Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bozich: Just Say 'No' to Minniefield's '83 Pot Excuse.

Featured Replies

Gary McLain I believe...

 

0316_large.jpg

  • Replies 47
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noone hates louisville more than I. That being said, smoking pot the night before this game says something about desire to win and priorities. I believe his story, but what does it mean in the "big picture" of the game? Louisville won. If they had players that did the same, they were clearly better. If they did not, which I would hope is the case, they were more focused still making them the better team. This story is about someone admitting mistakes and trying to guide others not to make the same mistakes, (I hope at least). Anyway you take it, Louisville deserved the win.

I'm having a serious brain cramp. Who was the guard for Nova that was stoned during the championship game versus the Hoyas?
Gary McLain admitted that he did cocaine before Villanova's semifinal with Memphis State. He's always maintained that he didn't do it before the championship game with Georgetown.

 

I have a tape of that Final Four and watched it again after the Sports Illustrated article was published. McLain played erratically during the first half of the Memphis game, but was very good for the rest of the weekend.

  • Author
Remember the game well, do you???:lol:
I've watched it start to finish.:thumb:
You guys are funny, you see what you want to see, or you pretend to at least. Dirk has a lot to gain by making up this story? Jim Master?

 

How do you read that and see it as Minnifield making excuses? It was a lesson shared with young players about huge mistakes made at a critical point in his life/career. Make what you want out of it.

:thumb: :thumb:

Leave it to a guy like Bozich to pile on Minnifield when he is trying to bring something positive out of the horrible mistakes he made before, during, and after playing at Kentucky. The 1 play is being blown out of proportion. The thing is, the point he was making to the young men at that camp was that while he was a very good player, he never was the player he could have been because of drugs.

I honestly do not believe in the article I seen about Minnifield and the game, that he was trying to take anything away from UL. All of us can think back to games we have lost when if we had only been more prepared or made 1 more play things would have been different.

 

Bozich is the senior sports columnist at the state's largest newspaper. A controversy has erupted over one of the biggest sporting events in this state's history. To expect him not to weigh in — or even sillier, to refer to it as "piling on" — demonstrates a serious lack of understanding as to how the media works. How is it piling on when Minnifield is the one who initiated it by making the comments admitting he smoked weed the night before the game?

Bozich is the senior sports columnist at the state's largest newspaper. A controversy has erupted over one of the biggest sporting events in this state's history. To expect him not to weigh in — or even sillier, to refer to it as "piling on" — demonstrates a serious lack of understanding as to how the media works. How is it piling on when Minnifield is the one who initiated it by making the comments admitting he smoked weed the night before the game?

Construing the whole episode as an "excuse" for losing is a bit over the top.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You cans laugh...you can jeer....I relayed information...I will let you know who said that to my father in law (who by the way, is extremely respected around the commonwealth, and with the KHSAA) . .

I've watched it start to finish.:thumb:

 

Yeah, and I've read all about WWII, but I wasn't there.:sssh:

You cans laugh...you can jeer....I relayed information...I will let you know who said that to my father in law (who by the way, is extremely respected around the commonwealth, and with the KHSAA) . .

 

Your father-in-law could be the pope for all I know, but it doesn't change the fact that Minniefield smoked pot before the Louisville game, and many others over his career. If you notice, I'm not saying Kentucky would have won that game...just stating the facts straight from the horse's mouth and many others who saw the horse and confirm it.:thumb:

  • Author
Yeah, and I've read all about WWII, but I wasn't there.:sssh:
Yeah, lets compare a war that lasted more than half a decade and involved the mobilization of the entire populace of the world's most powerful countries to a basketball game that can be watched on tape and analyzed in a few hours. With breaks for popcorn.:jump:
  • Author
Your father-in-law could be the pope for all I know, but it doesn't change the fact that Minniefield smoked pot before the Louisville game, and many others over his career. If you notice, I'm not saying Kentucky would have won that game...just stating the facts straight from the horse's mouth and many others who saw the horse and confirm it.:thumb:
I'm sure you meant to say THE NIGHT before the Louisville game.

 

I still want to know what kind of magical plant they were growing in 1983 that it affected him the next night.

Yeah, lets compare a war that lasted more than half a decade and involved the mobilization of the entire populace of the world's most powerful countries to a basketball game that can be watched on tape and analyzed in a few hours. With breaks for popcorn.:jump:

 

The only similarity is they can be better analyzed by people who were there, not people who watch them many years later with breaks for popcorn.:jump:

I'm sure you meant to say THE NIGHT before the Louisville game.

 

I still want to know what kind of magical plant they were growing in 1983 that it affected him the next night.

 

nm.

  • Author
The only similarity is they can be better analyzed by people who were there, not people who watch them many years later with breaks for popcorn.:jump:
So if I were watching the game on TV in 1983, what would be the difference to watching a tape of that broadcast?

 

I would say there's such a clear difference to having lived through WWII to watching a basketball game that I would be very hesitant to make your analogy. But maybe that's just me.

 

The bottom line is, you asked if I remember the game well. The answer is, 'yes.'

 

Thanks. For. Playing.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.