August 18, 200719 yr Hospitals need to educate the public on services that are available for uninsured families or underinsured. My Mother has used some of these services to have procedures done or even get some medicines. The Medical Field in general should not assumed that everyone knows that these services are available. But America needs to seriously revamp the Medical Care systems but that is another thread.
August 18, 200719 yr There are times that people just don't think they have any other choice. What makes me madder than fire is that there are way to get help and rarely are these people told this at the hospitals or even doctor's offices. Someone should have sat down with this man and told him of places that will help. I've had people sit down in front of me and tell me that they can't afford their medicine and I pick up the phone and call their doctor and ask them if they have samples....most of the time they do and what I can't understand is why didn't someone tell them this when they were in the doctor's office.:irked: In Kentucky there are special services for women with breast or cervical cancer. Of course you can't have any insurance or a massive amount of money but there are ways. There are special medical cards for women with cancer (if you qualify). You just have to ask questions of all the places in your town...i.e., doctor's office, hospital, health departments. There might be a special "free" clinic in your area that will offer you services. We need to know to ask questions ...ask questions...ask questions!!!!! Can you tell that this is something that just puts me in a twirl? I agree..someone just needed to take the time!!! Just 5 minutes out of a day!!! This burns me!!!:mad:
August 18, 200719 yr Medical bills can be devistating....I remember when PH had to have his legs amputated! One and a half million dollars!!! WOW. All I could think of was...Good Luck! You do what you can do. Now, lucky I have worked with issues of this nature before. What the hospital, our insurance and us decided was to pay a portion of the bill and the rest would be waived. It took a lot of talking and working things out, but, it did finally work out. Now we are facing all these bills again. But, I, nor PH stresses over it. We do pay our bills and do the best we can do...that is all you can do. I have made arrangements to pay 50 dollars a month. And, our insurance has really stepped up this time. They worked out some things with the hospital and we will have everything paid off in about a year...not too bad considering!!! What the problem is is with people like PH and myself...and most people fall into this category. You don't have enough money for what the doctors and hospitals charge, however, you make too much to get help. You have insurance, but, still have to pay. It is the bracket of people who make it ok, however, do not have money to throw around...on a very tight budget, yet make too much for help...the hospitals do, however, will write a certain amount of money off for big bills. It is a bad situation, however, I would rather have it this way instead of the way Canada does it. You are lucky to see a doctor for many months for a simple cold. Socialized medicine is not what it is cracked up to be. I lived in Washington State my growing up years, and let me tell ya, there were many people that would come to Washington from Canada to get medical treatment. They did not care what the cost was. They would tell us that the doctors where they are from really were not good at all and the wait was way too long. They stated that because the medical care was free, the service sucked. I guess the old addage "You get what you pay for" also applies to medical care!!
August 18, 200719 yr I've also witnessed hospital's who will turn you over to a collection agency for a $200 balance for an E/R bill. My friend asked if she could pay $100 in October and $100 in November. Because it was over 30 days she was turned over to a collection agency. (and she had "medical insurance")
August 18, 200719 yr I've also witnessed hospital's who will turn you over to a collection agency for a $200 balance for an E/R bill. My friend asked if she could pay $100 in October and $100 in November. Because it was over 30 days she was turned over to a collection agency. (and she had "medical insurance") Its getting pretty bad on the collections for even the insured but I'm sure that was the least thing on this guy's mind. I am sure he cracked as a caregiver and unless you are in that man's shoes you will never know. CVille- I am sorry to hear about your mother. My father has Demensia at 60 and is in a nursing home and my mother was his 24 hour caregiver for over a year. It was very tough on her and still very tough for all of us to have to see him in a nursing home so young. I wish you the best and hang in there.
August 18, 200719 yr At this time my mother is suffering from Alzheimer's. She is at home, bedfast & has been on a feeding tube for a couple of years now. She requires care 24 hrs. a day and must be cared for as you would an infant. My family work shifts to see her needs are met. It is funny how different things affect different people. My father is a pretty tough man. Never seen him cry over anything. My Grandmother suffered from Alzheimers from about 1984 till 1991. All of those years my grandfather kept her at home while providing 24 hour care so she would be in her own surroundings and be comfortable. During those 7 years my sister and I (I was between 15 and 22) would take turns going over there in the morning and the evening to help get her up and put her to bed. Not once do I ever remember my father going and helping do either. I guess people handle things differently but I cannot hold my father at fault for not going. I don't know how I would react if put in that situation.
August 18, 200719 yr Its getting pretty bad on the collections for even the insured but I'm sure that was the least thing on this guy's mind. I am sure he cracked as a caregiver and unless you are in that man's shoes you will never know. CVille- I am sorry to hear about your mother. My father has Demensia at 60 and is in a nursing home and my mother was his 24 hour caregiver for over a year. It was very tough on her and still very tough for all of us to have to see him in a nursing home so young. I wish you the best and hang in there. :thumb: Thanks for the uplift. It is tough an all of us to watch her now and remember her as she used to be. We are a tight family and all of us help as much as possible. My mother worked factory work for 42 years (dad worked 47) and raised five kids. I'm sure there were times when she became overwhelmed and had more than she could handle but I never once heard her complain. I am just glad that we can help her through her rough times as she helped us through ours. She is a fighter and is still here for a reason. Only God knows her plan and he will see us throught these rough times.
August 18, 200719 yr It is funny how different things affect different people. My father is a pretty tough man. Never seen him cry over anything. My Grandmother suffered from Alzheimers from about 1984 till 1991. All of those years my grandfather kept her at home while providing 24 hour care so she would be in her own surroundings and be comfortable. During those 7 years my sister and I (I was between 15 and 22) would take turns going over there in the morning and the evening to help get her up and put her to bed. Not once do I ever remember my father going and helping do either. I guess people handle things differently but I cannot hold my father at fault for not going. I don't know how I would react if put in that situation. Watching a loved one suffer and lose their health and mind is a terrible thing for anyone to experience. As you stated, everyone handles things differently. We are fortunate that our family is close and willing to do whatever it takes to make our mother have a peaceful day or night. My dad did the same. He spent everyday and night by my mothers bedside and did everything possible to make her comfortable until he passed in Nov. 2006. We got our strength from him and the Grace of God and each day we care for mom we know that both are present in everything we do. I tip my hat to you and your sister for the care you gave your grandmother and am confident that your dad did what he thought was right. He as you said, just handled it in a different way.
August 18, 200719 yr civllecat - I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's health, and also that she no longer has your Dad to help and assist her. It's so hard to see this happen to our parent's. Prayer's are sent for you and your family. Please keep the faith.
August 18, 200719 yr civllecat - I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's health, and also that she no longer has your Dad to help and assist her. It's so hard to see this happen to our parent's. Prayer's are sent for you and your family. Please keep the faith. :thumb: Thanks for your kind thought's and Prayer. My Family and I greatly appreciate it.
August 19, 200719 yr You know, it can't be any fun for the patient either, depending on their level of awareness. There are probably a lot of times when they feel like throwing themselves off the balcony.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.