Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SEC Player Of The Year

Featured Replies

  • Author
A quick look at other conferences shows similar results. By no means am I claiming that the SEC is the best year in and year out but this don't mean nothing.

It means what it says if you want to take it at face value. The SEC POY has not had much NBA success over a decade. I've seen a lot more meaningless threads on here...

  • Replies 54
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It means what it says if you want to take it at face value. The SEC POY has not had much NBA success over a decade. I've seen a lot more meaningless threads on here...

I'll agree with the last part. But other CPOY's haven't had all that much success either as we have seen.

  • Author
I'll agree with the last part. But other CPOY's haven't had all that much success either as we have seen.

I didn't say otherwise. If the SEC was superior the POY would be superior. Since it is the same, there would seem to be no gap to make that claim year in and year out. The SEC is right with the rest of the other big conferences. Class dismissed... :p

Does this mean that the WCC was the best conference in the land when Nash was there?

 

Here you go - taken from another site

 

UConn leads the way with 14 former players now on an NBA payroll, with Duke (13), North Carolina (12), Arizona (10), and UCLA (10)

 

Atlantic Coast (12) 54 4.5

Pacific 10 (10) 42 4.2

Big East (16) 56 3.5

Big Ten (11) 35 3.2

Southeastern (12) 38 3.2

Big 12 (12) 37 3.1

Atlantic 10 (14) 20 1.4

Mountain West (9) 10 1.1

Conference USA (12) 12 1.0

West Coast (8) 5 0.6

Mid-American (12) 7 0.6

Western Athletic (9) 5 0.6

Missouri Valley (10) 4 0.4

Big West (8) 3 0.4

Sun Belt (13) 4 0.3

Colonial (12) 3 0.3

Horizon (9) 2 0.2

Ohio Valley (11) 2 0.2

Southern (11) 2 0.2

Mid-Continent (8) 1 0.1

Big Sky (8) 1 0.1

Patriot (8) 1 0.1

America East (9) 1 0.1

Southwestern (10) 1 0.1

Independents (11) 1 0.1

Mid-Eastern (11) 1 0.1

Southland (12) 1 0.1

Ivy League (8) 0 0.0

Metro Atlantic (10) 0 0.0

Big South (8) 0 0.0

Atlantic Sun (10) 0 0.0

Northeast (11) 0 0.0

 

Total Div. I College 349

Non-Div. I College 4

High School 35

Foreign 54

Total NBA Players 442

 

 

 

 

Connecticut 14

Duke 13

North Carolina 12

Arizona 10

UCLA 10

Michigan St. 9

Kansas 8

Kentucky 8

Maryland 7

Texas 7

California 6

Florida 6

Illinois 6

Michigan 6

Oklahoma St. 6

Cincinnati 5

Georgetown 5

LSU 5

Memphis 5

Stanford 5

Temple 5

Villanova 5

Alabama 4

Arkansas 4

Georgia Tech 4

Notre Dame 4

Seton Hall 4

Syracuse 4

Wake Forest 4

DePaul 3

Florida St. 3

Georgia 3

Gonzaga 3

Indiana 3

Iowa St. 3

Marquette 3

Miami-FL 3

Minnesota 3

Missouri 3

Nebraska 3

N. C. St. 3

Providence 3

Saint Joseph's 3

Utah 3

Washington 3

Xavier 3

Arizona St. 2

Auburn 2

Baylor 2

Bowling Green 2

Bradley 2

Clemson 2

Colorado 2

CS Northridge 2

Florida Int. 2

Fresno St. 2

Houston 2

Iowa 2

La Salle 2

Louisiana Tech 2

Miami-OH 2

Mississippi St. 2

New Mexico 2

Oregon 2

Oregon St. 2

Purdue 2

Rhode Island 2

South Carolina 2

South Florida 2

Southern Cal 2

UNLV 2

Wisconsin 2

Ark.-Little Rock 1

Austin Peay 1

Ball St. 1

Boston College 1

BYU 1

Central Michigan 1

Colgate 1

Col. Charleston 1

Creighton 1

Detroit 1

Drexel 1

Duquesne 1

Eastern Michigan 1

Florida A&M 1

Fordham 1

George Washington 1

Hartford 1

Hofstra 1

Jackson St. 1

La.-Lafayette 1

Louisville 1

Massachusetts 1

Mississippi 1

Murray St. 1

Nevada 1

Northeastern 1

Oakland 1

Ohio St. 1

Oklahoma 1

Pacific 1

Penn St. 1

Pepperdine 1

Pittsburgh 1

Portland St. 1

Rice 1

Rutgers 1

Saint Louis 1

Santa Clara 1

SMU 1

Southern Ill. 1

St. John's 1

TCU 1

Texas A&M 1

Texas St. 1

Texas Tech 1

Tulane 1

Tulsa 1

UAB 1

Utah Valley St. 1

Vanderbilt 1

Virginia 1

Virginia Tech 1

Western Carolina 1

Wright St. 1

Wyoming 1

I didn't say otherwise. If the SEC was superior the POY would be superior. Since it is the same, there would seem to be no gap to make that claim year in and year out. The SEC is right with the rest of the other big conferences. Class dismissed... :p

I don't think that's true at all.

  • Author
I don't think that's true at all.

It would be used as such all the time if true...

I didn't say otherwise. If the SEC was superior the POY would be superior. Since it is the same, there would seem to be no gap to make that claim year in and year out. The SEC is right with the rest of the other big conferences. Class dismissed... :p

 

That is not true at all! Why exactly does the player of the year have to be a player that ends up being a good NBA player. You hardly ever see teams win it all with just one great player, it is about the best TEAMS not player. And most of the SEC teams usually have good teams instead of just having one great player...

 

Im not saying it was or wasn't the best for the past 10 years, however this argument for why it isn't is really not that strong of an argument IMO...

It would be used as such all the time if true...

I don't think anyone would argue that having the best player in the country play in your conference is indicative of the strength of that conference.

First off, who thinks the SEC is the best conference the previous 10 years? I would like to see where someone said that.

I thought early in the season that the SEC was the best, but LSU and Alabama fell flat on their face and I alsot thought UK would be a little better. The SEC ended up being probably the 2nd or 3rd best conference.

This just goes to show the conference POYs don't always succeed at the next level...Reminds me of some recent Heisman winners...Troy Smith is a great example, going in the 5th round..Ward and Dane are 2 more who have had little to no success in the NFL. I'm sure theres more...

I don't think POY NBA success has too much relevance to conference strength.

 

I'd say is ACC/SEC/BEast for the top 3. You can pick the order however you want. The BEast is slightly unfair since they have 8000 teams, and they don't all even play in the conference tourney. (Similar to Big11 teams not playing each other in football.)

Since we have to hear on a regular basis how the SEC is the best basketball conference a quick look at the past 10 POY winners should have seen some sustained NBA success, right? Let's take a look...

 

Ansu Sesay, Ole Miss, 1998

Chris Porter, Auburn, 1999

Stromile Swift, LSU, and Dan Langhi, Vanderbilt, 2000

Tayshaun Prince, Kentucky, 2001

Erwin Dudley, Alabama, 2002

Ron Slay, Tennessee, 2003

Lawrence Roberts, Mississippi State, 2004

Brandon Bass, LSU, 2005

Glen Davis, LSU, 2006

 

Impressive... :lol:

Playing college ball has no bearing on the success or lack thereof in regards to an NBA career. It is a whole different game.

I highlighted Tayshaun Prince for obvious reasons.

I didn't say otherwise. If the SEC was superior the POY would be superior. Since it is the same, there would seem to be no gap to make that claim year in and year out. The SEC is right with the rest of the other big conferences. Class dismissed... :p

Class may have been dismissed but I think you left way before the bell rang.:D

Class may have been dismissed but I think you left way before the bell rang.:D

 

 

:laugh:

 

I would like for 1 person to step forward and say they think the SEC has been the best conference over the past 10 years. If no one can I would like for Gametime to atleast tell us who he is trying to prove wrong here. I don't see anyone saying this.

The POY vs. NBA success argument isn't that effective...most of the best NBA players from recent years are guys that come straight from high school, or only play a couple of years in college. They're often "potential" guys, rather than established collegiate producers. These POY types are typically upperclassmen who are experienced and are very good college players...but, obviously they aren't big time NBA prospects, or they wouldn't be upperclassmen at the college level. They'd already be gone to the NBA.

 

I'm not trying to defend the SEC here, because I've never been a huge proponent of SEC basketball. There are occasional years when it is the strongest conference, but typically it's not, IMO. And, it usually falls short of expectation when it gets a lot of hype. I just don't think this particular argument is a real strong one for proving that point...there would be better, and more effective, arguments to make. But, I'm not getting into it, because I really don't care if the SEC is perceived to be the best or worst basketball conference. It doesn't matter to me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.