Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

P'burg Has Had Enough! How About Your School?

Featured Replies

I thought they were getting rid of football.

No believe it or not, they still have big #s turning out for the football team.

I don't know how big they have gotten or what they are doing up there on the hill... But they still have kids and interest .

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

The Board of Education paid nothing for the addition of the turf, and actually were saved money because they didn't have to fund the football field construction at all. This would have been an initial cost associated with the construction of the new school that the BOE would normally have had to pay.

Try explaining that to our beloved new Pike County Superintendant. From all indications I have ehard he still believes that big, nice football stadium over at Forest Hills has alot to do with the school board, and he has no problem mentioning how "priveleged" compared to the other schools Belfry has been the past few years, and this is one of his top points. But, that discussion (and the subsequent loss of teachers at Belfry area schools) is neither here nor there...:sssh:

  • Author
Correct me if im wrong, the site prep there started from scratch, there was no football field there at all prior to what is there now. That probably took alot of excavating work, i wander if the site prep would be nearly as high on an existing football field?

It would be a fairly safe assumption that site prep at most schools would not be as high as at Belfry.

 

Just fair warning to all school interested, don't make the mistake Shelby Valley made. Their field is built over old water pipes from ym understanding, and if those water mains ever burst then it will be a VERY costly oversight made by Valley in what many people thought was a very hasty decision.

It would be a fairly safe assumption that site prep at most schools would not be as high as at Belfry.

 

Just fair warning to all school interested, don't make the mistake Shelby Valley made. Their field is built over old water pipes from ym understanding, and if those water mains ever burst then it will be a VERY costly oversight made by Valley in what many people thought was a very hasty decision.

 

Sounds like the time our church put a new addition onto the existing structure. The contractor struck the septic tank we never new we had... We never could figue out that occasional awful smell in the kitchen for all those years and now we know why... this is a fairly old chuch in the middle of a city of 17,000... :creepy:

Try explaining that to our beloved new Pike County Superintendant. From all indications I have ehard he still believes that big, nice football stadium over at Forest Hills has alot to do with the school board, and he has no problem mentioning how "priveleged" compared to the other schools Belfry has been the past few years, and this is one of his top points. But, that discussion (and the subsequent loss of teachers at Belfry area schools) is neither here nor there...:sssh:

Yeah, you're right, when Frank Welch was Superintendent, Belfry was the red-headed step child of Pike County! LOL:rolleyes:

Yeah, you're right, when Frank Welch was Superintendent, Belfry was the red-headed step child of Pike County! LOL:rolleyes:
I don't wanna turn this thread into this, but I have to say that I understand what you are saying. Belfry did get a lot during Frank's tenure, including some extras, but building the new school was long overdue.

 

Creating the middle school into the renovated buildings of the old BHS was a fiscally responsible move, and shutting down Turkey Creek Elementary that came with that move was unavoidable, but also a good fiscal decision.

 

I know that the new high school came in way over budget, based on original estimates, and so those savings I mentioned still stayed right here on Pond Creek. I know how that looks given the makeup of the administration of the BOE and I understand the comments and jealousy of those in other areas of the county who saw it as favoritism. But all that is fodder for another day, another debate.

 

My only real point on the issue related to this thread is that none of the excess was spent on Belfry's football field itself. The turf, and all costs associated with it, was paid for privately and not only did it cost the BOE nothing, it actually helped save them money.

Yeah, you're right, when Frank Welch was Superintendent, Belfry was the red-headed step child of Pike County! LOL:rolleyes:

 

 

Belfry High School was the OLDEST in the county, by about 30 years. Get over it, the argument is old.

I'm not sure what the latest posts have to do with P-Burg getting a new field and I;m sure someone should get back on topic but allow me to chime in...Belfry was Loooooooong overdue for a new school and new athletic facilities!!!

 

As a Pike Co taxpayer, I feel like it was money well spent...EVERY child in Pike Co deserves nice facilities....

...just like I'm sure Floyd Co and P-Burg taxpayers feel like their children deserve top notch facilities also.

 

There, back on topic.

I would be very interested to know the cost of maintaing a GOOD Bermuda field over a period of about 10 years (the estimated life of a turf field) vs. the installation costs of turf.

 

I would guess that there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference when things like re-planting, watering, painting, mowing, etc. are taken into account.

That is correct, it was completely payed for by a grant, including installation.

Raceland also had Campbell Elementary's playground done in this substance I beleive when the football field was done.

I would be very interested to know the cost of maintaing a GOOD Bermuda field over a period of about 10 years (the estimated life of a turf field) vs. the installation costs of turf.

 

I would guess that there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference when things like re-planting, watering, painting, mowing, etc. are taken into account.

 

The numbers I have seen - Belfry's - they are pretty much a wash BUT it allows multiple use for the facility, like host 2 soccer games at the same time, pee-wee football, etc. and not having to worry one bit about a brown spot, mud hole, or overuse.

  • Author
The numbers I have seen - Belfry's - they are pretty much a wash BUT it allows multiple use for the facility, like host 2 soccer games at the same time, pee-wee football, etc. and not having to worry one bit about a brown spot, mud hole, or overuse.

Belfry has a completely seperate soccer field now, but what I saw this morning was a prime example of the benefits of FieldTurf.

 

My sister plays soccer and they had practice this morning. The early morning rains would have made the soccer field very slippery, and only a week into practice it would have no doubt dramatically increased the risk of injury. It was a welcome relief to see the soccer practice on the well drained/well cushioned FieldTurf.

 

Odds are nothing would have happened, but if practicing on FieldTurf saves one high school athlete ever year from suffering a mild to severe injury that would ahve otherwise happened on grass, then it has done it's job amd is well worth the difference in cost.

 

I also like the fact that for the young kids in the Peewee Football leagues, it is like a priveledge to play on the turf, it makes them feel like NFL players.

I don't wanna turn this thread into this, but I have to say that I understand what you are saying. Belfry did get a lot during Frank's tenure, including some extras, but building the new school was long overdue.

 

Creating the middle school into the renovated buildings of the old BHS was a fiscally responsible move, and shutting down Turkey Creek Elementary that came with that move was unavoidable, but also a good fiscal decision.

 

I know that the new high school came in way over budget, based on original estimates, and so those savings I mentioned still stayed right here on Pond Creek. I know how that looks given the makeup of the administration of the BOE and I understand the comments and jealousy of those in other areas of the county who saw it as favoritism. But all that is fodder for another day, another debate.

 

My only real point on the issue related to this thread is that none of the excess was spent on Belfry's football field itself. The turf, and all costs associated with it, was paid for privately and not only did it cost the BOE nothing, it actually helped save them money.

I agree with your remarks, the field and athletic complex were donated funds and didn't come from board monies. I also agree that the school came in way over budget and the school itself was needed and overdue. The reason for my comment was because the posted that I replied to made a statement about the teacher cuts in that area. As you pointed out in your statement, belfry did get a lot of extras, staffing was one of them. It was taken away by a new administration. That's poltics my friends, you're in, then you're out. Your in the penthouse, then the outhouse! LOL Been in both places, I like the penthouse better! LOL

Belfry High School was the OLDEST in the county, by about 30 years. Get over it, the argument is old.

It was? By 30 years? WOW! I think someone forgot to tell Phelps that, also how about Virgie Middle? How about Robinson Creek Elementary? Dorton? G.F. Johnson? Mullins? I'm not saying Belfry didn;t deserve a new school, they did, but if you are going to get on this board and talk this stuff with me, you better know what you are talking about.:argue:

^^^It's great what they did with the great facilities at Belfry. Now it's time to do the same for Phelps and then Pike County schools have the best facilities, throughout the system, of any system in the state.

Edit: For high schools...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.