Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Parenting Question?

Featured Replies

Hypothetical situation.

 

Let's pretend that I am the parent of a fine high school basketball player or maybe even two. Furthermore, let's pretend that both of my children are on the same high school basketball team, could be boys or girls, makes no difference really. Knowing full well that I will be at every game, let's say that I agree to perform a service for the team prior to the season...oh, let's say that I am the scorebook keeper or maybe the videographer. As the season unfolds the team is having a record year, the best in school history; however, in my opinion, in spite of the unbelievable start by the team, I feel that my kids are not getting to shoot the ball enough.

 

I think I will quit, in protest, even if it causes a disruption right before the biggest game of the year.

 

What do you think of that?

  • Replies 61
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical situation.

 

Let's pretend that I am the parent of a fine high school basketball player or maybe even two. Furthermore, let's pretend that both of my children are on the same high school basketball team, could be boys or girls, makes no difference really. Knowing full well that I will be at every game, let's say that I agree to perform a service for the team prior to the season...oh, let's say that I am the scorebook keeper or maybe the videographer. As the season unfolds the team is having a record year, the best in school history; however, in my opinion, in spite of the unbelievable start by the team, I feel that my kids are not getting to shoot the ball enough.

 

I think I will quit, in protest, even if it causes a disruption right before the biggest game of the year.

 

What do you think of that?

 

When you take on that responsibility, you should follow through no matter what. What would it be saying if you quit to you kids? Should they quit?

Hypothetical situation.

 

Let's pretend that I am the parent of a fine high school basketball player or maybe even two. Furthermore, let's pretend that both of my children are on the same high school basketball team, could be boys or girls, makes no difference really. Knowing full well that I will be at every game, let's say that I agree to perform a service for the team prior to the season...oh, let's say that I am the scorebook keeper or maybe the videographer. As the season unfolds the team is having a record year, the best in school history; however, in my opinion, in spite of the unbelievable start by the team, I feel that my kids are not getting to shoot the ball enough.

 

I think I will quit, in protest, even if it causes a disruption right before the biggest game of the year.

 

What do you think of that?

 

Excellent question. IMO, it seems that I (the said parent) want things to be about me and not my kids. If the "Team" is having this record year, then obviously, the coach knows what he or she is doing with the players. It's the kids game, let them play it.

 

I (the parent) want to be involved with my kids, fine. But to quit before the biggest game of the year, not only affects the "teams" performance as well as the individuals performance because, now instead of worrying about the game at hand, I (boy or girl player) have to worry about my selfish parent.

 

Just my opinon.

Advice to coaches- don't let parents do things that are important to the team. It never works out.

Hypothetical situation.

 

Let's pretend that I am the parent of a fine high school basketball player or maybe even two. Furthermore, let's pretend that both of my children are on the same high school basketball team, could be boys or girls, makes no difference really. Knowing full well that I will be at every game, let's say that I agree to perform a service for the team prior to the season...oh, let's say that I am the scorebook keeper or maybe the videographer. As the season unfolds the team is having a record year, the best in school history; however, in my opinion, in spite of the unbelievable start by the team, I feel that my kids are not getting to shoot the ball enough.

 

I think I will quit, in protest, even if it causes a disruption right before the biggest game of the year.

 

What do you think of that?

 

I say grow up, act like an adult and do the job you've agreed to do.

I have a feeling this "hypothetical" situation either isn`t hypothetical or soon won`tbe hypothetical. When will this become a reality?

IMO if a person/parent volunteers to perform a function/service for the TEAM then their focus should be what is best for the TEAM.

 

I have always taught my child to complete what they start whether it be a sport, club, job, band etc. I've always said to "complete this year and don't do it next year". If I on the other hand, quit in the middle of one of my responsibilies, what kind of example would that be setting?

IMO if a person/parent volunteers to perform a function/service for the TEAM then their focus should be what is best for the TEAM.

 

I have always taught my child to complete what they start whether it be a sport, club, job, band etc. I've always said to "complete this year and don't do it next year". If I on the other hand, quite in the middle of one of my responsibilies, what kind of example would that be setting?

 

 

That is exactly what I have always told my kids, and it has worked out, in that they have learned to work through problems and see that is about the TEAM not the individual.

 

Most people who are concerned with the team help regardless of wether their child is on the team or not. Sometimes the kid will pass through while the parent is helping, but under no circumstances should the parent feel like he/she is owed anything, they are doing it for the team and they should not put the coach in a position where they put pressure on him to play the kid. It is wrong for the parent to think that because they are helping the program that they are owed anything anyway!!!

Do your job as you committed to doing. You are an adult, be a role model for the kids.

I say you should talk to the coach and tell him you are not going to be able to do the job anymore and give him a game or two to find a replacement. Don't talk about your kids not getting to shoot the ball because they are obviously playing. Then set in the stands and complain like the rest of the parents do so that some of the people you are complaining to can tell you what it is like to go to the games to watch their kids sit the bench.

This is why coaches should be extremely careful in having parents be involved with the team. Not shooting enough? It's not all about scoring.There are other aspects to the game. The coach should not be thinking about individual results but what the team is doing. Quitting sets a poor example for the kids.

This is why coaches should be extremely careful in having parents be involved with the team. Not shooting enough? It's not all about scoring.There are other aspects to the game. The coach should not be thinking about individual results but what the team is doing. Quitting sets a poor example for the kids.

 

If your team is doing so well, then it appears your child not getting enough shots off is working for the team! So why are you complaining, least he/she gets to play unlike several on the team I'm sure.. support the coaches and the players and do the job you agreed to do!

When you take on that responsibility, you should follow through no matter what. What would it be saying if you quit to you kids? Should they quit?

 

Couldn't have said it better! :thumb:

If your team is doing so well, then it appears your child not getting enough shots off is working for the team! So why are you complaining, least he/she gets to play unlike several on the team I'm sure.. support the coaches and the players and do the job you agreed to do!

 

TEAM! If you want to see more individual play out of your child maybe they should play a different sport.

You would be teaching your kids that quitting would be alright!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.