April 3, 200719 yr The fab 5 returned the same team from their championship runner up team the next year and still didn't win it all. It just goes to show what this team has done is truly something special. I'm sorry some of you UK fans aren't humble enough to admit that another SEC team has done something you've never done.
April 3, 200719 yr Author The fab 5 returned the same team from their championship runner up team the next year and still didn't win it all. It just goes to show what this team has done is truly something special. That it is.
April 3, 200719 yr That's the whole point...that almost never happens for a team to return the exact same unit from one year to the next. Go down the list of championship teams and just guess what would have happened if that exact same team would have played again the next year, with a year of maturity under their belt... ...how many of them would have repeated? But if you're analyzing teams individually, you have to discount what they did previously or afterwards. Was the 07 team better than the 06 team? IMO, yes. So they should be rated individually. The facts as to why they stayed, etc. shouldn't weigh in on where they rate all time. And one thing remains, these arguments are circular, simply because there is no "definitive" answer.
April 3, 200719 yr Author The fab 5 returned the same team from their championship runner up team the next year and still didn't win it all. It just goes to show what this team has done is truly something special. I'm sorry some of you UK fans aren't humble enough to admit that another SEC team has done something you've never done. Does it always have to come back to some childish insult about "some UK fans"? Please. I applaud Florida for what they've accomplished. It is something special, but that doesn't mean I have to think that this year's squad is one of the greatest teams ever and that has nothing to do with being a UK fan.
April 3, 200719 yr But if you're analyzing teams individually, you have to discount what they did previously or afterwards. Was the 07 team better than the 06 team? IMO, yes. So they should be rated individually. The facts as to why they stayed, etc. shouldn't weigh in on where they rate all time. And one thing remains, these arguments are circular, simply because there is no "definitive" answer. But still, the 06 and 07 team are the exact same team, just different competition. Therefor they should be rated together.
April 3, 200719 yr Does it always have to come back to some childish insult about "some UK fans"? Please. I applaud Florida for what they've accomplished. It is something special, but that doesn't mean I have to think that this year's squad is one of the greatest teams ever and that has nothing to do with being a UK fan. :sleep: :sleep:
April 3, 200719 yr Author But if you're analyzing teams individually, you have to discount what they did previously or afterwards. Was the 07 team better than the 06 team? IMO, yes. So they should be rated individually. The facts as to why they stayed, etc. shouldn't weigh in on where they rate all time. And one thing remains, these arguments are circular, simply because there is no "definitive" answer. That's the whole basis for my argument. I think this year's Florida team was better, but I don't think they were as good as 1990 UNLV, 1991 & 1992 Duke, 1996 UK, 2001 Duke, 2005 UNC...IMO, they were more on par with 1994 Arkansas, 1995 UCLA, and 2000 Michigan State. I apologize for my opinion that I think that...obviously, as a UK fan, my love for programs like Arkansas, UCLA and Michigan State and my hatred for Florida makes me feel this way. But, you're right...there is no definitive answer. All I'm saying is that this Florida team has accomplished something truly great and special, but the fact that they won back-to-back, doesn't make me think either of these Gator teams were clearly better than the 2000 Michigan State team, for example. That's all. If you're looking at multi-year runs, then obviously they're right near the top...but on a year-to-year basis, they're a little lower on the list.
April 3, 200719 yr :sleep: :sleep: I agree with 5wide... I see this team and I see a team that has done something extremely special... As I heard on ESPN last night... They went from getting absolutely no attention and winning it all, to getting tons of attention and having the bullseye still on them and winning it all. Amidst all the pressure from the second they announced they would not be declaring for the draft, they stuck it out and won the championship. Still... As much credit as I am willing to give this team, I don't see how they could possibly compare with some of the best ever.. The 96 Kentucky team, the 01 Duke team, the 92 Duke team, etc. They just don't fit the bill to me. They are special, they've done something extraordinary, and they'll go down in history for it... But talentwise, I can't see that they are a top 5 all time team. If that opinion makes me a UK fan that isn't humble enough to admit that another SEC team has done something that they've never done, so be it.
April 3, 200719 yr That's the whole basis for my argument. I think this year's Florida team was better, but I don't think they were as good as 1990 UNLV, 1991 & 1992 Duke, 1996 UK, 2001 Duke, 2005 UNC...IMO, they were more on par with 1994 Arkansas, 1995 UCLA, and 2000 Michigan State. I apologize for my opinion that I think that...obviously, as a UK fan, my love for programs like Arkansas, UCLA and Michigan State and my hatred for Florida makes me feel this way. But, you're right...there is no definitive answer. All I'm saying is that this Florida team has accomplished something truly great and special, but the fact that they won back-to-back, doesn't make me think either of these Gator teams were clearly better than the 2000 Michigan State team, for example. That's all. If you're looking at multi-year runs, then obviously they're right near the top...but on a year-to-year basis, they're a little lower on the list. I understand and respect your opinion. All I'm saying is that this team should rate as a single season team when mentioning all time teams. Simply as if they hadn't won last year.
April 3, 200719 yr But still, the 06 and 07 team are the exact same team, just different competition. Therefor they should be rated together. Well, I was with you until this one. They have the same folks. That's about it. One year of maturity, one year of playing in the same system, and one year of playing with each other made them a different, and in my opinion, better team than last years.
April 3, 200719 yr I agree with 5wide... I see this team and I see a team that has done something extremely special... As I heard on ESPN last night... They went from getting absolutely no attention and winning it all, to getting tons of attention and having the bullseye still on them and winning it all. Amidst all the pressure from the second they announced they would not be declaring for the draft, they stuck it out and won the championship. Still... As much credit as I am willing to give this team, I don't see how they could possibly compare with some of the best ever.. The 96 Kentucky team, the 01 Duke team, the 92 Duke team, etc. They just don't fit the bill to me. They are special, they've done something extraordinary, and they'll go down in history for it... But talentwise, I can't see that they are a top 5 all time team. If that opinion makes me a UK fan that isn't humble enough to admit that another SEC team has done something that they've never done, so be it. IMo we really won't know how good this Florida team really is until we see what they do in the NBA. If all 4 go to the NBA and have all star seasons at some point in their careers then we can say how great they really were and compare them to recent talents like 91-92 Duke , 96 UK, etc. Now if they don't have as much success as the NBA players from the teams named above, then we can say a few of us (myself included) went way over the top giving more praise than they deserved.
April 3, 200719 yr Well, I was with you until this one. They have the same folks. That's about it. One year of maturity, one year of playing in the same system, and one year of playing with each other made them a different, and in my opinion, better team than last years. :thumb:
April 3, 200719 yr Author [/b] I understand and respect your opinion. All I'm saying is that this team should rate as a single season team when mentioning all time teams. Simply as if they hadn't won last year. I think you misunderstood me then, because that's the point I was trying to make. I think some people may make the mistake of overrating this team based on the fact that they repeated rather than just looking at this year alone and judging how good they were.
April 3, 200719 yr IMo we really won't know how good this Florida team really is until we see what they do in the NBA. If all 4 go to the NBA and have all star seasons at some point in their careers then we can say how great they really were and compare them to recent talents like 91-92 Duke , 96 UK, etc. Now if they don't have as much success as the NBA players from the teams named above, then we can say a few of us (myself included) went way over the top giving more praise than they deserved. I don't think that's fair to them... We're talking about college.. Not the NBA... 92 Duke didn't have a ton of NBA glory... Still one of the best college teams of all time. Regardless of what anyone says... They won 2 straight championships, and I'll never try to take that away from them. If they go on and have long, healthy, storied NBA careers, I think that would be great... But I don't see it as telling as what they are doing now... If they flop, they'll still have 2 rings... Nothing will change that. The teams that are at the top of my list looked like men among boys... Rolling against most of their competition... This Florida team had too many struggles for me to see them as anything more than just a great championship college team, not elite. But I picked them to win my bracket, so obviously they were doing something right.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.