Can anyone beat Trinity? In the post season...

Ask Boone County and Ryle how that strategy has worked against Trinity recently.

Ryle for whatever reason came out no huddle after holding Trinity on the first possession. Ryle uses clock and they get out of the first quarter 0-0 instead of going down. I am also not sure why Ryle did not try to force Trinity to run the ball. I am not saying Trinity could not move the ball running. It just eats more clock on top of the fact the TB just got back from a leg injury and played Male the week before. I can not say much about Boone since I have not watched a Boone vs T game since 94.

Trinity plays a 62 when they face teams like Boone and Ryle. They have done that for 10+ years. I never agreed with how either of those teams attacked Trinity. The idea of keeping the game shorter is your best bet for most teams. You are not going to get into a scoring match with them and win very often.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryle for whatever reason came out no huddle after holding Trinity on the first possession. Ryle uses clock and they get out of the first quarter 0-0 instead of going down.

Ryle had two (2) first downs until the fourth quarter when Trinity pulled its starters.

RYLE 1st Punt 3-7 1:13

RYLE 1st Punt 3-4 1:27

RYLE 1st Fumble 2-10 0:37

RYLE 1st Fumble 4-14 1:27

RYLE 2nd Punt 3-5 1:41

RYLE 2nd Punt 7-18 3:03

RYLE 2nd End of half 3-9 0:54

RYLE 3rd Punt 3-5 1:44

RYLE 3rd Downs 4-9 1:56

RYLE 3rd Punt 3-5 1:42

RYLE 3rd Punt 6-9 2:03

RYLE 4th TOUCHDOWN 13-80 4:25

If that game wasn't played in a monsoon, it could have been a 50 or 60 point margin.

That power offense isn't the way to beat Trinity in the playoffs.

Boone's gameplan last year was much more effective.

Ave run play runs 45 sec off the clock. that is from snap till blown dead. If a team runs 3 straight run plays and runs the clock down to under 10 youcan run 3 min off the clock easy. Ryle failed on a wide open PA pass on 2nd down which stopped the clock.

1st poss by T was 3 and out

Ryle 3 ond out

T scores 1 -2 plays later on a screen

So on 2 plays they gain 7 (1 was an INC).

T plays plays 62 vs power. Run speed option. they are locked up Man on the outside. run outside veer. Force/invite T to run the ball. Cuts the game down to a shorter game. It gives you more of a chance then getting into a track meet with them. At that time they had a soph RB coming off a leg injury and after playing one of the best teams in the state. Make the kid carry the ball 20-25+ times during the game.

Now I am not saying Ryle would have won using that concept but it keeps the score down. Against good teams you need them to make a few mistakes. they are 15-18 yr old and they will make mistakes. For all that is good in this world they have Coverdale as the OC which means you have the odds against you right there. You have to make the game shorter unless some how you can run them off the field which unless you are Guz Mazhalen is not going to happen.

Ave run play runs 45 sec off the clock. that is from snap till blown dead. If a team runs 3 straight run plays and runs the clock down to under 10 youcan run 3 min off the clock easy. Ryle failed on a wide open PA pass on 2nd down which stopped the clock.

1st poss by T was 3 and out

Ryle 3 ond out

T scores 1 -2 plays later on a screen

So on 2 plays they gain 7 (1 was an INC).

T plays plays 62 vs power. Run speed option. they are locked up Man on the outside. run outside veer. Force/invite T to run the ball. Cuts the game down to a shorter game. It gives you more of a chance then getting into a track meet with them. At that time they had a soph RB coming off a leg injury and after playing one of the best teams in the state. Make the kid carry the ball 20-25+ times during the game.

Now I am not saying Ryle would have won using that concept but it keeps the score down. Against good teams you need them to make a few mistakes. they are 15-18 yr old and they will make mistakes. For all that is good in this world they have Coverdale as the OC which means you have the odds against you right there. You have to make the game shorter unless some how you can run them off the field which unless you are Guz Mazhalen is not going to happen.

Barrel you make some very good points, however as I think it was rockpride who stated that Boone Co. this past playoff season came with an offensive game plan that for my money is the way to beat T. Ryle did not have enough of a passing game to make this a close game. X has the best running attack in the state year in and year out and they have had to add more passing to the attack then Glaser would like, to beat T and looking at the playoff history of the last several years X has not done so well. You are correct in saying to beat T one must keep the T offense off of the field. As for making T run the ball, come playoff time I always like our chances running the ball as the running attack comes on late in the season for T, so I do not think it would have made much of differance in the outcome or for that matter the margin of score come the final play. Trinity was going to win by a large margin in that game any way you slice it.

Coach Beatty, has his kid's believing they can beat anybody and they can be beaten by anybody.

It appears to me that the Tigers come out from each preseason on a holy terror and just fade week to week as the season goes on. They are always so sure that they are the best team that they burn theirselves out before the playoffs even began. [iE] The 08 seniors did not order regular senior rings because they thought they were going to win the state championship.

Where as the Rocks play at a slower more consertative pace in the first part of the season, then they get everybody in the right spot and speed up a bit in the second part of the season and by the third part of the season (playoffs) they are just playing at a much faster pace then everyone else.

Beatty has made everybody believers and there are no favorites in rock land, he plays the best player at each spot no matter who their family is.

I do hope that X keeps Glazer around, but I see where all the old coaches at X are retiring or being pushed out a bit, but in his time he has been a pretty good coach.

Coverdale never played past 8th grade. He seems to be doing ok. Playing level is over rated. Knowledge and the ability to teach are the keys. Trinity is at an advantage because of Coverdale alone.

I say it will come down to QB play for Trinity this year, which is the position seperating them from others right now. They have had great one for several years now, and Stein stepped up much better than I anticipated. I don't know what they have coming up this year at QB, any thoughts from T fans?

PS Tim Phillips still scares me more than anyone, just as much as Brian did at QB.

They have Cameron Smyth, an athletic, gritty senior, who played some as receiver last year in addition to backup QB. He is bigger than either Stein or Nick Petrino. I think he will do just fine. BTW, I also think T will be pretty tough to handle up front on defense in the box, but we shall see.

They have Cameron Smyth, an athletic, gritty senior, who played some as receiver last year in addition to backup QB. He is bigger than either Stein or Nick Petrino. I think he will do just fine. BTW, I also think T will be pretty tough to handle up front on defense in the box, but we shall see.

Yes, I agree whole-heartedly that this is a season Trinity could rely on it's defense and be favorites for the crown. Class 6A is extremely top heavy.

Manual, Male, Ballard, Henry Clay.....they all lost many starters and will need to reload. Boone schools have to stock Cooper High with their young players.

Marshall County will most likely have to come to St. Matthews in week three of the playoffs.

I believe Cam Smyth will do well. Kragthorpe will be the main JV QB.

Coach Coverdale is an excellent teacher of the system.

Coach Coverdale, as done the entire staff, buys into and stresses Beatty's system. They are indeed a team. It is a proven system and new kids step in and step up every year.

By the way, condolensces to the family of former Coach Dennis Schrecker, who passed away last week. Great guy and he was a big help while at Trinity, prior to returning to his alma mater, Male, where he is now in their Hall of Fame.