Simon Kenton 42 Russell 41

Big Fig

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boone beat Mason 42-20 and then beat SK 41-3. I was simply implying how unexact it is to compare scores and come to a conlcusion about what the outcome will be when two good teams hook up next week.

No one was comparing scores? :confused:

No one was comparing scores? :confused:

A Mason Co fan brought up the Boone Co win against SK and considering that Boone beat SK by more points than they beat Mason Co..... Kind of figure thats where it was going.

There will be no train this year, Breathitt, Belfry and Mason are all better in my opinion.

You may very well be right. However, IMO it's just too close to call. Belfry has the solid offense and steller Defense. Breathitt seems to have a steller offense. Not sure about their Defense. Mason seems to just be solid on both sides of the ball. Russell has a very good offense but their defense seems to be very suspect. All in all, 3A is a really fun race just to get to Louisville!!!

I'd say even odds...just MHO.

It was third down with 11 seconds and one time out. You call the play so that if there is a bad snap you down the ball call timeout and line up for a second attempt. I can't believe no one has said this, it was a good call.

I agree with it. The big goofs to me were the onside kick and the penalty on the final play.

:fire: What a great game. Russell #13 Abrams was the man the 1st half and seems like they didn"t use him much the 2nd half ?????? Russell obiviously needs to make some changes in the secondary. Russell up 35 - 19 at the half and it just seemed like they came out flat starting the 2nd half and let the momentum swing to the Pioneers. The dropped pass by #38 could have been the back breaker but Russell survived that. Why not let the clock run down in the single digits and then kick the field goal ??????? But the onside kick was really the real deciding factor. When you pooch kick it for HOW MANY YEARS and it actually worked for the 1st time tonight, Good job #30, and then decide to onside it when your ahead and give the ball to a team that can cover 30 to 50 yrds with one pass ???Understand you dont want the run back and how many times has that happened ??? Not a smart call ????

That catch by #19 was one awesome catch, Great player and all heart.

The positive: This will make the players hungry for Mason Co.

Did not quite understand the radio interview after the game. When you play a game like both of these teams played. A hard fought game. Yes there was some misques on both teams and each team rebounded from them. But to not step up as a coach and point the finger at yourself is not very tasteful to the player, fans, and parents to the kids who play for Russell. Russell fans give there heart also to the Red Devils every week in every sport. Very disrespectful. The players, the fans, and all those that love Russell football know where the blame is if anybody wants to take credit.

:fire::fire::fire:

:fire: What a great game. Russell #13 Abrams was the man the 1st half and seems like they didn"t use him much the 2nd half ?????? Russell obiviously needs to make some changes in the secondary. Russell up 35 - 19 at the half and it just seemed like they came out flat starting the 2nd half and let the momentum swing to the Pioneers. The dropped pass by #38 could have been the back breaker but Russell survived that. Why not let the clock run down in the single digits and then kick the field goal ??????? But the onside kick was really the real deciding factor. When you pooch kick it for HOW MANY YEARS and it actually worked for the 1st time tonight, Good job #30, and then decide to onside it when your ahead and give the ball to a team that can cover 30 to 50 yrds with one pass ???Understand you dont want the run back and how many times has that happened ??? Not a smart call ????

Did not quite understand the radio interview after the game. When you play a game like both of these teams played. A hard fought game. Yes there was some misques on both teams and each team rebounded from them. But to not step up as a coach and point the finger at yourself is not very tasteful to the player, fans, and parents to the kids who play for Russell. Russell fans give there heart also to the Red Devils every week in every sport. Very disrespectful. The players, the fans, and all those that love Russell football know where the blame is if anybody wants to take credit.

I really don't know why we have to throw blame to anyone. I have said it for the past three years. A loss for Russell to a none district team is the best thing that could ever happen to them. It will make them play harder. Look what happened to Russell after the loss to Boyd and Ashland. They only went to the championship game. I'm not saying that that is what is going to happen but it's not a bad thing to loose a game about this time of year.

I'm just curious Yahoo83 you state that Breathett, Belfry, and Mason are all better than Russell in your opinion. Who were they playing when you watched them play?? Comparing football teams is very hard to do at this level. I can assure you win or loose the Russell players will leave it all out on the field when they play Mason County.

There were mistakes by alot of people. Players and coaches alike. Blaming one person or one call is futile. Dropped passes, Silly penalties, wrong decisions..... It all happened, as it does in every game. There is plenty of blame to go around and alot of right now needs to go to some of the Russell fans. There is nothing wrong with second guessing but to act like a loss, as tough to swallow as this one was, to a good 6A team is the end of the world is just ignorant. If anything it is motivation for the playeres and coaches to become better as a team. Something they are very capable of. Actually I am encouraged and like Russell's chances the rest of the way.

Also don't forget that there were two teams out there and SK played with heart and never gave up. They earned that victory in a hard hitting and very entertaining football game.

There were mistakes by alot of people. Players and coaches alike. Blaming one person or one call is futile. Dropped passes, Silly penalties, wrong decisions..... It all happened, as it does in every game. There is plenty of blame to go around and alot of right now needs to go to some of the Russell fans. There is nothing wrong with second guessing but to act like a loss, as tough to swallow as this one was, to a good 6A team is the end of the world is just ignorant. If anything it is motivation for the playeres and coaches to become better as a team. Something they are very capable of. Actually I am encouraged and like Russell's chances the rest of the way.

Also don't forget that there were two teams out there and SK played with heart and never gave up. They earned that victory in a hard hitting and very entertaining football game.

Same page here.

First, if anyone misread my previous post and thought I was blaming a PLAYER for the loss, you did indeed misread it. I was simply pointing out that people are going to blame the poor secondary play or the short kickoff for the loss, then they are wrong. Russell did those things and still had the game won when the clock ended, except for the penalty which allowed them to kick the field goal. Yes, the game isn't over until the final whistle blows, I know all of the cliches, but Russell was still in position to win the game despite all of that.

Yes, the secondary needs TREMENDOUS help in spots, but these are 16-17 year old kids who are taught correct fundamentals and are trying their hardest. The best of the best are already out there, so even though there will probably be some changes made, you can't expect there to be dramatic differences in personnel performance. There is no answer on the bench. We need to just support these kids and hope that they will get better each week.

Great Win for Simon Kenton in the house of Hank! I have to admit I hated to see the streak end tonight, because I was really looking forward to the Rams ending it next year at the Hank, and spoiling the perfect regular season this year. Anyway I'm sure Coach Morris will sure up the defense for next week and the Devil faithful shouldn't panic.......yet(week 10) is still 14 days away!!!

I don't think they'll be panicing in week 10 either. Sorry Blazer!!

I don't see how you can blame the loss on the kid who got the face mask penalty. He was just trying to make a play to help his team win, and though he made a mistake, that is all you can ask of him. What lost this game for Russell was the onside kick. All they had to do was squib it or even pooch it like they had done several times to the second line and then make a tackle and the game was all but over.

That said... this was an incredible game. Russell got out to an early lead, thanks in part to a few mistakes by the Pioneers (Russell scored 3 TD's in about 3 or 4 minutes in the second quarter). The Russell offense was rolling in the first half, not having to punt a single time(at least I don't think they did). SK's passing game came out great too, but a few turnovers contributed to the 35-19 deficit at the half. The second half showed a rejuvinated SK defense only allowing 2 field goals. The passing attack continued to work for the Pioneers staging quite a comeback. SK takes the lead 39-38 with about 4 to go. Russell moves the ball right down the field, converting several times on 4th down. They set themselves up for a game winning field goal that goes through the uprights leaving just over 11 seconds to go. An onside kick, circus catch and facemask later and it is Simon's turn to hit a 31 yard game winner. Great game and great, crazy finish. The boys from Russell have nothing to hang their heads over.

If you don't blame the facemask penalty for the loss, you surely can not blame the onside kick. The Russell staff obviously thought there was a threat of a good return and hindsight is always 20/20. I personally feel as though the facemask penalty was more costly than the onside. The player didn't even need to touch the Simon Kenton player, he was trying to get out of bounds. He came up and made an unfortunate mistake that put Simon is position to win the game.