December 9, 200718 yr When you are missing 2 senior and starters....it makes a differnce. Not if you are 17% of the UK fans.
December 9, 200718 yr A few observations from this one. Roberts is a nice player...even though he didnt have great numbers today, Chris Wright is going to be a bigtime player for the Flyers. He loved UK and wanted to be recruited and wanted to visit, but Tubby pooh-poohed him....many UK fans in the Dayton area were really bummed they didn't work him harder. UL simply cannot hide Caracter on defense. He is that bad of a defender. UL's transition defense was nowhere to be found today. THey miss Padgett dearly. Why anyone would guard Williams beyond 17 feet is silly. What has happened to Sosa? This looks like a fractured team and one that is looking to get theirs. I know that Pitino tossed them out of practice one day this week...either Monday or Tuesday. Threw them out and told them to come back at 10PM then chased them into lockerroom and said forget it...don't come back. One bright spot...Preston Knowles for the Ville.
December 9, 200718 yr Gold...Preston got his name mentioned on SportsCenter this evening. Either he scored or got an assist not sure which but I did hear his name. Knowles had 5 points in 10 minutes of action. UofL was picked in the preseason to win the Big East.
December 9, 200718 yr Gold...Preston got his name mentioned on SportsCenter this evening. Either he scored or got an assist not sure which but I did hear his name. UofL was picked in the preseason to win the Big East. I think he ended up with 5 points and played quite abit of minutes.:thumb: Only caught the 2nd half and he was in at the very end of the game as well.
December 9, 200718 yr Gold, I was looking on UofL's website & I saw that Preston's favorite subject is English...You wouldn't happen to be an English teacher would you?
December 9, 200718 yr A disappointing loss indeed, but it's not like Dayton is a program without history and tradition. You are so right, they were National Runner Ups in 1967. Outside of that they have as many Final Four appearances as I do. They haven't been past the first round since 1990. UL fans can spin this all they want but Padgett has been a MUCH bigger loss than anyone wants to admit. Could UL be the only team in recent memory to start the football and basketball season in the top 10 and not play a single post season game?
December 9, 200718 yr Gold...Preston got his name mentioned on SportsCenter this evening. Either he scored or got an assist not sure which but I did hear his name. Knowles had 5 points in 10 minutes of action. UofL was picked in the preseason to win the Big East. So proud of him....look for his PT time to go up with each game...not for his scoring, but his defense. That is why he played over Sosa the last 5 minutes of the game. I think he ended up with 5 points and played quite abit of minutes.:thumb: Only caught the 2nd half and he was in at the very end of the game as well. Preston did not play in the first half. I think I read where he played around 13 minutes...all in the second half. Gold, I was looking on UofL's website & I saw that Preston's favorite subject is English...You wouldn't happen to be an English teacher would you? I have taught many subjects over my 27 years of teaching....English has been one...:sssh: PM me and sent a link to the web site..would love to read it.
December 9, 200718 yr You are so right, they were National Runner Ups in 1967. Outside of that they have as many Final Four appearances as I do. They haven't been past the first round since 1990. UL fans can spin this all they want but Padgett has been a MUCH bigger loss than anyone wants to admit. Could UL be the only team in recent memory to start the football and basketball season in the top 10 and not play a single post season game? I think they'll be fine. There's far less uncertainty about this basketball season than there was football. It just means the sophs will need to grow up a lot sooner.
December 9, 200718 yr You are so right, they were National Runner Ups in 1967. Outside of that they have as many Final Four appearances as I do. They haven't been past the first round since 1990. UL fans can spin this all they want but Padgett has been a MUCH bigger loss than anyone wants to admit. Could UL be the only team in recent memory to start the football and basketball season in the top 10 and not play a single post season game?1) Than anyone wants to admit? Better go back and look at the Padgett injury thread. 2) Your chicken little dance is moderately funny, since David will be back soon enough.
December 9, 200718 yr A few observations from this one. Roberts is a nice player...even though he didnt have great numbers today, Chris Wright is going to be a bigtime player for the Flyers. He loved UK and wanted to be recruited and wanted to visit, but Tubby pooh-poohed him....many UK fans in the Dayton area were really bummed they didn't work him harder. UL simply cannot hide Caracter on defense. He is that bad of a defender. UL's transition defense was nowhere to be found today. THey miss Padgett dearly. Why anyone would guard Williams beyond 17 feet is silly. What has happened to Sosa? This looks like a fractured team and one that is looking to get theirs. I know that Pitino tossed them out of practice one day this week...either Monday or Tuesday. Threw them out and told them to come back at 10PM then chased them into lockerroom and said forget it...don't come back. One bright spot...Preston Knowles for the Ville. 1) Dayton does have some good scorers. 2) Caracter played some OK defense in spots, had a couple of blocks. Rotation was disgusting, though, he has a problem of locking on in defense and ignoring the situation. The other problem yesterday was all of the second chances that Dayton was getting after Caracter and Clark would play well on the first attempt and allow another crack at it through poor fundamentals. 3) The transition D was terrible, nobody cut them off beyond 5 feet of the hoop. Laziness, mental mistakes. Our defense in general, even our zone which has been good, was bad. 4) No kidding. Since David has been out, Louisville's frontcourt on offense has been fine. Caracter, Clark and Williams are carrying the team's scoring. The guards, on the other hand, have been hide the children bad. In my opinion, what's missing is the way that David distributed from the post when he would draw double teams, the respect he would command while teams still had to honor the other front court players. His high basketball IQ is missing from the sophomores on Louisville's team. I think there's a similar problem at UK, as far as post play dictating how the guards play. 5) Oh Lord, please let UK not guard T-Will from 17 on. Give him space and time to not overplay himself, and he's a good shooter. 10-26 on the season is not give him his shot bad. 6) Sosa didn't play as much over the summer as he should have, due to injury, and his confidence took a nose dive when he came back and wasn't an all-world player. I believe Pitino was talking about Sosa more than anyone when he said that players were taking practice evaluations too hard in the press conference yesterday. 7) These guys like to play together. The only player I saw hogging the ball yesterday was Clark, his court vision was terrible. He passed up so many open looks for the guards to try and crash yesterday, and when he tried to do too much at the end it made a big impact on our loss. Pitino sat him at the end, it's going to be a bad few days for Earl where the boss man is concerned. It's a tough situation, though, because Clark is a man that they need to have the ability to take over games, that killer instinct, and he didn't have it last year. He's getting it more now, but you have temper that as well. 8) Knowles is a real gem for us. When Pitino says how glad he is that we took him, he isn't blowing smoke about a marginal scholarship player.
December 9, 200718 yr I haven't posted in this thread yet since I was too busy celebrating yesterday: Dayton's first win over a ranked opponent on the road since 1985 and a Trinity state title... it was a good day for me. This one was very sweet for Dayton fans. After Pitino backed out of the contract last year and refused to play at UD Arena, we beat him in Cincinnati. This year was just icing on the cake. I have been in attendance for each of the last three Dayton-Louisville games, Flyer victories all. 1) Brian Roberts is a nightmare for anyone trying to guard him. Give him a little daylight and he's likely going to make you pay. 28 points and no turnovers... wow... best player in the Atlantic 10. 2) I was blown away at UofL's inability to make plays down low. I understand that Padgett is a huge loss... but jeez, Caracter should have had his way with Huelsman and Cordiero. 3) The Big East is 7-5 so far this season against the A-10 with 7 games between the two conferences yet to be played. Temple v. Villanova and UC at X are both this week. Dayton plays Pitt at UD Arena on Dec. 29 (I'm in section 114). Never thought I'd say this but... go X, beat UC. 4) Louisville fans shouldn't be all too upset about this loss. Unlike last year, where I was genuinely suprised because I thought Dayton was so bad they never should have won... the Flyers have put together a good team. Prior to this matchup, Dayton had won back-to-back road games at Holy Cross and Miami (OH). Mark it down: the Flyers are a tournament team this year.
December 9, 200718 yr UL started 4 sophmores and T-will yesterday. Not having Padget makes this team right now average. Missing his leadership. Also Pitino is trying to get Sosa to play better defense. Until he steps up I think Coach P is fine with him playing limited minutes. Look for Knowles to get more playing time.
December 10, 200718 yr Brian Roberts was the best player on the floor. Dayton is a top 4 Atlantic-10 team.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.