Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Frankfort High School

Featured Replies

Anyone heard of possible canidates for the boys basketball job? I have been hearing Scott Hundley's name come up again, dont know if they would be able to pull him from Montgomery, but it sure looks like within a year or two you could easily compete for the All A! Anyone know of the canidates or is their anyone that can validate this news?

What happened to their coach that was there last year? Didn't they make it to the region?

New administraton up there and they let everyone go

New administraton up there and they let everyone go

 

Here is the word I am getting from a spouse of an FHS coach of a different sport.

Most of their coaches recieved letters stating they were letting them go, however most had the option to come back at a lower pay scale (a way to save money). I am not sure if that option was available with this particular job or not.

So I guess the basketball coach chose not to come back?

I am not sure which coaches were given that choice. I am just getting this info second hand. Hopefully someone else out there can fill us in.

Frankfort High becomes more of a joke every year...I hope the administration there is proud of what they've done to a once tradition-rich and wholesome institution...

The let everyone go... Atleast we got to keep Foley. The new administration is a joke.

Sorry to hear about losing Byars. He did a good job.

 

The real question for FHS is how the revised KHSAA bylaws regarding feeder schools and eligibility will play out. I don't know how this will play out in Frankfort and Franklin County. I am not sure FHS could survive as a school without out of district students. Out of district students pay a small tuition fee with the state money following the student as well. Athletes that go to Frankfort from out of district, and there are many, will have to sit out Freshman year unless they go to 2 Street University in 7th and 8th grade. They get alot of student athletes from the local Catholic grade School, Good Shepherd. Where will Good Shepherd feed...Lex Cath?

 

Will this mess that has been created by the KHSAA be a deterent for the many out of district athletes that go to FHS?

 

There are alot of questions.

I am not sure what the infatuation that Out of District students have with FHS. The school is not better than any of the other schools in the County but every year they get a good crop of out of district kids, some good athletes included.

I am not sure what the infatuation that Out of District students have with FHS. The school is not better than any of the other schools in the County but every year they get a good crop of out of district kids, some good athletes included.

 

Historically it is has been that they had smaller classes - last year the high school was capped at 25 per class - and they had open lunch.

 

Both of these are probably coming to an end for at least a year.

 

BTW - Frankfort was the only school in central kentucky that met all of its AYP goals last year for NCLB. I would say they are doing pretty dang good academically.

 

As long as the county and city have reciprocity agreements, the new rule will not affect them. I am sure that those student who attend GSS and live in the Frankfort district will make a strong case not to be denied the right to go to their "home" school and continue to participate. Travelling 30+ miles to school at their own expense will be considered a hardship.

Historically it is has been that they had smaller classes - last year the high school was capped at 25 per class - and they had open lunch.

 

Both of these are probably coming to an end for at least a year.

 

BTW - Frankfort was the only school in central kentucky that met all of its AYP goals last year for NCLB. I would say they are doing pretty dang good academically.

 

As long as the county and city have reciprocity agreements, the new rule will not affect them. I am sure that those student who attend GSS and live in the Frankfort district will make a strong case not to be denied the right to go to their "home" school and continue to participate. Travelling 30+ miles to school at their own expense will be considered a hardship.

I agree with the hardship but the fact of the matter is that a majority of those GSS students do not live in the Franfort District. Also many of those GSS students carry much of the load for schools in Frankfort academically as GSS produces students that know how to study and do very well in High School.
I agree with the hardship but the fact of the matter is that a majority of those GSS students do not live in the Franfort District. Also many of those GSS students carry much of the load for schools in Frankfort academically as GSS produces students that know how to study and do very well in High School.

 

I will certainly not deny that the GSS students do an outstanding job, but to say they carry much of the load may be overstating it a bit.

 

Historically - the last four years - FHS took in only 10 - 20 tuition students. They averaged between 14 and 16 each year (a couple of those would be upperclassmen). GSS school graduated about 40, 4 of which go to LexCath and the other 36 were divided proportionally between Frankfort and the County schools. In other words about 5 or 6 came from GSS and most of those were girls. . . .

 

Out of 340 students at the most, very most, 40 would be from GSS. The bulk of the students in FHS are still from SSS "which produces students that know how to study and do very well in High School." SSS also met all of its NCLB goals this past year ;)

 

I have a 4th grader and a kindergartner at SSS and Rich Crowe is an outstanding principal and they have great teachers. It is pretty remarkable to meet the NCLB goals with the high percentage of Free and reduced lunch students and the historical data that shows this as being the primary achievement gap.

 

anybody heard who the new coach will be??:confused:

They are interviewing this week. They have interviewed a guy from Fla. Also have interviewed a guy from Henry clay and will be interviewing a guy from Layfette.

FHS is not becomeing a joke the administration has to repair what the last super did. FHS will be back on there feet this year. ($$$)

 

Whoever gets the job will be loaded with athletes.

I will certainly not deny that the GSS students do an outstanding job, but to say they carry much of the load may be overstating it a bit.

 

Historically - the last four years - FHS took in only 10 - 20 tuition students. They averaged between 14 and 16 each year (a couple of those would be upperclassmen). GSS school graduated about 40, 4 of which go to LexCath and the other 36 were divided proportionally between Frankfort and the County schools. In other words about 5 or 6 came from GSS and most of those were girls. . . .

 

Out of 340 students at the most, very most, 40 would be from GSS. The bulk of the students in FHS are still from SSS "which produces students that know how to study and do very well in High School." SSS also met all of its NCLB goals this past year ;)

 

I have a 4th grader and a kindergartner at SSS and Rich Crowe is an outstanding principal and they have great teachers. It is pretty remarkable to meet the NCLB goals with the high percentage of Free and reduced lunch students and the historical data that shows this as being the primary achievement gap.

 

anybody heard who the new coach will be??:confused:

I have no argument here. My only point here is that GSS is not a natural feeder to any one school in particular. When I refered to "Frankfort Schools" I mean the three High schools in Franklin County. I agree that GSS students are divided proportionately among those schools, and those schools are glad to get GSS students as they are typically strong academically.

 

IMO the new KHSAA feeder proposal is a bad idea, and GSS is just one example of where it will be a problem to enforce.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.