April 3, 200719 yr Hard to say...I never saw those teams back in the 60's and early 70s, or at least I can't remember them....The best team I can remember was the UNLV teams of the early 90s...They won it and then were runner ups the next year, after being upset by DukeThe Duke teams of 91-92 were just as good as the Vegas teams of 90-91 ... UNLV's reputation was largely built on one game, the rout of Duke in the 90 title game. It put the Rebels on a pedestal that they couldn't realistically maintain. The perfect record they took into the 91 semifinals was mostly against a soft schedule. As for Florida ... as good a team as we've seen in a decade ... not necessarily better than all of them, but right there at the top at the least. The Gators are about as complete an offensive club as we've seen in a while.
April 3, 200719 yr Hard to say...I never saw those teams back in the 60's and early 70s, or at least I can't remember them....The best team I can remember was the UNLV teams of the early 90s...They won it and then were runner ups the next year, after being upset by Duke....I'd place the 96 team at UK ahead of them because of the depth that team had...I'd also put the NCarolina team of a few years ago ahead of them, with all the 1st round picks that team had and they were much more dominant throughout the season. The Clyde Drexler, Akeem Alajuwan teams in the 80s were great, too...I don't remember much about the Gtown team with P.Ewing and company, but, alot of people have said they were one of the best....How about UCLAs Alcinder and Walton teams..They have to be in the conversation...Indianas undefeated team in 76 was also loaded...i'd have all these ahead of this years Florida team, but, can't think of too many others ahead of them ... i'd put that UNC team of 2005 ahead of Florida's team....
April 3, 200719 yr Gators fourth-best all-time Doyel must have BGP bookmarked; he's mining you guys for column topics!
April 3, 200719 yr Author Off the top of my head...I'd rate the following teams above Florida for sure UNLV 1990 Duke 1991 & 1992 Kentucky 1996 Duke 2001 North Carolina 2005 I really think that Florida benefitted greatly from the fact that they returned almost their whole team, and did return all the major players from a title team. That's a huge advantage in today's college basketball, as GT previously stated in this post or another (I'm not sure). They have to get props for repeating, but taking all that into consideration, if I just look at the Gators teams as separate entities without regard to the repeat...I'm not sure this Gator team was definitely better than some other recent champs such as Arkansas, UCLA, Michigan State and Maryland...I'm probably get shredded for that opinion, but that's just what I think.
April 3, 200719 yr Yeah, I dont like Doyel. Anyways, you cant dismiss a team as being great based on winning only 1 championship. Its an amazing story what Florida has done. And its great that they all came back and were a team and won it again. But that does not make them better than some of the teams that only won 1 in a row.
April 3, 200719 yr Off the top of my head...I'd rate the following teams above Florida for sure UNLV 1990 Duke 1991 & 1992 Kentucky 1996 Duke 2001 North Carolina 2005 I really think that Florida benefitted greatly from the fact that they returned almost their whole team, and did return all the major players from a title team. That's a huge advantage in today's college basketball, as GT previously stated in this post or another (I'm not sure). They have to get props for repeating, but taking all that into consideration, if I just look at the Gators teams as separate entities without regard to the repeat...I'm not sure this Gator team was definitely better than some other recent champs such as Arkansas, UCLA, Michigan State and Maryland...I'm probably get shredded for that opinion, but that's just what I think. Please help me understand what returning your starters has to do with the price of tea in China? This team should stand alone vs. all other teams. Last year shouldn't be a consideration when rating them vs. the others. It's the '07 Gators, not the '06/'07 Gators. If you consider them last year, then they have won twice as many championships as any other team.
April 3, 200719 yr Author Please help me understand what returning your starters has to do with the price of tea in China? This team should stand alone vs. all other teams. Last year shouldn't be a consideration when rating them vs. the others. It's the '07 Gators, not the '06/'07 Gators. If you consider them last year, then they have won twice as many championships as any other team. I don't know...I'll have to research that...I'll link you to this though...I typed in "returning starters and the price of tea in china" on yahoo, and this popped up...LINK...if you're interested, I supposed you could start there. :thumb:
April 3, 200719 yr I don't know...I'll have to research that...I'll link you to this though...I typed in "returning starters and the price of tea in china" on yahoo, and this popped up...LINK...if you're interested, I supposed you could start there. :thumb: I clicked on it and all I got was a short oriental lady who said "Me love you long time", oh, and she said " UK homers refuse to honor team that has their coach and their number for the last few years".:cry:
April 3, 200719 yr Gators fourth-best all-time Doyel must have BGP bookmarked; he's mining you guys for column topics! I think that Doyle has missed the mark on this column. When talking the best teams of all time, you can't simply throw out a team as he did because they didn't repeat. One has nothing to do with the other. Using his criteria the 1996 UK team is one Derek Anderson ACL from being back in his discusion. Per his criteria, had Corey Brewer tore an ACL in the SEC tourny and UF failed to repeat, they would somehow be less of a team? Also UF benefited greatly by the fact that seveal of their starters choose to forgo the riches of the NBA and return to school. Does that automatically make them better than schools who won championships and had one or more underclassmen declare for the NBA. How many of those schools might have had the opportunity to repeat if all their stars came back? I think his arguement is pretty closed minded if you can only consider teams that won back to back. Again its apples and oranges. Unless what he was really considering is who is the best team over a two year period.
April 3, 200719 yr Author I clicked on it and all I got was a short oriental lady who said "Me love you long time", oh, and she said " UK homers refuse to honor team that has their coach and their number for the last few years".:cry: :lol: I know they sound similar, but isn't it amazing how "few" seems a lot longer than "two"? Besides that, I have no strong feelings one way or another toward Florida...believe me, I like them much better than Arkansas, so if that was playing a factor, I sure wouldn't give the Razorback title team and consideration.
April 3, 200719 yr You guys can say all of those teams are better than Florida, but how many of them won back to back titles...WITH THE SAME TEAM. That speaks a lot more than how good a team was for one year. This team dominated. No team has ever done what they've done. That makes them a top 5 team IMO.
April 3, 200719 yr I think that Doyle has missed the mark on this column. When talking the best teams of all time, you can't simply throw out a team as he did because they didn't repeat. One has nothing to do with the other. Using his criteria the 1996 UK team is one Derek Anderson ACL from being back in his discusion. Per his criteria, had Corey Brewer tore an ACL in the SEC tourny and UF failed to repeat, they would somehow be less of a team? Also UF benefited greatly by the fact that seveal of their starters choose to forgo the riches of the NBA and return to school. Does that automatically make them better than schools who won championships and had one or more underclassmen declare for the NBA. How many of those schools might have had the opportunity to repeat if all their stars came back? I think his arguement is pretty closed minded if you can only consider teams that won back to back. Again its apples and oranges. Unless what he was really considering is who is the best team over a two year period. You just proved my point exactly. Florida is one of the best TEAMS of all time because they weren't worried about making the jump and getting the money. They obviously thought another year could help them all out and they wanted to repeat so they stayed together as a TEAM. And that is something, once again, a great TEAM does.
April 3, 200719 yr You guys can say all of those teams are better than Florida, but how many of them won back to back titles...WITH THE SAME TEAM. That speaks a lot more than how good a team was for one year. This team dominated. No team has ever done what they've done. That makes them a top 5 team IMO. ?????? I think if this Florida team played some of the teams on my list they would get beat. That is simply why I made my list the way I did. Its like the 98 UK team could win 3 titles in a row. They wouldnt be as good as the 96 team.
April 3, 200719 yr Author You guys can say all of those teams are better than Florida, but how many of them won back to back titles...WITH THE SAME TEAM. That speaks a lot more than how good a team was for one year. This team dominated. No team has ever done what they've done. That makes them a top 5 team IMO. That's the whole point...that almost never happens for a team to return the exact same unit from one year to the next. Go down the list of championship teams and just guess what would have happened if that exact same team would have played again the next year, with a year of maturity under their belt... ...how many of them would have repeated?
April 3, 200719 yr That's the whole point...that almost never happens for a team to return the exact same unit from one year to the next. Go down the list of championship teams and just guess what would have happened if that exact same team would have played again the next year, with a year of maturity under their belt... ...how many of them would have repeated? But how many of those championship teams won starting 4 sophomores? (06) and then 4 juniors with 1 senior? (07)
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.