Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

P'burg Has Had Enough! How About Your School?

Featured Replies

It seems Pburg has had enough of local teams having a synthetic playing surface. I noticed the "Medical Leader", a weekly mailer/newspaper put out by the Pikeville Medical Center, an advertisement taken out by the Pburg boosters calling for a drive to raise funds for the Blackcats to get a synthetic playing surface. Other local schools already with the surface include Pikeville, Belfry, Letcher Central, Shelby Valley, and now Johnson Central.

 

So what other schools around the state are either in the process of raising money for the synthetic field or are contemplating it?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the cost estimate for a synthetic field? And, about how much money did those other schools (Belfry, etc.) have to raise and how much was funded by school monies?

It would be great if some of the real small schools (like my alma mater, Nicholas) could afford field turf. If there is a nice rain on Thursday night or Friday morning, the game that night will be a mud bowl.

I presume this is Prestonburg ??? Is that why they are playing Beechwood at Morehead St.?

Raceland does not have the same type of "field turf" that is now at JCHS and Belfry, etc.. They do have what I call a "spray on" type turf (for lack of a better term, I don't excatly know what it is called). The material is made from old tires, (don't know what else is used in it) and is sprayed on to the field. This bonds with the original grass/turf and helps keep it in tact better, makes the surface a lot more resistant to rain/foul weather. Also, the more "sponge" like surface could cut down on injuries.

What is the cost estimate for a synthetic field? And, about how much money did those other schools (Belfry, etc.) have to raise and how much was funded by school monies?

 

 

Belfry's was over $600,000 and was funded by Cam Mining, Massey Energy, and private donations.

 

Shelby Valley's was funded by private donations and Johnson Industries.

 

Pike BOE payed little, if any for each.

Raceland does not have the same type of "field turf" that is now at JCHS and Belfry, etc.. They do have what I call a "spray on" type turf (for lack of a better term, I don't excatly know what it is called). The material is made from old tires, (don't know what else is used in it) and is sprayed on to the field. This bonds with the original grass/turf and helps keep it in tact better, makes the surface a lot more resistant to rain/foul weather. Also, the more "sponge" like surface could cut down on injuries.

 

How much does that cost the school to implement?

How much does that cost the school to implement?

 

I believe we payed something like 30K. It is the same rubber pellets that is in the field turf. You let the grass grow to about 6 inches spread 1 inch of the pellets, water heavily to let the pellets settle to the ground, then let the grass grow and spread another 1 inch of pellets, and water heavily again. This gives you 2 inches of rubber below your grass and helps with drainage. Our field stayed in good shape last year, very little mud at all, and it gives the field a bouncy feeling. The pellets were spread using a golf courses manicurer.

 

This process was developed by Michigan State University.

I wish Lawrence County would get a new field. The crown is horrible and the drainage is a big problem.

I wish Lawrence County would get a new field. The crown is horrible and the drainage is a big problem.

 

What Crown?:rolleyes:

I believe we payed something like 30K. It is the same rubber pellets that is in the field turf. You let the grass grow to about 6 inches spread 1 inch of the pellets, water heavily to let the pellets settle to the ground, then let the grass grow and spread another 1 inch of pellets, and water heavily again. This gives you 2 inches of rubber below your grass and helps with drainage. Our field stayed in good shape last year, very little mud at all, and it gives the field a bouncy feeling. The pellets were spread using a golf courses manicurer.

 

This process was developed by Michigan State University.

I also think that I had heard alot of the cost was covered by grants to the school system.

I just dont see how the small schools can afford anything like that. It would be great though.

I also think that I had heard alot of the cost was covered by grants to the school system.

 

That is correct, it was completely payed for by a grant, including installation.

East Carter had the crumb rubber tires sprayed on recently as well. The cost to them was completely covered by a grant too.

  • Author
I presume this is Prestonburg ??? Is that why they are playing Beechwood at Morehead St.?

Yes, this is Prestonsburg.

The Morehead game has nothing to do with playing surface as far as I know. I think Morehead was a compromise on the travel for both teams and much more feasible to book than another HS. The fact that Morehead has a turf field had to play in effect though, because if I am X high school and they approach me to play a game on ym dirt field, I would very much object.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.