Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cincy St X QB Tears ACL

Featured Replies

St. Xavier's top-ranked football team lost senior quarterback John Hurley for the remainder of the season after he tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in his left knee, coach Steve Specht said tonight.

 

Hurley was hurt in the first quarter of Saturday's 45-0 win over Lakewood St. Edward. An MRI today confirmed the torn ACL, Specht said.

 

"It's tough for John, but he's handling it well," Specht said. "He's a winner, and good things come to winners. God's just sending him down a different path."

 

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/SPT030101/310150050

I'm going to assume that Luke Massa is part of the XU Massa bunch???

Wow, that kid was playing very, very well. Really sad to hear.

This is not a big loss for St. Xavier. In fact, some might think the Bombers just got a little better.

 

Only time will tell I guess.

 

-CardinalsFan

This is not a big loss for St. Xavier. In fact, some might think the Bombers just got a little better.

 

Only time will tell I guess.

 

-CardinalsFan

Backup quarterbacks are always perceived to be better but usually are not!

This is not a big loss for St. Xavier. In fact, some might think the Bombers just got a little better.

 

Only time will tell I guess.

 

-CardinalsFan

 

Scoring wise, how does X's defense compare to Colerain's great one from a few years ago?

I know injuries are part of the game. I hate to hear this for any ahtlete.

Scoring wise, how does X's defense compare to Colerain's great one from a few years ago?

 

I know that this wasn't pointed at me, but I'll do my best to answer. UC has two kids starting for their D right now from that team. OSU has two others. They didn't play the schedule of St. X, but in the playoffs they ran right through the GCL teams. I believe Moeller scored 14 pts. and that was the most a GCL team could muster against them. I believe that they outscored their opponents something like 52-6something per game.

I know that this wasn't pointed at me, but I'll do my best to answer. UC has two kids starting for their D right now from that team. OSU has two others. They didn't play the schedule of St. X, but in the playoffs they ran right through the GCL teams. I believe Moeller scored 14 pts. and that was the most a GCL team could muster against them. I believe that they outscored their opponents something like 52-6something per game.

 

St. X, having played a much tougher schedule than Colerain, is only giving up 8 points a game. Take away the Trinity game and the average goes down to 4.1.

Backup quarterbacks are always perceived to be better but usually are not!

 

Time will tell, but I heard Saturday that the #2 QB came in and threw for 4 or 5 Td.s in that game. They say the #2 is very solid, probably a little stronger passer. This late in the season the key will be the chemistry that is developed with the #2 guy. Many a team's dreams have been lost not due to the dropoff in talent but by the loss of chemistry.

Good luck to the young man (Hurley).

Good luck Bombers. Let's have "St.X - state champs" in Ohio and Ky!:thumb:

Scoring wise, how does X's defense compare to Colerain's great one from a few years ago?

Colerain went 15-0 and was never challenged, in any game that year.

 

This St. X defense is very good.

Not shut-down

Not outstanding

Not great

Very good.

 

During 10 regular season games in 2004, Colerain's starting defense allowed 2 TD's in 40 quarters of play. 2 Td's in 40 quarters...think about that.

 

-CF

I know that this wasn't pointed at me, but I'll do my best to answer. UC has two kids starting for their D right now from that team. OSU has two others. They didn't play the schedule of St. X, but in the playoffs they ran right through the GCL teams. I believe Moeller scored 14 pts. and that was the most a GCL team could muster against them. I believe that they outscored their opponents something like 52-6something per game.

In 2004, Colerain played two GCL teams in the playoffs. The results were as follows:

 

Colerain - 38

Elder - 3

 

Colerain - 34

Moeller - 6

 

During the regular season (10 games), they outscored their opponents 504-76, or roughly by 43 points a game. As you can imagine, once they got to the playoffs, the competition got tougher and the margin of victory dropped to only 40 per game as Colerain outscored their 5 playoff opponents 191-22. Oh....and the defense for Colerain didn't allow a second half point in ANY of the 5 playoff games.

 

Best team to come out of Ohio in at least 50 years, if not ever.

 

So, as you can guess, I can't get overly excited about this St. Xavier defense. Like I said, they are very good. But comparing them to Colerain 2004 is both silly and unnecessary.

 

-CardinalsFan

St. X, having played a much tougher schedule than Colerain, is only giving up 8 points a game. Take away the Trinity game and the average goes down to 4.1.

How do you know it is a "much tougher" schedule? And how would you know how much PT X's starters are getting this year vs. Colerain's in '04? The Bomber's starting defense routinely plays into the 4th quarter.

 

Colerain NEVER played their starting defense into the 4th quarter of any games and most games, they were off the field after one defensive series in the third quarter.

 

-CardinalsFan

I know injuries are part of the game. I hate to hear this for any athlete.

 

I hate to hear this for any athlete.

Scoring wise, how does X's defense compare to Colerain's great one from a few years ago?

 

Like they said above, I had the privilege to go watch that Colerain team and have seen St. X play and I would say that although the St. X D is very good it does not compare to that of the Card's a few years a go (2005?).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.