Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5A 2007 Playoff Scenario

Featured Replies

:thumb:

 

I do appreciate that one. Was a good hard fought game that could've been won by either team.

 

Beechwood beats CovCath on a regular basis.

 

 

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Beechwood took a pretty good shalacking from Danville in '03, 43-0 to be exact, 500 yards offense= 500 yards passing, with only one pass attempt. How was that for a predictable offense?! I know, Beechwood returned the favor the next year, but nothing even close to what had happened the year before.

  • Replies 109
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

500 yards passing, with only one pass attempt.

 

Must have been a helluva pass play.

 

Beechwood beats CovCath on a regular basis.

 

Regular basis? The last 3 graduating classes may beg to differ.

First, you are correct, I mis-typed the percentage. Still not exactly earth shattering. Good but not great coach.

 

Tough guy? Where does that come from and why are you making this personal?

 

Mercer had a fine 3A team playing a 2A schedule last year. Played the hand you were dealt and won a title. Congrats! I'm not questioning that at all. What I am questioning is whether you can do it playing the same size teams and a harder schedule? My OPINION (which last I checked I was entitled to) is that you will not unless their are some changes.

 

Not once did I "put down" the coach or the school.

 

Relax a little.

 

Find me a good list of first time coaches, within there first 5 years of being a HC that have a winning percentage above 75%. Im guessing that it might not be a very long one, and if it is, I bet more than anything that you'll find some GREAT coaches within that list. Don't you think?? Secondly, here is guessing that Jaggers record is a helluva lot better that your record has or ever will be. So, why you think you should comment on someone else's achievments or lack of in what you are saying, is beyond me.

 

Also, I want to add this...I realize that "if's" are exactly that, "if's", but since those and other scenarios are thrown around all too often on this site, I just figured I go with the flow just one time. So, here goes, if you take away Jaggers' 2-8 season in '96 ( a season where Ill once again mention that he didnt have much choice than to start 3 freshman on both sides of the ball, in by far the toughest district in 3A that year...Franklin County, Harrison County and Montgomery Co all were ranked in the top 10 of 3A the WHOLE year, Montgomery got beat by Hoptown in the semis) and this past years 15-0 season at Mercer (I just figured that since Jaggers, the rest of his coaching staff and the players don't truly get the credit they deserved this year from most, that I would disregard it this one time as well?!), Jaggers record in 6 years as a head coach is 59-19, a percentage of 75.6% (His first year at Mercer, 2005, BEFORE the merger, Mercer went 10-2...best record in school history, pre-merger, and the first playoff win at the school in 17 years).

 

Heres some more history for you. Can you name the head coaches across this state who have taken more than one team to the State-Finals with 2 different schools?!

 

Tom Duffy- Danville and Highlands

Joe Jaggers- Trigg County and Ft. Knox

Pat Gates- Crittenden County and Caldwell

Dudley Hilton- Bell County and Bourbon Co.

Dan Haley- Paducah and Bowling Green

Marty Jaggers- Lincoln Co and Mercer Co.(not counting the 5 appearances as the OC at Danville, 3 state championships)

 

Im thinking that there is one other, I could be wrong, but if Im not I sincerely apologize the the coach that I left out! Now, of those 6, yes, all of them but Jaggers did win it all with both teams, still though, that's a pretty dang good class to be in.

Must have been a helluva pass play.

 

 

haha...it was, Forrest Gumps TD run in the movie didnt have a thing on that one TD in that game. My bad, you got me. I meant 500 yds rushing.:jump: :laugh:

Must have been a helluva pass play.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :jump:

Heres some more history for you. Can you name the head coaches across this state who have taken more than one team to the State-Finals with 2 different schools?!

 

Tom Duffy- Danville and Highlands

Joe Jaggers- Trigg County and Ft. Knox

Pat Gates- Crittenden County and Caldwell

Dudley Hilton- Bell County and Bourbon Co.

Dan Haley- Paducah and Bowling Green

Marty Jaggers- Lincoln Co and Mercer Co.(not counting the 5 appearances as the OC at Danville, 3 state championships)

 

Im thinking that there is one other, I could be wrong, but if Im not I sincerely apologize the the coach that I left out! Now, of those 6, yes, all of them but Jaggers did win it all with both teams, still though, that's a pretty dang good class to be in.

 

Dan Haley actually took three -- Bryan Station as well

 

Owen Hauck took Boone County and Highlands

Bob Redman took Male and Ballard

Jim Kennedy took Trinity and Flaget

Randy Reese took Paris and Ludlow

Ron Cain took Cumberland and Seneca

Joe Hood took Warren Central and Butler

Roy Walton took Tates Creek and Lafayette

Mojo Hollowell took Owensboro Cath and Henderson County

Duke Owen took E-town and Woodford County

Brett Burnett took E-town and Fort Knox

So, why you think you should comment on someone else's achievments or lack of in what you are saying, is beyond me.

 

Isn't that what this board is for? Discussing opinions?

 

Hey, good luck on your season. We'll see how it plays out and revisit this discussion later in the year and figure out whether Mercer was a one year wonder beating up on smaller schools or whether they're a legit contender.

Regular basis? The last 3 graduating classes may beg to differ.

 

:thumb:

 

Didn't Beechwood have something like a 5-6 yr streak going not to long ago?

Well, all this goes to show that this upcoming season will be an interesting one, given the brand new alignment and the fact that two defending state champs are in 5A this year.

 

PS I'm sure Highlands and Dixie will be very good in the district this year and CovCath is very young and with a new coach, but come on, CovCath is CovCath, and by the end of the season their chances of winning 5A will be as good as anyone's.

Also, I want to add this...I realize that "if's" are exactly that, "if's", but since those and other scenarios are thrown around all too often on this site, I just figured I go with the flow just one time. So, here goes, if you take away Jaggers' 2-8 season in '96 ( a season where Ill once again mention that he didnt have much choice than to start 3 freshman on both sides of the ball, in by far the toughest district in 3A that year...Franklin County, Harrison County and Montgomery Co all were ranked in the top 10 of 3A the WHOLE year, Montgomery got beat by Hoptown in the semis) and this past years 15-0 season at Mercer (I just figured that since Jaggers, the rest of his coaching staff and the players don't truly get the credit they deserved this year from most, that I would disregard it this one time as well?!), Jaggers record in 6 years as a head coach is 59-19, a percentage of 75.6% (His first year at Mercer, 2005, BEFORE the merger, Mercer went 10-2...best record in school history, pre-merger, and the first playoff win at the school in 17 years).

 

I doubt the district was by far the best. The NKY 3A district in the mid 90s was quite competitive with teams like CovCath, Highlands, Dixie, Holmes, and Ryle.

I can't wait to bring this thread to the top after week 11 of the season. Just isn't going to happen. Four of the strongest teams in the state are in 5A. They are usually in the state top ten. No way Mercer Co. runs the table to the state championship game this season.

Find me a good list of first time coaches, within there first 5 years of being a HC that have a winning percentage above 75%. Im guessing that it might not be a very long one, and if it is, I bet more than anything that you'll find some GREAT coaches within that list. Don't you think?? Secondly, here is guessing that Jaggers record is a helluva lot better that your record has or ever will be. So, why you think you should comment on someone else's achievments or lack of in what you are saying, is beyond me.

 

 

Here are some active coaches either at or close to the mark. Not a complete list, just some of the list.

 

Steve Jewell (Corbin) - .779 in first 5

Shawn Berner (Fort Campbell) - .795 in first 5

Mike Griffiths (Green County) - .741 in first 5

John Edge (OCath) - .727 in first 3

Donny Walker - .704 in first 4

Craig Foley (Frankfort) - .702 in first 4

Gene Peterson (Fleming County) - .700 in first 5

Leon Hart (Ashland) - .700 in first 4

Mike Lawson (Central Hardin) - .700 in first 5

I can't wait to bring this thread to the top after week 11 of the season. Just isn't going to happen. Four of the strongest teams in the state are in 5A. They are usually in the state top ten. No way Mercer Co. runs the table to the state championship game this season.

 

Who on here has made that claim? You are getting ahead of yourself. The debate is whether they will be highly competitive or not.

Who on here has made that claim? You are getting ahead of yourself. The debate is whether they will be highly competitive or not.

 

What would you consider a competitive season? 5-6 mark and one playoff win? 7-4 and two playoff wins? Or a winning record and no playoff wins? Will they compete sure, but winning won't be easy. It's tough to tell how strong they'll be because of senior grads and playing more competitive teams. I got to see them last season pre-season against Somerset. They had some really fast kids and quickness that was hard to match but this season they will face teams with the same abilities. Check out their rushing yards compared to passing, just won't get it done this season

 

Team Total Statistcs

(Season-to-Date) Points Scored 760

Points Allowed 140

Total Rushing Yards 5780

Total Rushing Yards Allowed 1302

Total Passing Yards 598

Total Passing Yards Allowed 1644

 

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/bluegrasspreps/kyfb6?id=stats_22594

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.