Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Shelby Valley for real?

Featured Replies

They sit at 7-1 right now with wins over Male and DeSales and a 5 point loss to J-town @ J-town.

 

 

Are they for real in your guys minds?

 

 

Compete at the state tourney this year?

Shelby Valley earned a little more respect this week with their performance at Jeffersontown, especially in the final.

I had watched them play at Ashland tand they are a very sound team. There were several times that the ball wouldnt hit the floor in their offense and score. Their not to flashy but they get the job done.

The basketball IQ of this team is very high. I think Valley felt like they didnt play to their potential last year in the state tourney and they have a chip on their shoulder to show that they can play with teams outside the mountains. They have a win over Ashland, Male, DeSales, and sounds like they played a good game against J-town. They have very good gaurds and are extemely unselfish as Ol Dad eluded too. Glad to see that you guys are at least talking about this.:thumb:

I saw the Jtown game and they had a good chance to win. They had fought back from 7 down in the 4th quarter and took a 2 point lead and had the ball when one of the players took an off-balance shot which led to a transition bucket that swung the momentum back to Jtown. Granted they're a young team but with a few better decisions late in the game, they could have won.

 

They will be a tough out for anybody if they make it to state.

I thought they were a fluke, but a buddy of mine saw them real early and said that they were really good.

Then they go to Ashland and beat them, and then beat Male...

Have heard nothing but kudos regarding SV.

 

Same can be said for Elliott County.

Had one person tell me that they were very legit...sprint floor and shoot it really well...

Shelby Valley is for real IMO, I would think this is maybe the year that SV (provided they win the 15th,which they are favored) and Elliott Co. win in the 1st rd. at Rupp.

I have read up on this team, and heard different things from different people, but seeing how they are beating teams, they seem very soild, only time will tell if they are for real!

  • Author

Basketball IQ is outstanding and E. Justice is as good a PG as there is in the state.

 

 

Only concern I have for them is lack of low post size, as the gaurds are all good size but no low post threat.

I don't think Shelby Valley is in the same league as teams like Mason Co., Scott Co., and a few others... However, they are capable of playing with the next tier of top teams in the state. Also, agree with the statement on Elisha Justice... He plays a very large part in the success of Shelby Valley.

Shelby Valley is for real to a certain degree IMO. They are a very good story, one that I have grown to respect and appreciate very much. This team absolutely gets more out of their talent than any other team in the state of Kentucky, but I actuallly wonder whether or not they have enough talent to be successful against the best the state has to offer later in the year. They play ball year round and only have I think one kid that plays football in their top 7 or 8 and he doesnt start, so they have come into the early season the last couple years at the very top of their game while other programs that have key players playing football late or maybe do not have their entire team returning like SV and it takes time for them to reach the top of their game. SV can compete with anyone right now, but once some of the stronger teams with size and strength inside and quality guard play reach their peak they will be able to handle SV's pressure defense and have a better shot at beating them. SV really doesnt have a strong inside game, but they do score inside as a result of being so fundamentally sound with their ball movement and great passing, I just dont see them having an answer defensively against a team with great interior play along with good guards, but there is probably only a handful or two of them out there. Having said all of that, I would say they are very dangerous and will be a tough out for anyone now or in March.

  • Author
I don't think Shelby Valley is in the same league as teams like Mason Co., Scott Co., and a few others... However, they are capable of playing with the next tier of top teams in the state. Also, agree with the statement on Elisha Justice... He plays a very large part in the success of Shelby Valley.

 

 

 

This is a bold statement but IMVHO he is the best, most complete player east of Lexington................

Saw them play in the Corbin tourney last year and was impressed with how hard they competed. They seemed like a well coached team who executed the game plan well. Corbin played poorly in the loss to the Valley but SV deserved the win. SV fans were easily the most annoying I have ever encountered . Had very low basketball IQ(cried at every call). I would have liked to see the team play again the year but won't miss the fans at all.

Saw them play in the Corbin tourney last year and was impressed with how hard they competed. They seemed like a well coached team who executed the game plan well. Corbin played poorly in the loss to the Valley but SV deserved the win. SV fans were easily the most annoying I have ever encountered . Had very low basketball IQ(cried at every call). I would have liked to see the team play again the year but won't miss the fans at all.

 

And what fans don't say something at a call by the refs for their team? It doesn't matter, they're caught up in the game.

 

 

I agree Shelby Valley has a poor fan base for their level of basketball achievement but to say they have a very low basketball IQ is off by a long shot.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.