• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCreary Central

Wayne County

Southwestern

Boyle County

Those should be the top four, in any order. Southwestern should be much better with young talent and a proven coach. Boyle will be more experienced, but it all depends on how they adapt to a new coach. Wayne will again have talent that can win the region, but Woods hasn't got it back yet. McCreary Central is piled full of talent from the junior class on down. I don't think they have a senior this season, but expect huge years from Watts, Roark, and Wright. The 48th will be the best district this season.

Wayne County , Boyle County and McCreary will get early season publicity. Dont know if any of them have what it takes to get to Rupp- all have great players and some great kids back but all have holes also. These three porb get early season picks.

Mercer County is talented, East will also be extremely better this year, then SW, Lincoln Co, Pulaski County and West always seems to be there in the end should be mentioned in the next tier. I would imagine Rock and Danville being much improved. Also Garrard County had a nice season and return several starters.

Point is look at last years Preseason Polls- they were pretty much off other than Lincoln toward the top. Seems certain teams might not get the Pub but always are there at the end of the season- dont see what the 12th would be any different this year- wide open but a couple coaches will get certain teams a chance at the title- should be a fun and exciting year in the WIDE OPEN 12th :dancingpa

I think it's even more wide open than last year. Does anyone know what Rockcastle has returning.

McCreary, Wayne and SW could all be at the top but only two of them make it to the Region, Probably Rockcastle and Pulaski out of the 47th but I don't know what Casey has coming back, seems like they had several seniors last year.

I don't know as much about the northern districts but I don't think you can count out any of the bigger schools.

Really I don't see anyone being as much ahead of the pack as Lincoln and McCreary seemed to be last year.

West seems to always be in the hunt- they have been the last two years but never really seem to be mentioned as a real threat? Why not?

Wide open is the reason the 12th will be fun next year- we wont know until Feb who the real contenders are- then it is a matter who gets how at the right time and good district draws in the tourney.

Somerset lost 10 seniors! It should be interesting to see if Coach Thacker can win with a young team.

It's not a given that Coach Thacker will be back with Somerset next year. He may be moving on, we should know by Sunday. Whoever coaches the Jumpers will be in for a challenge with a very young team.

I have heard (third hand) that Thacker is leaving. If so Somerset is losing an excellent coach, and a great person. I have a lot of respect for Shawn.

I am by no means close to the Somerset program and do not mean to imply that I have inside information. Every thing I am posting is what I have heard out in the community and are probably just Rumors. For all I know Shawn may not be leaving.

If it is true and he does leave, I would think Coach Adkins ( the girls head coach and long time boys assistant) would be the replacement if he wants it. Other names I have heard thrown around is Al Gover, Chris Fitzgerald, and Darry Burkett.

I have heard that Coach Thacker is taking the coaching job at Rowan Co. It is unfortunate that he is leaving, but I wish him the best of luck. It should be interesting to see who puts in for the Somerset job. There is a lot of young talent at Somerset!

I didn't find out til today that Thacker was possibly out at Somerset. IMO Coach Atkins would be the best fit. As Coach Kinney has said above he has been around this program for awhile.

I like Coach Adkins a lot but I think if Thacker does indeed leave it might be best to make a fresh start and go in a different direction. Now would be the perfect time to do it, the team just graduated 10 seniors and will be very young this season with low expectations. That would be a perfect time for a system change.