November 14, 200718 yr Ben is outplaying Carson...Everyone says Ben is stupid and arrogant but you never see him arguing with his teammates on the field and on the sideline..:argue: Carson is a great QB. Ben is too. I don't know what there is to argue. Carson isn't having his best year, but the Bengals are terrible this year and that isn't his fault. He can't create a running game and a defense. Big Ben has good coaching and a solid team around him. He's turned into a very good QB just like Palmer.
November 14, 200718 yr Romo has been anything but consistent all year. Did you watch the game vs Buffalo? :laugh: Carson Palmer and Big Ben are both higher than Romo on my list. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Carson Palmer, Big Ben are all great Qb's. You just don't like Romo. I'd say 8 performances that range from solid to spectacular, and one horrible performance qualifies as pretty consistent. If not, then I guess Peyton Manning will have to be knocked down a notch due to his 6 interception performance Sunday night. Romo's worst game other than Buffalo was in week six against New England...his stats in that game? 18/29 (62.1%), 199 Yds, 2 TD, 1 Int (QB Rating = 91.0) One bad game doesn't make a guy inconsistent. Again, if it does, then Peyton Manning has been inconsistent this year, and I don't think anyone would say that. Would they?
November 14, 200718 yr Ben is outplaying Carson...Everyone says Ben is stupid and arrogant but you never see him arguing with his teammates on the field and on the sideline..:argue: There you go.:banana::banana:
November 15, 200718 yr No, but when you're debating two guys who are deemed close, then a Superbowl ring carries a lot of weight. I'm just not very big on the superbowl argument for QB's, there are just way too many factors involved imo. I'm not a Bengals fan but I think Carson is an overall better QB than Ben.
November 15, 200718 yr I'm just not very big on the superbowl argument for QB's, there are just way too many factors involved imo. I'm not a Bengals fan but I think Carson is an overall better QB than Ben. He hasn't been this year. If I were judging them based on their overall careers, I'd personally pick Carson at this point. But, if both continue to play the way they have in '07, then Ben is going to jump ahead of him at some point in my mind. I think the QB position is the toughest position in all of sports...Carson and Ben are still relatively early in their careers. Both have had big time success and both have had struggles. This is a common occurrence for young QB's. I think both are at the point where we should start to consistently see how they're going to be. I really think it's at least 3 or 4 years before QB's really get settled in and totally comfortable and confident in everything. Obviously, there are exceptions with great players like Manning and Brady. And, even with those guys you can see a learning curve that takes some time to level out... Brady sat on the bench his first year, threw 18 TD's and 12 Int's in his second year (first as a starter). His numbers were fairly consistent in year's 3-7, but if you've watched him frequently over that time, I think most people would agree that he's made some noticeable strides in year's 6 and 7. The stats show it to some degree in '05, and I think anyone has to be impressed with what he did last year considering his receiving group. And now, we're seeing him chase records with some great skill players. As for Manning, the stats bear his out more...just look at his TD/Int ratio alone. Year 1 - 26/28 Year 2 - 26/15 Year 3 - 33/15 Year 4 - 26/23 Year 5 - 27/19 Year 6 - 29/10 Year 7 - 49/10 Year 8 - 28/10 Year 9 - 31/9 It's his sixth season when you see his interceptions take a significant drop. Quarterback is definitely one position where I feel people are far too swift in rushing to judgement on how good a player is.
November 15, 200718 yr ^ Great post. I agree that this year Ben has been the better QB. I just personally think that in the past Carson has been better and in the future Carson will prove to be better. Ben is more a grind it out kind of QB and Carson is more like a Mr. Fundamental and I think that is generally what prevails in the NFL. As always though, we'll never really know until it's all said and done.
November 15, 200718 yr You just don't like Romo. I'd say 8 performances that range from solid to spectacular, and one horrible performance qualifies as pretty consistent. If not, then I guess Peyton Manning will have to be knocked down a notch due to his 6 interception performance Sunday night. Romo's worst game other than Buffalo was in week six against New England...his stats in that game? 18/29 (62.1%), 199 Yds, 2 TD, 1 Int (QB Rating = 91.0) One bad game doesn't make a guy inconsistent. Again, if it does, then Peyton Manning has been inconsistent this year, and I don't think anyone would say that. Would they? Tony Romo is a GOOD quarterback. I just don't believe that a guy who hasn't even played a full season yet should be mentioned in the same sentence as Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer and Big Ben.
November 15, 200718 yr So we judge QB's solely on Superbowls now? Wonder if we judge them based on the WRs they're throwing too. IF that's the case, then Ben has won a superbowl with nowhere near the talent that Palmer has had. Carson "ouch my groin goes out in big games" Palmer.
November 16, 200718 yr Wonder if we judge them based on the WRs they're throwing too. IF that's the case, then Ben has won a superbowl with nowhere near the talent that Palmer has had. Carson "ouch my groin goes out in big games" Palmer.[/QUOTE] :confused: He's came out in one big game, and I'd say it was a little bigger than his groin...
November 16, 200718 yr Wonder if we judge them based on the WRs they're throwing too. IF that's the case, then Ben has won a superbowl with nowhere near the talent that Palmer has had. Carson "ouch my groin goes out in big games" Palmer. First of all, we could rate them on the O-line that they are behind (Ben's advantage) or the defense that their team has (Ben's advantage). It's a close call and probably a matter of opinion. And nice work on the Carson insult. Really pertinent to the argument.
November 16, 200718 yr Author First of all, we could rate them on the O-line that they are behind (Ben's advantage) or the defense that their team has (Ben's advantage). It's a close call and probably a matter of opinion. And nice work on the Carson insult. Really pertinent to the argument. The Steeler line is as weak as it's been in some time. Probably still an advantage, but not as great of one as you might think.
November 16, 200718 yr First of all, we could rate them on the O-line that they are behind (Ben's advantage) or the defense that their team has (Ben's advantage). It's a close call and probably a matter of opinion. And nice work on the Carson insult. Really pertinent to the argument. The bottom line is, you can make any excuse you want, but Big Ben has been more successful thus far in his career than young Carson. It hurts don't it.
November 16, 200718 yr The bottom line is, you can make any excuse you want, but Big Ben has been more successful thus far in his career than young Carson. It hurts don't it. He has more SB rings, I wouldn't say that makes him more successful... In what ways has be had a better career?
November 16, 200718 yr Author He has more SB rings, I wouldn't say that makes him more successful... In what ways has be had a better career? He's won more games.
November 16, 200718 yr He's won more games. Kinda goes hand in hand with the SB... Just shows a more successful team, not a more successful QB...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.