Corbin vs. Dunbar Predictions

Who wins this game?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this game will be closer than what everyone is thinking. Corbin has a tendency to start out slow though (They have scored a whopping 3 points in their past three opening games, and lost their first 3-4 each season) which I think will be the difference. I doubt that Coach Hensley and his staff are counting on a 2 touchdown + victory in this one. After all the Belfry team that Corbin got shut out by could blank a lot of teams in the state. I'll take PLD in a close one

PLD 17 (Late FG by their stud kicker)

Corbin 14

It depends on which Corbin team shows up. If Corbin shows up and throws all the press clippings away, comes to work, shows emotion pregame and during the game, they'll win the game as they would against 75% teams in this state. If they come still reading the press clippings, not attacking on the defensive front, moping around with their heads hung, they'll get beat. It's as simple as that. The talent is there for Corbin to win the rest of these games. Is the heart and toughness there?

Fellas, I am sure the Dunbar staff appreciates your vote of confidence. However, on the offensive side, they are still a work in progress. Corbin is Corbin, lots of tradition. I am sure Coach Jewell and his staff will have the Hounds ready to play on Friday. I am sure the PLD staff will not let their kids get the fatheads either.

It depends on which Corbin team shows up. If Corbin shows up and throws all the press clippings away, comes to work, shows emotion pregame and during the game, they'll win the game as they would against 75% teams in this state. If they come still reading the press clippings, not attacking on the defensive front, moping around with their heads hung, they'll get beat. It's as simple as that. The talent is there for Corbin to win the rest of these games. Is the heart and toughness there?

I think there is only one team for Corbin (at least after one game). They are going to have to understand that they are Corbin and Corbin has always run the ball and that should be their bread and butter and let the passing be the desert.

I agree Corbin could win this game but I don't look for it, they appear to be sold on the pass. I think Campbell should be the one the offense is built around not Cashen, but that decision was made along time ago.

I want to say the mountain team will beat the city team but until Corbin can establish some type of rushing offense they will struggle against the better teams.

I think there is only one team for Corbin (at least after one game). They are going to have to understand that they are Corbin and Corbin has always run the ball and that should be their bread and butter and let the passing be the desert.

I agree Corbin could win this game but I don't look for it, they appear to be sold on the pass. I think Campbell should be the one the offense is built around not Cashen, but that decision was made along time ago.

I want to say the mountain team will beat the city team but until Corbin can establish some type of rushing offense they will struggle against the better teams.

Corbin needs to be able to run the ball. I thought that with their size and experience on the offensive line(starters weights are 298, 278, 248, 262 and 234) that they would be able to this year, but maybe Belfry was just that good.

I would expect Campbell and Fritts will both get more carries next week as Sanders is too important to the defense to play much both ways. Campbell had one very good run of about 20+ yards down inside the 5 yard line, but it was called back because of a holding penalty.

I said it in the other thread and will repeat it here. Don't get too down on this Corbin offense just yet.

Belfry had IMO the second best defense in 2A last year aside from Russell, in particular their run defense was excellent. The Pirates returned their entire Front 7 including some 3 year starters (May, Hickman, Southerland). You will be hardpressed to find a run defnse with as much quickness and sure tackling as what that Belfry Front 7 brings to the table, trust me when I say Corbin won't be the only running game the Pirates shut down. Then factor in the fact that the Pirates return arguably their best CB in Elkins (who also is excellent in run support) and a secondary that is considerably ahead of where most people, including myself, thought they would be.

Although Corbin got shut out, they definately moved the ball on Belfry and showed promise.