April 3, 200719 yr They are a very good team, but I wouldn't have them in my top 5 of all-time. Probably top 10, but I'd have to think about all the past champs before I made that a definite.
April 3, 200719 yr Author They are a very good team, but I wouldn't have them in my top 5 of all-time. Probably top 10, but I'd have to think about all the past champs before I made that a definite. :thumb: That's about how I see it. I'm not sure if they'd be in my top 10. I was just wondering how everyone else viewed them.
April 3, 200719 yr I agree. I would have them in the bottom half of my top ten, but for sure not in the top five.
April 3, 200719 yr Hard to say...I never saw those teams back in the 60's and early 70s, or at least I can't remember them....The best team I can remember was the UNLV teams of the early 90s...They won it and then were runner ups the next year, after being upset by Duke....I'd place the 96 team at UK ahead of them because of the depth that team had...I'd also put the NCarolina team of a few years ago ahead of them, with all the 1st round picks that team had and they were much more dominant throughout the season. The Clyde Drexler, Akeem Alajuwan teams in the 80s were great, too...I don't remember much about the Gtown team with P.Ewing and company, but, alot of people have said they were one of the best....How about UCLAs Alcinder and Walton teams..They have to be in the conversation...Indianas undefeated team in 76 was also loaded...i'd have all these ahead of this years Florida team, but, can't think of too many others ahead of them ...
April 3, 200719 yr Top 10 for sure, but not among the 4 or 5 best ever... I'd say history will soon change the minds of many, considering the same starting 5 repeats in an age where parity in college basketball is at an undeniable high. 3 1st rounders, possibly 4. Hard to say one team in any given year that I can remember was head and shoulders above. With that said, I'm not old enough to remember any teams prior to the Roby/Givens era, so with that as my measuring stick, I can't say that they aren't top 5 IMO.
April 3, 200719 yr I'd say history will soon change the minds of many, considering the same starting 5 repeats in an age where parity in college basketball is at an undeniable high. 3 1st rounders, possibly 4. Hard to say one team in any given year that I can remember was head and shoulders above. With that said, I'm not old enough to remember any teams prior to the Roby/Givens era, so with that as my measuring stick, I can't say that they aren't top 5 IMO. But remember part of the parity is the ever changing roster, and Florida didn't have that concern. Most teams are built on the fly every October and that creates an easier path to the title for a team with the experience of Florida. Just as an example Texas would have been the best team in America if Tucker and Aldridge return to play with Durant...
April 3, 200719 yr But remember part of the parity is the ever changing roster, and Florida didn't have that concern. Most teams are built on the fly every October and that creates an easier to the title for a team with the experience of Florida... So is that a knock or a plus?
April 3, 200719 yr So is that a knock or a plus? It's a plus in getting title #2. I don't think it vaults them in to the top 5 all time...
April 3, 200719 yr It's a plus in getting title #2. I don't think it vaults them in to the top 5 all time... My argument is this, I understand that they had the returning 5, but if you'd have picked them to win it in the preseason, the response would have been that "they ought to, they have everyone returning". So how could the expectations and pressure been any more great on this team? That combined with the fact that they really were not marginally challenged throughout the tournament (not due to lack of quality opponent either) and handily defeated the #1 team in the land at season's end according to some polls makes me feel otherwise. And remember, If you discount that they won last year with the same team, then let this team stand alone for this season only, and they stack up pretty well with the rest IMO.
April 3, 200719 yr I think most people are actually in agreement on this. They are top 10, but not top 5.
April 3, 200719 yr My list is: 1. 96 Kentucky 2. 68 UCLA 3. 76 Indiana 4. 92 Duke 5. 82 UNC 6. 72 UCLA 7. 07 Florida 8. 90 UNLV 9. 78 Kentucky 10. 01 Duke
April 3, 200719 yr I like the way that Billy Donovan kept saying what he did last night. I think they definitely were one of the best "teams" to play together. Not cause of skill...but they way they played together.
April 3, 200719 yr My list is: 1. 96 Kentucky 2. 68 UCLA 3. 76 Indiana 4. 92 Duke 5. 82 UNC 6. 72 UCLA 7. 07 Florida 8. 90 UNLV 9. 78 Kentucky 10. 01 Duke That alone is enough to make me understand why you think that "most" people don't believe they are top 5.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.