Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Emphasis on scoring..

Featured Replies

  • Author

I love it when I see a teammate on the bench, standing up and cheering when someone makes a three. Unfortunately, there are some that are not has happy for the girl.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amber Harris (who now plays at Xaiver U) dunked on my team in a tournament in Indianapolis when she was a junior. My player wasn't sure if she was embarrassed, or like: "cool, I just got dunked on".... haha

 

That's Funny!!

Just saw in the paper that some kid set the college record for assists in a game with 34. That is a lot of assists.

Just saw in the paper that some kid set the college record for assists in a game with 34. That is a lot of assists.

 

Wow! do you know what the final score was.

I agree that the assist need to be mentioned along with who gets points. I was recently at a girls game and seen a stat sheet that the official stat keeper had The stat sheet read the winning team with 84 points, the winning team with 1 assist. That my friends is ridiculous stat keeping.

This a a great topic and I would have to say that if you read what it is the papers every day it is biased toward scoring which is unfortunate. I think that Larry Bird said it best on an interview when he was discussing the success of his Indiana State team- " ...We were successful because the players understood their roles and abilities and played within themselves. They didn't try to do something they were not as good at - not everyone can be a scorer but they can be the best at passing, dribbling, defense, or rebounding. " That is not word for word but it was a great interview.

 

I think we need to stress all the apsects of the game-that it takes a team of 5 out there functioning as one unit to achieve a goal- winning the game. Everyone who is out there has an impact on that whether it is defense, assists, passing, etc.

 

It seems to me today that we(society) are all consumed with "who gets the credit individually" verses what true team work it is. Teamwork is all about sacrifice without worrying about who gets the individual credit. To me that is where we are lacking- that can come from the parents as much as anything. I agree with 24SMOM, it is what they do on both ends that counts. When a parent is all consumed with their kid scoring points, that causes a kid to feel that way.

 

Bottom line, it is the coaches responsibilty to communicate what they need from each player to ensure overall team success and maybe recoginze the top categories besides scoring- assists, rebounds, charges, etc and parents need to remind their kids that it takes all aspects of the game to win.

  • Author

Wow ...well said crazy8.

This a a great topic and I would have to say that if you read what it is the papers every day it is biased toward scoring which is unfortunate. I think that Larry Bird said it best on an interview when he was discussing the success of his Indiana State team- " ...We were successful because the players understood their roles and abilities and played within themselves. They didn't try to do something they were not as good at - not everyone can be a scorer but they can be the best at passing, dribbling, defense, or rebounding. " That is not word for word but it was a great interview.

 

I think we need to stress all the apsects of the game-that it takes a team of 5 out there functioning as one unit to achieve a goal- winning the game. Everyone who is out there has an impact on that whether it is defense, assists, passing, etc.

 

It seems to me today that we(society) are all consumed with "who gets the credit individually" verses what true team work it is. Teamwork is all about sacrifice without worrying about who gets the individual credit. To me that is where we are lacking- that can come from the parents as much as anything. I agree with 24SMOM, it is what they do on both ends that counts. When a parent is all consumed with their kid scoring points, that causes a kid to feel that way.

 

Bottom line, it is the coaches responsibilty to communicate what they need from each player to ensure overall team success and maybe recoginze the top categories besides scoring- assists, rebounds, charges, etc and parents need to remind their kids that it takes all aspects of the game to win.

 

 

:thumb:

Announcers need to announce the assist as well as the basket.

 

Basket by Birdsfan, assist Rockmom.

What about the kid that gets the offensive rebound or makes the steal? Why not just have no PA announcer and that way it's all or nothing.

 

This begins and ends with the coach. If you have a player that is worried about his or her points and put that ahead of the team, then place them on the piece of wood or row of chairs beside the coach to send a message.

 

After it begins with the coach, it goes to the parent.

 

I know that sounds like a perfect world, but if the problem is as bad as some make it to be, a proper benching in front of everyone could make the player a little more unselfish.

Every kid wants to see their name in the paper and the sad thing is the only way their name makes it , is if they are scoring close to 20 !! The reality is every college coach I have talked with judges a girl by their defense. " Can she stop anyone on the court at this level ? " I have personally heard this at least 30 times in the last couple of months.

 

Both ends of the court are very important ,but if you want to see the court at the next level you better be able to play excellent "D" !!

That too is true- I have heard the college coaches look for more than just scoring as well - defense is huge and along with that, the knowledge of the game.

 

Unfortunately though, unless a kid is on a big time AAU team or 6'2, most coaches won't hear about them unless they are a big scorer. Shouldn't be that way but it is- scoring gets them noticed and ranked higher as a player within their region and those top player names get sent out/read by the scouting services and college ccoaches.

Announcers need to announce the assist as well as the basket.

 

Basket by Birdsfan, assist Rockmom.

I think the announcer mixed up the players. Everybody knows Rockmom is more of a power forward....and I couldn't make a basket to save my life!

Hey, wait a second! What am I doing in a girls' basketball game anyway?! :irked:

That too is true- I have heard the college coaches look for more than just scoring as well - defense is huge and along with that, the knowledge of the game.

 

Unfortunately though, unless a kid is on a big time AAU team or 6'2, most coaches won't hear about them unless they are a big scorer. Shouldn't be that way but it is- scoring gets them noticed and ranked higher as a player within their region and those top player names get sent out/read by the scouting services and college ccoaches.

 

I agree. When ranking players in the region, you won't see an 18-20 point scorer in the bottom half of the list. The higher the points, the higher you'll get ranked. Very rarely will someone get ranked with maybe 5 points a game with maybe 10 assists, or 10 steals. It's a shame we can't look at the whole picture instead of just scoring, because I think this makes some players selfish with the ball and concerned about their future instead of their team's.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.