Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Arrez Henderson from Covington Holmes

Featured Replies

  • Author

There is a lot to be said for being a Kentucky kid, going to UK, keeping your nose clean, and graduating. Kids like that get taken care of around here after school is done. If I was his dad I would tell him to go to UK, get your education, and take advantage of the network that is created for you by doing things right.

  • Replies 90
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henderson qualifies for finacial aid. With his grades and ACT scores, he also qualifies for financial grants that makes his ride free. Gillispie callled the Monday after the state tournament to tell Henderson about this. It still is up in the air though. Lousinana Tech has been with Henderson for a while now and if they offer him a full ride, I can see him going there.

 

That's not a walk-on scholarship. That would be available to him even if he decides to go to UK as just a student and not play basketball. But that is good that his tuition would not be based on basketball.

I'd say so. He had a 3.5 gpa and scored a 25 on his ACT. I believe you only need a 21 or 22 to get in to UK.
18 to get into a state college.

I think those of you saying Henderson wouldn't play at all are way off base. He might sit the bench his freshman and sophomore year and see the floor in blow outs, but by his junior year he would be a contributor off the bench.

 

BCG will have had time to develop him by then. Also he has proved he can guard D1 guards and shut them down. Henderson will by no means be an offensive player in college, but BCG will use Henderson for his defense. He wouldn't want the kid to come there and been on the phone with him 2 days after the state championship if he wasn't going to use him. I think some of you need to realize that.

 

Also, who's to say after his first or second year he doesn't EARN a scholarship for busting his tail and proving himself in practice.

I think those of you saying Henderson wouldn't play at all are way off base. He might sit the bench his freshman and sophomore year and see the floor in blow outs, but by his junior year he would be a contributor off the bench.

 

BCG will have had time to develop him by then. Also he has proved he can guard D1 guards and shut them down. Henderson will by no means be an offensive player in college, but BCG will use Henderson for his defense. He wouldn't want the kid to come there and been on the phone with him 2 days after the state championship if he wasn't going to use him. I think some of you need to realize that.

 

Also, who's to say after his first or second year he doesn't EARN a scholarship for busting his tail and proving himself in practice.

 

Anything can happen. :thumb: Best of luck to Arrez! It has been a pleasure watching him play the last 6 years.

There is no such thing as a "walk-on scholarship." That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard....

I don't think under BCG system that a walk on player is necessary going to set the bench for four years. Example Mark Coury. IMO, Henderson is a better player then Porter and he has gotten a lot of playing time. I know maybe under different circumstances these two player would not play, but the fact is they do. I can see Henderson as a very good role player, and getting playing time down the road. From what I have seen and heard Henderson is a hard worker and a good kid. I for one hopes he becomes a Wildcat. If he is a true blue fan I can see him taking a walk on over some other school. I wish Arrez the best in what ever he decides to do.

The biggest question right now is will Louisiana Tech offer Henderson a full ride. They are a D1 school as well (WAC) and if Henderson can go there and play sooner I see him accepting that over a walk on at UK.

 

I'm sure he and his mother will sit down and discuss this thoroughly. They are very close and will decide what's best for him and his future.

I think those of you saying Henderson wouldn't play at all are way off base. He might sit the bench his freshman and sophomore year and see the floor in blow outs, but by his junior year he would be a contributor off the bench.

 

BCG will have had time to develop him by then. Also he has proved he can guard D1 guards and shut them down. Henderson will by no means be an offensive player in college, but BCG will use Henderson for his defense. He wouldn't want the kid to come there and been on the phone with him 2 days after the state championship if he wasn't going to use him. I think some of you need to realize that.

 

Also, who's to say after his first or second year he doesn't EARN a scholarship for busting his tail and proving himself in practice.

 

I would change would to could in that first statement, without a doubt.

 

He will never play. He is a 6'1 kid that cant play PG and can't shoot. He is bringing him in there to bring up the defensive intensity in practice, but when Billy G is bringing in 6'4 and above guys to play Henderson's position and those guys can already play offense as well, it doesnt bode well for him.

 

You are right he will use Henderson for his defense....in practice.

 

If you have a kid already there and not having to pay for anything, why would he need to take up one of the few scholarships you have? Not happening.

The biggest question right now is will Louisiana Tech offer Henderson a full ride. They are a D1 school as well (WAC) and if Henderson can go there and play sooner I see him accepting that over a walk on at UK.

 

I'm sure he and his mother will sit down and discuss this thoroughly. They are very close and will decide what's best for him and his future.

 

Louisiana Tech is in the WAC? As in the Western Athletic Conference?

Louisiana Tech is in the WAC? As in the Western Athletic Conference?

 

Yes, Western Athletic Conference.

 

And as far as him not playing and only being brought in as a "practice player', I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I consider it a moot point right now since it's not even a given he'll end up there.

 

He can obviously play D1 though otherwise D1 coaches(including BCG) wouldn't be on the phone with him. I think we can let that debate rest.

Yes, Western Athletic Conference.

 

And as far as him not playing and only being brought in as a "practice player', I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I consider it a moot point right now since it's not even a given he'll end up there.

 

He can obviously play D1 though otherwise D1 coaches(including BCG) wouldn't be on the phone with him. I think we can let that debate rest.

 

Do they realize what part of the country they are in?

 

He got offered a walk on spot. Woopty-freakin-doo! Think about some of the walk-ons at UK. Who has really contributed in the recent past that was a walk on besides Mills and Ravi? It has been stated many times that BCG likes to have a good supply of walk ons.

 

One more time, for good measure. If his shot and handle, or his quickness with the ball do not improve, he will NEVER play meaningful minutes at UK. He has to find a way to score besides just ending up with the ball under the basket. Newsflash, getting boards in high school or catching passes in the lane in high school is a different world than doing the same in college.

Why do you continue knock this kid? If you have nothing good to say, then do us all a favor, and close your hole.

 

I can state any opinion I want within the rules of BGP. Deal with it. If you dont like it, dont read it. Not too hard. Maybe you can eventually figure that out.

Do they realize what part of the country they are in?

 

He got offered a walk on spot. Woopty-freakin-doo! Think about some of the walk-ons at UK. Who has really contributed in the recent past that was a walk on besides Mills and Ravi? It has been stated many times that BCG likes to have a good supply of walk ons.

 

One more time, for good measure. If his shot and handle, or his quickness with the ball do not improve, he will NEVER play meaningful minutes at UK. He has to find a way to score besides just ending up with the ball under the basket. Newsflash, getting boards in high school or catching passes in the lane in high school is a different world than doing the same in college.

 

So getting offered a walk on spot at one of the elite colleges in the country isn't a big deal? How many other seniors in KY this year have been offered anything from UK or been recruited by them outside of Miller and Hopson? I'd say it is a pretty big deal having an elite college and coach calling you asking you to come play for him whether it be on scholarship or as a walk on considering there are thousands of other kids out there across the country to choose from.

 

Also, one more time "for good measure", I believe it has been stated Henderson wouldn't play right away and would have to develop some of his offensive skills a little more. But as far as him ending up with the ball under the basket to score, I think you need to see a kid more than 4 times before judging their offensive skills.

 

I believe Henderson did end up with 18 against KY's Mr. Basketball and I re-watched the game. Only one of Henderson's shots were uncontested and that was his break away dunk. He had 10 points alone off of drives in the lane with Miller on him. I believe Miller is 6'7 and Henderson is barely 6'1. You make it sound like all of Henderson's points come from easy lay ups. You're wrong my friend.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.