Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball's Strange Language

Featured Replies

  • Author

Can of corn explained:

 

 

To say that baseball has spawned a wide range of colorful terms would be an understatement, and "can of corn" is a good example of just how weird baseball lingo can get. According to Paul Dickson, "can of corn" was first used back in 1896 to describe a fly ball hit so high that the fielder has time to stand directly under the falling ball. The standard theory traces the term to old-fashioned grocery stores, where canned goods were stored on high shelves and pulled down with a long pole. An experienced store clerk would have no trouble catching the tumbling can, thus the term. Other theories trace "can of corn" to such fly balls being as easy to catch as "taking corn out of a can," or to the hollow "tin-canny" sound made by the bat in striking such a hit, or to an old-fashioned "cornball" confection made with popcorn and molasses, but the grocery explanation seems most logical to me.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can of corn explained:

 

 

To say that baseball has spawned a wide range of colorful terms would be an understatement, and "can of corn" is a good example of just how weird baseball lingo can get. According to Paul Dickson, "can of corn" was first used back in 1896 to describe a fly ball hit so high that the fielder has time to stand directly under the falling ball. The standard theory traces the term to old-fashioned grocery stores, where canned goods were stored on high shelves and pulled down with a long pole. An experienced store clerk would have no trouble catching the tumbling can, thus the term. Other theories trace "can of corn" to such fly balls being as easy to catch as "taking corn out of a can," or to the hollow "tin-canny" sound made by the bat in striking such a hit, or to an old-fashioned "cornball" confection made with popcorn and molasses, but the grocery explanation seems most logical to me.

I've heard the grocery store explanation since I was a little kid...

  • Author
I've heard the grocery store explanation since I was a little kid...

 

I guess I need to hang out in Erlanger more often. I had never heard it.

If someone were to ask me what Griffey did in his AB in the 9th tonight, I'd say "he flew out to the wall". I don't use flied out at all.

  • Author
If someone were to ask me what Griffey did in his AB in the 9th tonight, I'd say "he flew out to the wall". I don't use flied out at all.

 

Only baseball people use "flied out." I remember when Thom first started calling games on Channel 5 in Cincinnati that Bench corrected him during a game when he said "flew out."

I guess I need to hang out in Erlanger more often. I had never heard it.

I asked a lot of questions as a kid (big surprise), and I heard the phrase a lot at Reds games...

One of my favorites was the routine Brian Regan did. It's not something you see in Pro ball, although I'm sure it would make the game more fun.

 

Hey batter, batter, batter. SWING! What am I supposed to say, Hey fielder, fielder.

 

Hey coach is there a point to this?

 

You don't see that in any other profession. Hey golfer, golfer. PUT, PUT GOLFER. SUE LAWYER, SUE! DRIVE BUS DRIVER DRIVE! :lol:

  • Author
One of my favorites was the routine Brian Regan did. It's not something you see in Pro ball, although I'm sure it would make the game more fun.

 

Hey batter, batter, batter. SWING! What am I supposed to say, Hey fielder, fielder.

 

Hey coach is there a point to this?

 

You don't see that in any other profession. Hey golfer, golfer. PUT, PUT GOLFER. SUE LAWYER, SUE! DRIVE BUS DRIVER DRIVE! :lol:

 

Big Brian Regan fan - know the routine well.

I was always partial to the geographical references in baseball:

 

Baltimore Chop

Texas Leaguer

 

 

And in a "crossover" reference, is it just me that calls it a "Thurman Munson" when one of my golfing buddies hits a snap hook?

So if Adam Dunn gets a triple, does that fall under "helping his own cause?"

 

It would right now because he has the possibility of being traded, so it would. But he is still not a pitcher and his name doesnt appear with an L or a W next to it. That is what they mean by a pitcher "helping his own cause." It is a rarity that a pitcher gets a hit so when it happens it helps his own cause because he is adding to the teams production but also increasing his chance to show a W instead of that L by his name in the box score.

I always have enjoyed the numbers telling the story 6-3-1........ or SF 9

1 rbi. It's like a secret code unless of course you understand baseball. I have seen people at baseball games when listening to a conversation that I am having when I am telling someone that the batter has so far gone

0-2, 6-3, 5-3, SF 9 & 1 rbi and look totally mystified at me.....

 

For those not understanding: 0 hits in 2 times at bat, ground out to the shortstop who threw it to first to get the batter out, ground out to the third baseman who threw it to first to get the batter out. Sacrifice Fly to right field which allowed the runner from third to tag up and come home to score a run....

I always have enjoyed the numbers telling the story 6-3-1........ or SF 9

1 rbi. It's like a secret code unless of course you understand baseball. I have seen people at baseball games when listening to a conversation that I am having when I am telling someone that the batter has so far gone

0-2, 6-3, 5-3, SF 9 & 1 rbi and look totally mystified at me.....

 

For those not understanding: 0 hits in 2 times at bat, ground out to the shortstop who threw it to first to get the batter out, ground out to the third baseman who threw it to first to get the batter out. Sacrifice Fly to right field which allowed the runner from third to tag up and come home to score a run....

Great point....I had a father stop me after practice one day, said he never knew so much terminology was involved in Baseball.

What about at the end of a game when the announcer says:

 

He finished the game going 3-4 with "2 ribby's"

This thread is heaven...

 

It's always, 'he flied out to left'...

How come right-handed pitchers aren't called "Northpaws"?

 

Why does a winning pitcher "scatter six hits" but a losing pitcher never "scatters" six hits?

 

 

 

1. I always wondered why they were called Southpaws.

 

2. When you scatter the hits they usually don't get runs.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.