Grading Wayne Krivsky

What grade do you give Krivsky?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give Krivsky?

A lot has been made of Wayne Krivsky and his personnel moves. Last year he was a genius until the Kearns for bullpen trade. Now a lot of people seem to be going either way.

You grade him based on his moves since he took the job. I have categorized them as I see them as a non-Reds fan.

GM Hall of Fame Moves

• Acquired Bronson Arroyo and cash for Wily Mo Pena
  • Acquired Brandon Phillips for a PTBNL (Jeff Stevens).
  • Acquired Josh Hamilton from the Cubs for cash. Even if Hamilton doesn't play another game, they have already gotten their money's worth.

Good Solid moves

• Signed Scott Hatteberg
  • Acquired David Ross for RP Bobby Basham - Say what you will about his BA, but Basham hasn't pitched above double-A
  • Released Chris Hammond who still hasn't pitched since.
  • Traded Abe Woody to the D-backs for Jerry Gil. Woody had a 2.92 ERA in A ball. Gil, a shortstop, hit 26 HRs with a .269 BA in AA ball last year. Has been hurt this year.
  • Signed Alex Gonzalez to stabilize the middle defense. Any offense is gravy.
  • Traded Jason Larue for a PTBNL. Junior Kennedy could have been the PTBNL and this one is a good trade for the Reds.
  • Signed Chad Moeller. Pitchers have an ERA lower with him so far than Valentin or Ross.
  • Locked up Arroyo and Harang through 2011.
  • Signed Victor Santos. Solid so far.
  • Traded Chris Denorfia to Oakland for two minor leaguers, including Marcus McBeth, who has been groomed as a closer in the minors. Denorfia wasn't going to make it in Cincy. We'll chalk this up as a good one, pending who else they get in the trade.

Jury is still out

• Released Josh Hancock - They could have used his arm but likely knew of his off the field problems.
  • Claimed Jon Coutlangus off waivers from the Giants
  • Traded Dave Williams to the Mets for Robert Manuel - He was terrible with the Reds but 3-1 with the Mets. Jury is out because of off season surgery. Manuel is in A ball.
  • Traded Cody Ross to the Marlins for cash. Ross hit 11 HRs after the trade and is hitting .302 this year.
  • Traded Kyle Edens for Esteban Yan. Yan pitched OK for two months and was released. Edens was 3-3 at A ball after the trade.
  • Traded OF Brandon Roberts to the Twins for Juan Castro. Castro is a serviceable infielder. Roberts hit. 316 with 27 steals after the trade in A ball.
  • Traded Travis Chick for Eddie Guardado. Guardado was OK when healthy but is coming off TJ surgery. Chick was 4-2 with a 3.19 ERA in AAA after the trade. A lot of people were high on Chick.
  • The Kearns for bullpen trade. Freed up payroll, the Reds have replaced both positions, and some say Bray is the Reds' future closer. The true value of this one is still to be determined down the road.
  • Traded Zach Ward to the Twins for Kyle Lohse. You never know which Lohse will show up. Ward was 7-0 with a 2.29 ERA in A ball at the time of the trade
  • Traded for Todd Hollandsworth. It was a conditional trade meaning the Reds will likely get a draft pick.
  • Traded Mike Burns to the Red Sox for Tim Bausher. Haven't heard from either since.
  • Signed Mike Stanton. Has a 6.92 ERA. We'll see.
  • Traded two minor leaguers (including OF Javon Moran) for Jeff Conine. Conine gives you a veteran bat, but Moran his hitting .320 in AA ball for the Phils.
  • Acquired Jeff Keppinger from Kansas City in exchange for Russ Haltiwanger
  • Acquired Kirk Saarloos and a player to be named from Oakland David Shafer

Not a really good move

• Signed Timo Perez
  • Released Luke Hudson - Was 7-6 for KC last year and would be of help to the bullpen this year
  • Signed Quinton McCracken - Hit .205 in 45 games and released in midseason
  • Signed Grant Balfour, who was injured and later released. Low risk move that didn't pan out.
  • Signed Darrell May, who hasn't pitched in the Majors since
  • Signed Joe Mays, who had a 7.33 ERA in seven starts last year
  • Traded Justin Germano to the Phillies for Rheal Cormier. Cormier wasn't very good and Germano is up with the Padres now. How would he look in the bullpen?
  • Traded Zac Stott to the Phillies for Ryan Franklin. Franklin had a 4.44 ERA in 20 games and was released. Stott pitched in A ball and is considered a one of the Phillies better pitching prospects.
  • After trading for Scott Schoenweis, who was 2-0 with a 0.63 ERA, they failed to resign him. How would he look in the bullpen?
  • Traded Brendan Harris, one of the guys they got in the Kearns trade, to Tampa for a PTBNL. Harris has been handed a starting job in Tampa Bay and is hitting .354 in 29 games.
  • Signed Todd Coffey through 2008. He really hasn't become reliable at the major league level yet has he?

What the heck is he thinking??!!!!???

• Couldn't really find a Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas trade anywhere.

What is your grade?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to factor in a lot. He doesn't have much to work with and he's achieved a good amount of success with what he has done. If the worst trade he ever makes is Kearns/Lopez for Majewski/Bray I will be very happy.

If the worst trade he ever makes is Kearns/Lopez for Majewski/Bray I will be very happy.

At worst it's replaceable talent for replaceable talent. I know why it's a major talking point for the "I watch sports to complain" crowd. That's part of why he's gets an A from me... ;)

I can't grade higher than a C for the man that has put a .500 team at best on the field. If he is the one that orchestrates the major retooling that needs to take place we will be able to better judge him. I agree that Arroyo,Phillips and Hamilton have been successes for Krivsky, but I think the bad still outweighs the good at this point. You can continually be looking for that silver lining but fact is this team is just flat out bad. You're in denial if you don't think so. Its almost June, so its early is out the window Someone tell me how .395 winning % gets the GM anything higher than a C.

B- , this Reds team was in such bad shape when he took over I will give him some slack bc of that. Really before the new front office took over the Reds were the going towards being the Bengals of the 90's.

They will be known as the Reds of the 2000's before you know it a whole decade slips away with 0 winning seasons. 2000 was the last season the Reds were in the plus side in the win/loss column, and I'm having a hard remembering last playoff team (getting smoked by the Mets in a playin game at home doesn't count) Bengals of the 90's? No. Reds of the 2000's? we'll know for sure in a couple of seasons. Nothing going on to suggest the playoff drought won't continue.