Most wins in NKY

With all of the talk of Holmes running the table and winning both districts and region, I started to wonder would their 32-1 record heading to Rupp be the most wins in a season by a nky team?

In the past 10 years, Newcath, Highlands, and St Henry have all reached the 30 win plateau. If Holmes wins out in the regular season (27-1), district (29-1), and win their first 2 games of regionals and make it to the Region championship, that would give them 31 wins and they would pass the mark set by those three. (32 wins if they head to Rupp.)

What is the next most wins in nky by a team after the 30 win mark? I guess we need some of the old timers to chime in on this one. ;)

With all of the talk of Holmes running the table and winning both districts and region, I started to wonder would their 32-1 record heading to Rupp be the most wins in a season by a nky team?

In the past 10 years, Newcath, Highlands, and St Henry have all reached the 30 win plateau. If Holmes wins out in the regular season (27-1), district (29-1), and win their first 2 games of regionals and make it to the Region championship, that would give them 31 wins and they would pass the mark set by those three. (32 wins if they head to Rupp.)

What is the next most wins in nky by a team after the 30 win mark? I guess we need some of the old timers to chime in on this one. ;)

1978 Holmes was 34-2 and state runner-up, 31-1 into state.

Has any other nky team won more than 34 games in a season? Or is that the most ever?

I'd say it is the most ever because the only way to beat that would be go undefeated until the state final and since SK is the only state champion and they didn't go undefeated I can't imagine a better record.

I am pretty sure the 1984 NewCath team was 33-1 and #1 going into the state tournament. They lost in the first round.

Holmes 1980 team was 31-2 and #2 going into the state tournament and finished 33-3 losing in the state-semi's.

I am pretty sure the 1984 NewCath team was 33-1 and #1 going into the state tournament. They lost in the first round.

Holmes 1980 team was 31-2 and #2 going into the state tournament and finished 33-3 losing in the state-semi's.

I think you are correct about NCC.

I never know where Mason County fits from a geographical standpoint. They're not in the 8th/9th regions - traditional "NKY territory". However, the 10th includes Brossart, Campbell County, Scott and several other schools considered to be in NKY. Mason isn't aligned with central KY or eastern KY either - kind of in a no man's land.

Anyway, the Royals were 35-2 in the 2003 season, and followed up with a 33-3 mark the next year. 68-5 over a two year span.

Highlands may have won 34 games in either 97 or 98, I'm almost sure they did one of those years, and they won 30 back to back.

I'm not too sure that Highlands won 34 one year. I know the year with Neltner they won 30, but I'd check to make sure.

Actually, going back to the 97-98 year, only St Henry and NewCath have reached 30 wins in a season.

99-00 NCC 30-6 (lost to Male in 1st round 61-41)

02-03 St Henry 30-5 (Lost to Mason Co by 2 in 1st round)

Highlands was also 27-3 this year.

The only other team to come close to 30 wins was CCH in 03-04 when they were 29-4 and went to the state semis.