' was I was taking that hideous photo with Don with the lights flashing. It was a classic photo, my mullett, a few pimples and Don just smiling like a politician. Great camp, I went 8th and 9th grade year and won the Cut Throat competition one of those years. It was cool, they made you play the finals in front of the whole camp. Cut throat was like playing 21.

 

The Sayre gym had no A/C and no one wanted to go there. There was a gym that we walked to that went past a house of ill repute, that was interesting.

 

Really enjoyed it though.

Edited by STRIKE3
edited content

The Sayre gym had no A/C and no one wanted to go there. There was a gym that we walked to that went past a house of ill repute, that was interesting.

 

Really enjoyed it though.

 

Wasnt that Bryan Station's gym right up the street from Transy? I remember playing in Sayre's gym as well. Transy's a neat campus, lot of fun and great memories. I recommend this camp for an overnight. '

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.