Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bowling Green and Highlands

Who wins 71 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I can't help but notice that BG and HHS flip-flopped in this week's LIT and Cantrall rankings, such that BG is now no. 1 in 5A and HHS no. 2. HHS retained its first-place position in this week's AP poll, and the weekly BGP rankings are still pending.

 

How do BG and HHS compare? Is there a compelling reason to believe that one team is definitely better than the other right now?

 

Some relevant stats:

 

Bowling Green: 4-1

 

Wins against Boyle County (49-21), North Hardin (36-6), Greenwood (56-0), and Warren Central (62-6)

 

Loss against Trinity (28-39)

 

Opponents' combined W-L record: 8-16

 

Total points: 231

 

Total points allowed: 72

 

 

Highlands: 5-0

 

Wins against Ryle (49-21), Trotwood-Madison, Ohio (24-20), Holmes (52-14), Dixie Heights (44-14), and Covington Catholic (28-14)

 

No losses

 

Opponents' combined W-L record: 11-12

 

Total points: 197

 

Total points allowed: 83

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before last weeks games I probably would have made HHS a 2 touchdown favorite. I've seen all of BGHS's games with the exception of their loss to Trinity which may have been their best performance of the year. My info on HHS comes strictly through family that are very knowledgable and never miss a game so it's not first hand. Plan on seeing the HHS/Lexington Cath. game later in the year. BGHS is much improved on offense and have really opened things up as far as passing is concerned. At first I thought their O-line was a big liability but they have really come together the last few weeks. They also have a 6'6'' wideout that can pick his college that has been unstopable as of late. That being said , If HHS defense is as quick and as deep as I've been told they should be able to pressure Steelman to make some bad decisions. I also think Collinsworth may be able to contain their big wideout especially with a little help. Defensively BGHS does not appear nearly as dominant as they have in the past. They have given up large amounts of rushing yards against their better opponents (Boyle, Trinity) and feel HHS would be able to do the same or even better. I think the biggest factor in HHS's favor is depth. BGHS drops significantly at QB, O-line, D-line and linebacker if they should happen to suffer a few injuries at these positions. Hopefully both teams stay healthy but I think HHS can withstand the injury bug a little better. I still wonder if HHS would have kept BGHS from their first and only state title in 95 if HHS would not have lost their stud QB in the semis while destroying Tim Couch's Leslie County. I guess that's the beauty of having depth across all positions as it sounds HHS is mucher deeper than it has been in years past. All in all I think a BGHS vs HHS finals would be one heck of a game. I know the GURU has seen both teams play against their toughest opponents and can make a much more informed critique of the two teams. I would love to hear what he has to say.

With the exception of Trinity, (which was a loss) , what other quality opponant has Bowling Green played?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And don't anyone go getting all offended, I'm from the north and I'm just not all that familiar with teams from the Western part of the state.;)

No offense taken, Henry! I know you better than that!;) I know that jb's very objective too...so is Leatherneck if he cares to throw his take in here as well. Birdsfan was at the Trinity game too, and I'll let him share his observations if he wants to.

 

1. Boyle Co: a very deceptive 0-5! Every team they've played to date is ranked (as of last week), and all but Lafayette are ranked at least fourth in their respective class. They lost to the Purples by 28, Henry Clay by four (47-43), Danville by seven (21-14), Lafayette by 24 (30-6), and LexCath by two safeties (18-14).

 

2. Trinity: 3-1 record...only loss was to Cincinnati St Xavier, but it was not enough to knock them out of the national Top 20. The Purples had a slim lead on them until halfway through the fourth qtr when Tim Phillips took over and scored two late rushing TDs. I was very proud of the guys...they took the dominant program in Kentucky over the past 39 years (they won their first championship in 1968 v Highlands' first title in 1960) with 17 titles on in their house and stood toe to toe with them...the guys weren't intimidated! Had the Purples been able to hang on to that lead, we would have been talking about #1 BGHS and #2 Highlands I think. The more objective Trinity folks were lavish in their praise in BGHS's effort.

 

3. North Hardin: 1-4, with their only win being over Nelson Co 21-7. They were beaten by Shelby Co 30-27, Warren Central 20-18 (Central scored a TD with just over two minutes left in the game to win), the Purples 36-6 (BGHS played uninspired ball that night, although Trent Steelman set a single game passing yardage record that night), and Greenwood 24-14. Every team that has beaten the Trojans (with the exception of Warren Central) has a winning record. The Trojans are 0-3 against teams from Warren Co (Warren Central, Greenwood, and BGHS).

 

4. Greenwood: 3-2. Besides the Purples, who crushed the Gators 56-0 with a performance that set series records for points and winning margin, the only loss was to highly regarded Warren East 47-19. The Gators could win their first ever district title this year, but the wins haven't been impressive to date (Allen Co-Scottsville 19-7, Meade Co 28-21, and North Hardin 24-14). Their top two QBs were injured in the BGHS game. Greenwood fielded their first varsity team in 1990.

 

5. Warren Central: 1-4. They've dealt with massive graduation losses over the last two years. Ranked in the lower part of the BGP 5A Top Ten throughout the season to date, but it's a pretty sure thing that their surprising mauling at the hands of BGHS 62-6 will drop them out of this week's rankings. BGHS again set new series records for scoring and winning margin (56 points). They have the toughest schedule in Dragon history this year, losing to Henry Clay 33-19, John Hardin 41-26, and Christian Co 23-21 in addition to the Purples. They beat North Hardin as stated earlier. Will most likely have to play BGHS again in the second round of the playoffs.

 

The record compiled by the teams BGHS has beaten is 8-16, but it is deceptive in that Boyle Co and Warren Central have both played tough schedules. Warren East should be unbeaten in eight games when they play at BGHS in Week Ten. Marshall Co could lay claim to the best in the west in 6A when the two meet at Marshall Co in Week Eleven. Franklin-Simpson could have their best team since 1999 this year and features explosive QB Courtney Dalcourt. They meet in Franklin this week. With only Grayson Co (next week) and Barren Co (Week Nine) left to play in the district, it's a safe bet that BGHS has already got the District two title sewed up.

 

Barren Co has already beaten Grayson Co, so Grayson Co will likely be the Purples' first opponent in the postseason. In the third round, things get real interesting, possibly playing John Hardin. In the fourth round, we're possibly looking at facing old rivals Owensboro, Hopkinsville, or Christian Co, although one of the District Four teams could surprise.:D

No offense taken, Henry! I know you better than that!;) I know that jb's very objective too...so is Leatherneck if he cares to throw his take in here as well. Birdsfan was at the Trinity game too, and I'll let him share his observations if he wants to.

 

1. Boyle Co: a very deceptive 0-5! Every team they've played to date is ranked (as of last week), and all but Lafayette are ranked at least fourth in their respective class. They lost to the Purples by 28, Henry Clay by four (47-43), Danville by seven (21-14), Lafayette by 24 (30-6), and LexCath by two safeties (18-14).

 

2. Trinity: 3-1 record...only loss was to Cincinnati St Xavier, but it was not enough to knock them out of the national Top 20. The Purples had a slim lead on them until halfway through the fourth qtr when Tim Phillips took over and scored two late rushing TDs. I was very proud of the guys...they took the dominant program in Kentucky over the past 39 years (they won their first championship in 1968 v Highlands' first title in 1960) with 17 titles on in their house and stood toe to toe with them...the guys weren't intimidated! Had the Purples been able to hang on to that lead, we would have been talking about #1 BGHS and #2 Highlands I think. The more objective Trinity folks were lavish in their praise in BGHS's effort.

 

3. North Hardin: 1-4, with their only win being over Nelson Co 21-7. They were beaten by Shelby Co 30-27, Warren Central 20-18 (Central scored a TD with just over two minutes left in the game to win), the Purples 36-6 (BGHS played uninspired ball that night, although Trent Steelman set a single game passing yardage record that night), and Greenwood 24-14. Every team that has beaten the Trojans (with the exception of Warren Central) has a winning record. The Trojans are 0-3 against teams from Warren Co (Warren Central, Greenwood, and BGHS).

 

4. Greenwood: 3-2. Besides the Purples, who crushed the Gators 56-0 with a performance that set series records for points and winning margin, the only loss was to highly regarded Warren East 47-19. The Gators could win their first ever district title this year, but the wins haven't been impressive to date (Allen Co-Scottsville 19-7, Meade Co 28-21, and North Hardin 24-14). Their top two QBs were injured in the BGHS game. Greenwood fielded their first varsity team in 1990.

 

5. Warren Central: 1-4. They've dealt with massive graduation losses over the last two years. Ranked in the lower part of the BGP 5A Top Ten throughout the season to date, but it's a pretty sure thing that their surprising mauling at the hands of BGHS 62-6 will drop them out of this week's rankings. BGHS again set new series records for scoring and winning margin (56 points). They have the toughest schedule in Dragon history this year, losing to Henry Clay 33-19, John Hardin 41-26, and Christian Co 23-21 in addition to the Purples. They beat North Hardin as stated earlier. Will most likely have to play BGHS again in the second round of the playoffs.

 

The record compiled by the teams BGHS has beaten is 8-16, but it is deceptive in that Boyle Co and Warren Central have both played tough schedules. Warren East should be unbeaten in eight games when they play at BGHS in Week Ten. Marshall Co could lay claim to the best in the west in 6A when the two meet at Marshall Co in Week Eleven. Franklin-Simpson could have their best team since 1999 this year and features explosive QB Courtney Dalcourt. They meet in Franklin this week. With only Grayson Co (next week) and Barren Co (Week Nine) left to play in the district, it's a safe bet that BGHS has already got the District two title sewed up.

 

Barren Co has already beaten Grayson Co, so Grayson Co will likely be the Purples' first opponent in the postseason. In the third round, things get real interesting, possibly playing John Hardin. In the fourth round, we're possibly looking at facing old rivals Owensboro, Hopkinsville, or Christian Co, although one of the District Four teams could surprise.:D

 

Thank you much Haze.:thumb:

 

This really helps me know more about the teams BG has played and will play. Certainly gives me a much better perspective.

The outsiders perception of BGHS is "big record/blowout wins during the season/falter in the big game."

 

Until they overcome that, many will always look at them with a cynical eye.

I remember that state game in 95. I could not go because I had to work and my boss was not a Highlands fan so getting out of work to go to the state game was not a good reason to miss. I would like to see these two teams play in the state title game as a rematch 12 years removed. For some reason, it never works out that the top 2 teams make it all the way to state courtesy of the occasional upset. I just hope that if either gets upset, its not the Birds! I look forward to the rest of the season, especially the cooler temperatures. See you in the VILLE!!!!

P.H. Please quit evading the question and give us a few details! ;)

I am going with the Purples 28-27.

  • Author
I am going with the Purples 28-27.

 

If this is the kind of margin of victory one team may have over another, then is it safe to assume both teams are pretty close together with respect to how good they are?

  • Author
I remember that state game in 95. I could not go because I had to work and my boss was not a Highlands fan so getting out of work to go to the state game was not a good reason to miss. I would like to see these two teams play in the state title game as a rematch 12 years removed. For some reason, it never works out that the top 2 teams make it all the way to state courtesy of the occasional upset. I just hope that if either gets upset, its not the Birds! I look forward to the rest of the season, especially the cooler temperatures. See you in the VILLE!!!!

Last year (2006) in 3A, I'd say the best team in the east (CovCath) played the best team in the west (BG). The previous year (2005), I'd say the best team in the east (LexCath) played the best team in the west (BG). The year before that (2004), I'd say that the best team in the east (Highlands) played the best team in the west (Boyle County). And the year before that (2003), I'd say the best team in the east (Highlands) played the best team in the west (Boyle County).

 

I think that more often than not, the best team in the east met up with the best team in the west, at least in old 3A.

  • Author
Birds by 14.

 

Why?

  • Author
Bluebirds win comfortably.

 

Why? I mean, it seems that BG has a great team with some real studs... HHS has shown that they are not infallible, with the errors they made last week (TDs called back, costly TOs).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.