Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5A 2007 Playoff Scenario

Featured Replies

What would you consider a competitive season? 5-6 mark and one playoff win? 7-4 and two playoff wins? Or a winning record and no playoff wins? Will they compete sure, but winning won't be easy. It's tough to tell how strong they'll be because of senior grads and playing more competitive teams. I got to see them last season pre-season against Somerset. They had some really fast kids and quickness that was hard to match but this season they will face teams with the same abilities. Check out their rushing yards compared to passing, just won't get it done this season

 

Team Total Statistcs

(Season-to-Date) Points Scored 760

Points Allowed 140

Total Rushing Yards 5780

Total Rushing Yards Allowed 1302

Total Passing Yards 598

Total Passing Yards Allowed 1644

 

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/bluegrasspreps/kyfb6?id=stats_22594

 

 

Yeah, I dont know of the first person from Mercer County who has claimed that the Titans will run the table in 5A, or even close. The first thing that people need to realize about the team this year, 5A or 2A, is the amount of YOUTH and INEXPERIENCE that the Titans have. Other than the offensive line, the rest of the team with the exception of a couple are fixin to have their first chance to shine.

 

Determining what is and whats not a successful season is tough, because like you said Warrior, there are tons of scenarios for that evaluation. All Im going to say, and what I think most of the Mercer fans, coaches feel is that this Mercer team in the new 5A will be a lot more of a force and have a chance to do some good things in the playoffs than MOST on here think...IF, these young, inexperienced, FULLY capable skill kids continue to get better everyday, everyweek, every game.

  • Replies 109
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some active coaches either at or close to the mark. Not a complete list, just some of the list.

 

Steve Jewell (Corbin) - .779 in first 5

Shawn Berner (Fort Campbell) - .795 in first 5

Mike Griffiths (Green County) - .741 in first 5

John Edge (OCath) - .727 in first 3

Donny Walker - .704 in first 4

Craig Foley (Frankfort) - .702 in first 4

Gene Peterson (Fleming County) - .700 in first 5

Leon Hart (Ashland) - .700 in first 4

Mike Lawson (Central Hardin) - .700 in first 5

 

 

Thanks for the info!! You never leave anybody hanging for info Scribe, that's for sure!! Thanks!! That's some good company, IMO that you have listed.

Dan Haley actually took three -- Bryan Station as well

 

Owen Hauck took Boone County and Highlands

Bob Redman took Male and Ballard

Jim Kennedy took Trinity and Flaget

Randy Reese took Paris and Ludlow

Ron Cain took Cumberland and Seneca

Joe Hood took Warren Central and Butler

Roy Walton took Tates Creek and Lafayette

Mojo Hollowell took Owensboro Cath and Henderson County

Duke Owen took E-town and Woodford County

Brett Burnett took E-town and Fort Knox

 

 

I thought that Coach Haley took Bryan Station, wasn't for sure. I was terribly wrong for not mentioning the other names, but in any case, all of those are GREAT COMPANY!

I doubt the district was by far the best. The NKY 3A district in the mid 90s was quite competitive with teams like CovCath, Highlands, Dixie, Holmes, and Ryle.

 

 

I wasn't meaning the "mid 90's", I meant, the '96 year alone. Im not sure about Franklin, Harrison and Montgomery that year and if they played any teams in that 3A NKY district, but Lincoln played and beat Ryle in '93, '94 and '95.

What would you consider a competitive season? 5-6 mark and one playoff win? 7-4 and two playoff wins? Or a winning record and no playoff wins? Will they compete sure, but winning won't be easy. It's tough to tell how strong they'll be because of senior grads and playing more competitive teams. I got to see them last season pre-season against Somerset. They had some really fast kids and quickness that was hard to match but this season they will face teams with the same abilities. Check out their rushing yards compared to passing, just won't get it done this season

 

Team Total Statistcs

(Season-to-Date) Points Scored 760

Points Allowed 140

Total Rushing Yards 5780

Total Rushing Yards Allowed 1302

Total Passing Yards 598

Total Passing Yards Allowed 1644

 

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/bluegrasspreps/kyfb6?id=stats_22594

 

 

5,780 rushing yds., if you're just talking about the YARDS alone, despite class will get it done ANYWHERE. Secondly, why everybody thinks that the wishbone and Run, run, run, run, run, run and very seldom pass is the only thing that Jaggers likes or knows what to do is WAY beyond me, but if that's what some choose to think, then think.

 

I dont have the first clue as to why people think you have to throw the ball just for the sake of throwing it, especially when you're averaging anything over 8 yds. or so per carry ( Mercer last year averaged about 13 yds./carry, but that was last year, in the past)...

I dont have the first clue as to why people think you have to throw the ball just for the sake of throwing it, especially when you're averaging anything over 8 yds. or so per carry ( Mercer last year averaged about 13 yds./carry, but that was last year, in the past)...

 

And what are your expectations this year? Do you think 8 yds per carry over the season is a realistic average to look for?

First of all, nobody has ever said anything about a state championship being handed to Mercer this year. I sure as heck havent said that, nor have Mercer fans on here, not that I can recall. Secondy, I dont care one iota about any rankings or mathematical formulas that are in papers, message boards, etc., not one bit. Thirdly, not everybody on here is an "armchair coach", all I have to do is read some of the posts on here from certain people to know that, either they are a coach, or are within the "support" staff somehow and actually have some intelligence about what they are talking about. Lastly, I welcome all of the negative, clueless, wrong, foolish, nonsense talk that come from people on here when it comes to the merger, last years state championship, HC Marty Jaggers, etc....I love it. Why?! Because if people didnt feel somewhat threatened in a way, then you wouldn't have naysayers, b/c naysayers dont give a dang about people or teams that dont pose some sort of a threat. Think about it, why do some teams, high school or college, get "boooed" more when they are the visiting team than other schools?! You think Utah State or Portland State if they were to play USC would get "booed" in the Colliseum like Oregon or Cal would?! Would you like to take a guess why?!?

 

 

I have been one of the staunchest supporters for the merger, but I am also not going to ignore the fact that the merger played a huge part in Mercer running the table last year. I think it would be irresponsible to believe that Mercer would have been as successful had they not merged or if they had been bumped up to 3A. I was on this board quite often last year defending Mercer and always will be until they meet up vs. BG(I expect Mercer to beat BC again). I never thought my non biased opinion about Mercer and the effects the merger had on Mercer's season last year and expectations this year would draw so much criticism. That's all I am saying, that's all I have been saying. Good luck this year.

5,780 rushing yds., if you're just talking about the YARDS alone, despite class will get it done ANYWHERE. Secondly, why everybody thinks that the wishbone and Run, run, run, run, run, run and very seldom pass is the only thing that Jaggers likes or knows what to do is WAY beyond me, but if that's what some choose to think, then think.

 

I dont have the first clue as to why people think you have to throw the ball just for the sake of throwing it, especially when you're averaging anything over 8 yds. or so per carry ( Mercer last year averaged about 13 yds./carry, but that was last year, in the past)...

 

 

People think that you have to throw the ball because BG runs the ball kind of like Mercer , I believe they run the veer offense. When they played LexCath and CCH in the state title games, their running game was not enough. When they couldn't average that 6-7 yards per carry and get move the chains it was obvious what they were going to do on 3rd and long and they couldn't get it done when matched up vs. a defense fast enough to contain the run. If you look at the last 5 3A champs they all had efficient and above average passing games so the theory that would make the most sense at this point in time is that your passing game had better be average-above average if you want to win at this level. Based off of last years stats, Mercer's lack of passing attack and dependence on the run may not have been enough vs. the likes of CCH or Highlands. Against BG, the pass may not have been as significant based on the fact that BG runs as much as Mercer(We'd have had a knock down drag out smashmouth game). When LexCath, CCH, and BC can put up points quickly with their passing offense and you can't put points up as quick as them, that's when you lost(At least that's how BG did). At least that has been the case in recent 3A state championship games. Had Mercer played a team who had athletes to complement a strong passing game, maybe we could better read on how they would have done in 3A(I'm not knocking Russell, it's already been noted how hard it was to pass into that wind that was blowing that day, but it should be noted that Russell gave Mercer fits). It's all speculation at this point.

People think that you have to throw the ball because BG runs the ball kind of like Mercer , I believe they run the veer offense. When they played LexCath and CCH in the state title games, their running game was not enough. When they couldn't average that 6-7 yards per carry and get move the chains it was obvious what they were going to do on 3rd and long and they couldn't get it done when matched up vs. a defense fast enough to contain the run. If you look at the last 5 3A champs they all had efficient and above average passing games so the theory that would make the most sense at this point in time is that your passing game had better be average-above average if you want to win at this level. Based off of last years stats, Mercer's lack of passing attack and dependence on the run may not have been enough vs. the likes of CCH or Highlands. Against BG, the pass may not have been as significant based on the fact that BG runs as much as Mercer(We'd have had a knock down drag out smashmouth game). When LexCath, CCH, and BC can put up points quickly with their passing offense and you can't put points up as quick as them, that's when you lost(At least that's how BG did). At least that has been the case in recent 3A state championship games. Had Mercer played a team who had athletes to complement a strong passing game, maybe we could better read on how they would have done in 3A(I'm not knocking Russell, it's already been noted how hard it was to pass into that wind that was blowing that day, but it should be noted that Russell gave Mercer fits). It's all speculation at this point.

 

:thumb:

People think that you have to throw the ball because BG runs the ball kind of like Mercer , I believe they run the veer offense. When they played LexCath and CCH in the state title games, their running game was not enough. When they couldn't average that 6-7 yards per carry and get move the chains it was obvious what they were going to do on 3rd and long and they couldn't get it done when matched up vs. a defense fast enough to contain the run. If you look at the last 5 3A champs they all had efficient and above average passing games so the theory that would make the most sense at this point in time is that your passing game had better be average-above average if you want to win at this level. Based off of last years stats, Mercer's lack of passing attack and dependence on the run may not have been enough vs. the likes of CCH or Highlands. Against BG, the pass may not have been as significant based on the fact that BG runs as much as Mercer(We'd have had a knock down drag out smashmouth game). When LexCath, CCH, and BC can put up points quickly with their passing offense and you can't put points up as quick as them, that's when you lost(At least that's how BG did). At least that has been the case in recent 3A state championship games. Had Mercer played a team who had athletes to complement a strong passing game, maybe we could better read on how they would have done in 3A(I'm not knocking Russell, it's already been noted how hard it was to pass into that wind that was blowing that day, but it should be noted that Russell gave Mercer fits). It's all speculation at this point.

 

 

No, Mercer doesnt run the veer, they ran the wishbone last year if that's what you were implying when you mentioned they run the same type of offense? In '93, a Jaggers wishbone team at Lincoln County beat a Warren Central team in the '93 AAA State-Semis. Im sure you've heard of the Dragons down the road from your purples, haven't ya?! You talk about scoring quickly as those who pass, in '98, when Jaggers was the O.C in his first year at Danville, the ADS ran the wishbone and beat LexCath in the Regional-Finals, who had already gone to that wide-open offense, 28-26. Danville, I think, might have passed the ball 5 times that game. You know who they beat in the following week?! Breathitt County, 31-14. A wishbone, highly run dominated team, beat 2 of the best "air it out teams" in the state that year, back-to-back. This year, in 2006 Mercer beat Owensboro Cathollic this past year, 46-0, the previous class AA state-runners up, I dont know about you, but I would say that if a thread on here was started up, talking about "Top passing Offenses across the state, regardless of class", then the ACES would definately be in the mix of that conversation.

And what are your expectations this year? Do you think 8 yds per carry over the season is a realistic average to look for?

 

 

Do I this year? No. The entire "skilled" position kids will all be new starters, except for Griffith, the rest are the J.V guys from last year. Also, not to mention the loss of few kids named Cory Jackson, Brandon Ford and Donald Walker. You might have noticed them?!:jump: :thumb:

I have been one of the staunchest supporters for the merger, but I am also not going to ignore the fact that the merger played a huge part in Mercer running the table last year. I think it would be irresponsible to believe that Mercer would have been as successful had they not merged or if they had been bumped up to 3A. I was on this board quite often last year defending Mercer and always will be until they meet up vs. BG(I expect Mercer to beat BC again). I never thought my non biased opinion about Mercer and the effects the merger had on Mercer's season last year and expectations this year would draw so much criticism. That's all I am saying, that's all I have been saying. Good luck this year.

 

 

Only a fool would admit that the things that happened last year werent helped by the merger. At the sametime, I believe Mercer would have been more successful than what most give them credit for. Even with the merger, 8 of Mercer's starters on "D" were orignal Mercer players, and they also would have returned Griffith and Walker. (950 Yds and 1,500 yds rushing in '05) They also would have returned a #5 that ran the machine this year, isnt that right JoeDirt?! So, IMO, Mercer would have been sucessful, how much, who knows, then again..who cares, nobody here, that's for sure, b/c this was a story written for Hollywood.

 

Im not even going to get into a discussion about that, though, because the things that happened this past year was nothing more than a blessing from above; to the community, the kids, the coaching staff and the players. That's the thing that Word Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter Violationes me off more than anything on here, are those people who get on here and talk negatively about what happened. Because trust me, if they had been apart of this thing last year and even what is going on now, they would be making the comments that are made. A group of 90, 14-18 year olds changed the mindset of a community, boys that grew up wanting to beat the other in everything came together, played, got along and acted in a way as thought they had been best of friends all of their lives. People that werent involved on the staff, played or not have lived in this community don't have a clue what transpired this past year.

 

(PurplePride, I realize I went on and rambled just a little bit :thumb: )

1. I didn't say that Mercer ran the same offense as BG. BG runs the veer, I believe, and Mercer runs the wishbone. Both teams use the running plays in those offenses a lot more than they use the passing plays. I see you misinterpreted my sentence when I was saying BG runs the veer and thought I was saying Mercer ran the veer. I know Mercer runs the wishbone.

 

2. My high school football knowledge is not as intricate as yours, however, every game you bring up is from the 90's. LexCath was a 2A team at that time I believe. I might be wrong, but I thought they moved to 3A the same year Boyle moved up in the early 2000's, and they have been quite successful with their passing attack ever since they beat Danville at a bowl game I attended in Corbin about 3-4 years ago. The following year, they(LexCath) opened the season with a dramatic come from behind victory over Boyle County by passing the ball all over the place. OC has never been a 3A school and I believe that if they would have brought their great passing attack against a 3A or 4A school similar to Mercer County's the results would have been the same. I am in the group of believers that believe that the OC passing attack while impressive stat wise, wouldn't compare to passing attacks in 3A or 4A or that they would be able to handle the depth and athleticism displayed by Mercer and other top 3A schools in the state. These are just my beliefs.

Only a fool would admit that the things that happened last year werent helped by the merger. At the sametime, I believe Mercer would have been more successful than what most give them credit for. Even with the merger, 8 of Mercer's starters on "D" were orignal Mercer players, and they also would have returned Griffith and Walker. (950 Yds and 1,500 yds rushing in '05) They also would have returned a #5 that ran the machine this year, isnt that right JoeDirt?! So, IMO, Mercer would have been sucessful, how much, who knows, then again..who cares, nobody here, that's for sure, b/c this was a story written for Hollywood.

 

Im not even going to get into a discussion about that, though, because the things that happened this past year was nothing more than a blessing from above; to the community, the kids, the coaching staff and the players. That's the thing that Word Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter Violationes me off more than anything on here, are those people who get on here and talk negatively about what happened. Because trust me, if they had been apart of this thing last year and even what is going on now, they would be making the comments that are made. A group of 90, 14-18 year olds changed the mindset of a community, boys that grew up wanting to beat the other in everything came together, played, got along and acted in a way as thought they had been best of friends all of their lives. People that werent involved on the staff, played or not have lived in this community don't have a clue what transpired this past year.

 

(PurplePride, I realize I went on and rambled just a little bit :thumb: )

 

 

The belief at work is that Mercer would have indeed been successful without the merger, I just don't think they would have won state. Maybe lost to OC, who knows. After the 2005 season, Mercer supporters were very excited about the 2006 season before the merger even became public discussion. The merger just added pressure. I was proud of the way Mercer handled everything and I was happy that you guys won state regardless of your classification. It was indeed great to see the community come together the way it did and it was great to see those who were initially against the merger come together because of the football team. My son currently attends Burgin and because of the merger he may very well end up at Mercer as he gets older. I can't say he'd end up at Mercer if not for the merger. I have never been against Mercer or the merger for that matter. My best friends are huge Mercer supporters and are active in the community. I wish no ill will towards Mercer. Unless you have to play BG.:cool:

No offense fellas, but aren't we all getting worked up over a whole lotta nothing here? Last years season is well..... last year. Alot of teams have changed and you might as well argue over the old mythical state championships that were awarded while you're at it. This years Mercer team, the one that sparked this whole debate is no where near last years. But then again neither is CCH's at this point though either. All of the teams in 5A are similar enough in size that that is not an issue either.

 

Now, with that said, do you really think that this years Mercer team is going to beat Highlands, BG, CCH, Dixie and any other team that has been competing at this level already?

 

If the answer is yes, (and I assume it is) then OK, the boys will sort it out on the field. But I've been reading the thread for a while, and if I didn't know better I would think that it was titled "Mercer, will they or won't they win the state title and why"

 

Highlands is the top dog in the new 5A IMO with BG a close second. I think it might make more sense to argue over the two of them than ancient history.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.