Trinity Fans:

Didn't Andy Murray, Carwell Gardner, Mike Pfeiffer, and Donnie Gardner all start as sophmores and go on to be all state? Anybody old enough to remember the mid 80's?

No theyu did not all start as Sophs Only Andy M which was only the first game at LB. Hurt his leg and played in the rotation the rest of the year. Moved to running back as a junior because we had Scott T and Todd Coke back at LB from the prior year. All started as Juniors. Carwell was a DG on the 84 title team and moved the LB with Andy M as Seniors. Mike P played alot as a soph but did not start. The 83 team was loaded with a great senior class we should have won state just fell short in the semi's to a very good Southern team.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Andy Murray, Carwell Gardner, Mike Pfeiffer, and Donnie Gardner all start as sophmores and go on to be all state? Anybody old enough to remember the mid 80's?[/QUOTE]

Hey now...this is my era!! :irked: :irked: :irked: :lol: :lol:

No theyu did not all start as Sophs Only Andy M which was only the first game at LB. Hurt his leg and played in the rotation the rest of the year. Moved to running back as a junior because we had Scott T and Todd Coke back at LB from the prior year. All started as Juniors. Carwell was a DG on the 84 title team and moved the LB with Andy M as Seniors. Mike P played alot as a soph but did not start. The 83 team was loaded with a great senior class we should have won state just fell short in the semi's to a very good Southern team.

As well as 85!!!

I saw that game (which, BTW, was 1982). Southern had a big wide receiver, Curtis Jeffries-his son, Justin Jeffries, recently played on the line at X) and a very good two time all state running back, Jimmy Maddox. Good game, two good teams.

Tony D, mid 80's was my era too! Diogenes, good call on Jefferies and Maddox for Southern....for 5 points name Southern's QB that year...

Would that be Tony Lanham or was he a couple years later?

Oops sorry, I was apparently a bit late.

You are correct about Mike. He was fairly thin at the beginning of his sophomore year, but stood about 6'7". He played on special teams. I remember his first varsity game when he lined up for the opening kick, everyone said wow, who's that tall kid. He towered above everyone else. Well, he continued to grow and gain weight and he did start later that year and went on to great things at Trinity and UK.

You are correct about Mike. He was fairly thin at the beginning of his sophomore year, but stood about 6'7". He played on special teams. I remember his first varsity game when he lined up for the opening kick, everyone said wow, who's that tall kid. He towered above everyone else. Well, he continued to grow and gain weight and he did start later that year and went on to great things at Trinity and UK.

I was on that team, Mike and I were in the same class. Our starters at the T spots were Kenny McMillen(sp) and Don Krouth(sp) Mike was in the rotation later in the year but not a starter.

I saw that game (which, BTW, was 1982). Southern had a big wide receiver, Curtis Jeffries-his son, Justin Jeffries, recently played on the line at X) and a very good two time all state running back, Jimmy Maddox. Good game, two good teams.

Yes,82 season class of 83 is what was on my mind. Sorry

BTW, I apologize in advance for deviating from the thread topic, but Southern lost the title game that year to Christian County, who had a beast at linebacker/nose tackle that year. Does anyone remember his name? (That is what I mean, Biotech, about "neurons just don't fire as cleanly)."

BTW, I apologize in advance for deviating from the thread topic, but Southern lost the title game that year to Christian County, who had a beast at linebacker/nose tackle that year. Does anyone remember his name? (That is what I mean, Biotech, about "neurons just don't fire as cleanly)."

Yes I see but I won't remember tomorrow:jump: