Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

There's A HUGE Misconception Somewhere...

Featured Replies

Donovan or Calapari would rebuild us in no time. They know how to get the blue chips.

 

You are 100% correct

  • Replies 38
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, "Tubby Bashers" have somehow managed to decide for me that since I do not believe Tubby Smith should be fired, that I am somehow supportive of mediocrity and happy where the program is.

 

Congratulations on being wrong.

 

Do I think UK should be an 8 seed year after year? Absolutely not. I'd love to see them winning championships year after and dominating the field. UK has missed the boat on numerous recruits and are majorly suffering as a result of it. It's been true the entire time, no use reminding people of it every day.

 

But while I'm not happy with the way the program is right now, I understand that there's a right way to handle it, and a wrong way to handle it.

 

To me, the right way is giving Tubby a chance to right the ship that he's captained the wrong direction out at sea, and if given a couple of seasons he cannot, then you cut ties.

 

What I think is the wrong way is posting all over message boards the lofty expectations of the UK basketball program, how Tubby is not living up to them, how he should not have a job next season, and the constant ripping of the player's on the team who actually do care anything at all about the program.

 

What does this help? What does ESPN focusing on maniacal UK fans who want Tubby gone after 2 seasons that would've been considered great for 99% of other schools help? Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

 

Even if ESPN does fuel the fire by making more out of it than there is (and I could definitely argue you that I haven't seen them paint things in too unfair of a light) recruits can only take it the way they spin it. Why would they want to come here? Why would a new coach want to come here if Tubby leaves?

 

The way UK fans as a whole are being portrayed due to a select few is doing absolutely no good to help the program. Nothing that happens at this point is going to make people happy... I don't see any coach that UK actually has a realistic shot of getting being able to do anything more than Tubby Smith is doing, and that's not a bias... It's just a fact.

 

But just because I don't think Tubby should be fired, don't assume that I am happy with the UK basketball team... Nothing could be further from the truth.

 

 

:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

 

 

Great Post! I agree, UK is slipping while the rest of basketball is rising. I don't think we are crap because only (I use this loosely) 31 (at the most) teams were better than us this year. The tourney proved that. Tubby is doing just as good here as anyone else would with this current roster. Yes he is the head coach and all the blame goes on him this season, just the way all the glory goes on him when he has sucess. He has a great upcoming senior class, a good upcoming sophomore class, and (knock on wood) a great freshman class coming in. Next year, I expect a Sweet 16, anything less is unacceptable; Even if Morris leaves.

I could see a line-up like this:

PG-Bradley/Jasper (Tubby won't quit on either)

SG-Bradley/Meeks

SF-Crawford

PF-Patterson (hopefully)

C-Morris (again, hopefully)

6th man= Jai Lucas (hopefully)

So I hope:

PG-Bradley

SG-Meeks

SF-Crawford

PF-Patterson

C-Morris

6th man= Jai Lucas until he learns the offense to take over the point. Which I hope Bradley moves over to the 2, and Jai takes the point.

I agree with your first and last comment Hangman. When I was dating, I would go out with some real lookers. After a few dates, I could see why they weren't married and their warts so-to-speak became magnified on each date. Did that make me a bad evaluator of beauty? I don't think so. I just think Tubby has been stuck with some players that looked good from a distance only to be a team of butter faces at the end of the day.

 

:D :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Calapari would land us back on probation in no time....

 

Donavon's career track record says he wouldn't be any better than Tubby, and he wouldn't come anyways.

Calapari would land us back on probation in no time....

 

:thumb: :thumb: Amen to that, Calapri just reminds me of a used car salesman. Not very trustworthy. I definately wouldn't want him.

Apparently, "Tubby Bashers" have somehow managed to decide for me that since I do not believe Tubby Smith should be fired, that I am somehow supportive of mediocrity and happy where the program is.

 

Congratulations on being wrong.

 

Do I think UK should be an 8 seed year after year? Absolutely not. I'd love to see them winning championships year after and dominating the field. UK has missed the boat on numerous recruits and are majorly suffering as a result of it. It's been true the entire time, no use reminding people of it every day.

 

But while I'm not happy with the way the program is right now, I understand that there's a right way to handle it, and a wrong way to handle it.

 

To me, the right way is giving Tubby a chance to right the ship that he's captained the wrong direction out at sea, and if given a couple of seasons he cannot, then you cut ties.

 

What I think is the wrong way is posting all over message boards the lofty expectations of the UK basketball program, how Tubby is not living up to them, how he should not have a job next season, and the constant ripping of the player's on the team who actually do care anything at all about the program.

 

What does this help? What does ESPN focusing on maniacal UK fans who want Tubby gone after 2 seasons that would've been considered great for 99% of other schools help? Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

 

Even if ESPN does fuel the fire by making more out of it than there is (and I could definitely argue you that I haven't seen them paint things in too unfair of a light) recruits can only take it the way they spin it. Why would they want to come here? Why would a new coach want to come here if Tubby leaves?

 

The way UK fans as a whole are being portrayed due to a select few is doing absolutely no good to help the program. Nothing that happens at this point is going to make people happy... I don't see any coach that UK actually has a realistic shot of getting being able to do anything more than Tubby Smith is doing, and that's not a bias... It's just a fact.

 

But just because I don't think Tubby should be fired, don't assume that I am happy with the UK basketball team... Nothing could be further from the truth.

This entire post was very well stated. I especially agree with how the media potrays U.K. fans due to a select minority that unfortunately are the loudest amoungst us. ESPN and other media imo plays on this and that helps no one. Also the other points that you made are good ones. If anyone on here thinks that thesae kids/recruits do not read message boards then I would love to know what they are smoking :rolleyes: . These kids are very impressionable and negativity breeds negativity. The parents of these kids might also look at it and not want them at U.K. just bc of all of this. Does anyone think that a parent would want their kid subjected to critisizm on anything and everything they do? Of course not!

 

Hangman, you made some very good points with this thread and I agree with you. Just bc a person does not want Tubby fired does NOT mean that they are satisfied with mediocrity:irked: .

Calapari would land us back on probation in no time....

 

Donavon's career track record says he wouldn't be any better than Tubby, and he wouldn't come anyways.

 

Yeah.. I mean just look at all the trouble Memphis is in! :rolleyes:

As this thread clearly states, just because someone is not of the opinion that Tubby should be fired, it doesn't mean they are happy with the results of the past couple of years.

 

I'm sure Kentucky fans across the state jumped for joy when the Cats lost to Kansas today.. Second round exits excite the masses.

 

That goes both ways though, or is there a double standard? People who criticize Tubby in any way, shape or form are dubbed "Tubby Bashers" and "not a true fan of UK"...and then the same people who say that, get upset when they're accused of "accepting mediocrity".

 

It just seems to me that both sides of this argument are quick to label the other side unfairly because they don't see things the same way, or react differently. Some people don't like Tubby, they don't think he's as good a coach as others do...it's an opinion and it doesn't make them any less intelligent or any less of a fan of UK basketball, just like supporting Tubby doesn't mean someone enjoys or is accepting of mediocre basketball.

Anyone? Anyone?

 

 

 

I agree. :thumb:

That goes both ways though, or is there a double standard? People who criticize Tubby in any way, shape or form are dubbed "Tubby Bashers" and "not a true fan of UK"...and then the same people who say that, get upset when they're accused of "accepting mediocrity".

 

It just seems to me that both sides of this argument are quick to label the other side unfairly because they don't see things the same way, or react differently. Some people don't like Tubby, they don't think he's as good a coach as others do...it's an opinion and it doesn't make them any less intelligent or any less of a fan of UK basketball, just like supporting Tubby doesn't mean someone enjoys or is accepting of mediocre basketball.

 

That's today's world. You have to pick a side and one side is 100% wrong. Democrat/Republican, pro-abortion/anti-abortion, public school/private school sports, Tubby Smith. You aren't allowed to see both sides, because one side is completely wrong.

  • Author
That goes both ways though, or is there a double standard? People who criticize Tubby in any way, shape or form are dubbed "Tubby Bashers" and "not a true fan of UK"...and then the same people who say that, get upset when they're accused of "accepting mediocrity".

 

It just seems to me that both sides of this argument are quick to label the other side unfairly because they don't see things the same way, or react differently. Some people don't like Tubby, they don't think he's as good a coach as others do...it's an opinion and it doesn't make them any less intelligent or any less of a fan of UK basketball, just like supporting Tubby doesn't mean someone enjoys or is accepting of mediocre basketball.

 

I've never told anyone that they aren't a fan of UK... I don't try to think for people.

 

I can't control what other people do or say, but I for one am sick of the amount of people who tell me that I've lowered my standards and I expect less when I turn on a game than them. Nobody knows what I think but me, so people should probably stop thinking that they do.

tubby has had 8 years!! he's had his time & he's wasted it. he felt the pressure & got morris & that group & quit again. If he does a good job then he can coast another few years. I'm tired of his inconsistency. These teams do not understand how to win. Have you ever sat down & thought we would win a close game down the stretch. I hope not, b/c WE DON'T!! The end of a game is Chaos in Tubbyville. Some of that has to fall on a Coach.

That's today's world. You have to pick a side and one side is 100% wrong. Democrat/Republican, pro-abortion/anti-abortion, public school/private school sports, Tubby Smith. You aren't allowed to see both sides, because one side is completely wrong.

 

It definitely seems that way doesn't it? You make a good point about how it is that way across the board, no matter what the topic.

 

It seems people are often quick to paint a broad picture. Anyone who votes democrat is a tree-hugging, anti-war, non-patriotic, liberal...etc...

tubby has had 8 years!! he's had his time & he's wasted it. he felt the pressure & got morris & that group & quit again. If he does a good job then he can coast another few years. I'm tired of his inconsistency. These teams do not understand how to win. Have you ever sat down & thought we would win a close game down the stretch. I hope not, b/c WE DON'T!! The end of a game is Chaos in Tubbyville. Some of that has to fall on a Coach.

Tubby has been at UK for 10 seasons.

Tubby has been at UK for 10 seasons.

 

Yep, I counted it up after the post but either way he's done a less than stellar job over the last 9 years. UK wins the games they are suppose to win & loses those they are suppose to (lately anyone that is in the top 25, beats us)

 

UK just needs a change of scenary. The program is stagnant.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.