Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bozich: Just Say 'No' to Minniefield's '83 Pot Excuse.

Featured Replies

970 am - The "Big Easy" is playing it up. I listened to him rant for over an hour about the story.

 

What a joke. "The Dream Game"

  • Replies 47
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if I were watching the game on TV in 1983, what would be the difference to watching a tape of that broadcast?

 

I would say there's such a clear difference to having lived through WWII to watching a basketball game that I would be very hesitant to make your analogy. But maybe that's just me.

 

The bottom line is, you asked if I remember the game well. The answer is, 'yes.'

 

Thanks. For. Playing.

 

You remember watching it on TV. And. you. are. welcome.

BTW, was the game played during the day or night?

So if I were watching the game on TV in 1983, what would be the difference to watching a tape of that broadcast?

 

 

If you don't know the answer to this one, there isn't much more to say. I got maybe one-tenth of what I know about that game, those players, that year, and on and on, from TV. For instance, you didn't know Minniefield smoked pot before the game because it wasn't on TV. There's a zillion tons of stuff that's not on TV about 1983 that you don't have a clue about.

 

If you get all of your knowlege about something from TV, you are bringing a knife to a gunfight. :lol:

  • Author
You remember watching it on TV. And. you. are. welcome.

BTW, was the game played during the day or night?

A Saturday afternoon, if I recall correctly. Don't have time to look it up, working at school on a paper (Review of classic album The Clash for History of Rock & Roll, tre cool course.)

 

If you don't know the answer to this one, there isn't much more to say. I got maybe one-tenth of what I know about that game, those players, that year, and on and on, from TV. For instance, you didn't know Minniefield smoked pot before the game because it wasn't on TV. There's a zillion tons of stuff that's not on TV about 1983 that you don't have a clue about.
So there are only about 12,000 people that are entitled to have an opinion about this game? Those are the only people that saw it in person. That was your intent?

 

No, obviously that's not right. You made a joke about me not remembering the game becuase I would have been too young to see it. But, alas, you were wrong- I saw the game in the exact same way that the majority of people at the time saw the game, on a television set.

 

It would probably be best to move on, brjb.

If you get all of your knowlege about something from TV, you are bringing a knife to a gunfight. :lol:

Since that doesn't describe me on any subject, I'll just ignore it.

A Saturday afternoon, if I recall correctly.

 

Yep.

 

 

I still want to know what kind of magical plant they were growing in 1983 that it affected him the next night.

 

;)

 

It is best to move on...I don't see where anyone ever said it cost UK the game. Bozich, and U of L fans being offended by Minniefield's revelation is what bothers me. The ever-present chip on the shoulder...

  • Author
Yep.

 

 

 

;)

 

It is best to move on...I don't see where anyone ever said it cost UK the game. Bozich, and U of L fans being offended by Minniefield's revelation is what bothers me. The ever-present chip on the shoulder...

I'm pretty sure Minniefield says that right here:

 

Recalling how what would have been his game-clinching shot was deflected by U of L's Charles Jones, Minniefield said, "It was sad. Because that was the moment. You only have certain moments in your life. You have to seize your moment. I missed my moment. I don't know if the marijuana had an impact. I'm not a doctor. Being a player, I'm going to say that (it did)…. Any other time, I would dunk that ball."

You missed "I DON'T KNOW IF THE MARIJUANA HAD AN IMPACT."

You missed "I DON'T KNOW IF THE MARIJUANA HAD AN IMPACT."
He still thinks it did have an effect ... that is obvious by his next comment.
He still thinks it did have an effect ... that is obvious by his next comment.

 

If that's the case, then I believe him. :thumb:

Your father-in-law could be the pope for all I know, but it doesn't change the fact that Minniefield smoked pot before the Louisville game, and many others over his career. If you notice, I'm not saying Kentucky would have won that game...just stating the facts straight from the horse's mouth and many others who saw the horse and confirm it.:thumb:

Well...he may have smoked pot.....but what was hinted is that it didn't effect the outcome, and that was my point.

Dear Jim,

 

We don't believe Dirk when he says that smoking pot affected his ability to play sports. Pot is a natural substance beneficial to mankind.

 

Sincerely,

 

Ricky Williams & Darius Miles.

You remember watching it on TV. And. you. are. welcome.

BTW, was the game played during the day or night?

In the afternoon, in between the first and second sessions of the high school girls tourney.

If that's the case, then I believe him. :thumb:

Because "knowing" he was a pot head.....makes him a stand up and awesome guy now.

Bozich is the senior sports columnist at the state's largest newspaper. A controversy has erupted over one of the biggest sporting events in this state's history. To expect him not to weigh in — or even sillier, to refer to it as "piling on" — demonstrates a serious lack of understanding as to how the media works. How is it piling on when Minnifield is the one who initiated it by making the comments admitting he smoked weed the night before the game?

 

Its controversial what Dirk Minnifield did as far as doing drugs. It is not controversial that UL won. No one is trying to take anything away from UL. Bozich maybe prestigious in your eyes, but this is a stupid article where Bozich is trying to stir up trouble. Its not about Louisville basketball its about a former player making huge mistake and trying to help young men do whats right.

Its controversial what Dirk Minnifield did as far as doing drugs. It is not controversial that UL won. No one is trying to take anything away from UL. Bozich maybe prestigious in your eyes, but this is a stupid article where Bozich is trying to stir up trouble. Its not about Louisville basketball its about a former player making huge mistake and trying to help young men do whats right.

 

Whether you care to admit it or not, the Courier-Journal is well-respected on a national basis, and the facts are that the senior sports columnist at the state's largest and most prestigious paper (the C-J doesn't even enter the Kentucky Press Association contests, because no other paper approaches their circulation). Bozich regularly appears on the Sunday Morning Sports Reporters program on ESPN, which is considered the most dignified and highbrow of their commentary shows, along with OTL.

 

The only reason you and many other UK fans dislike Bozich or anyone else at the C-J is because of this silly Louisville v. the rest of the state mentality, and the erroneous assumption that Bozich is biased for UofL because he may have once uttered a critical word of UK.

 

As the senior sports columnist at the state's largest paper, it is imperative that he weigh in on the subject. Ignoring it would be a disservice to the larger public.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.