March 19, 200719 yr Apparently, "Tubby Bashers" have somehow managed to decide for me that since I do not believe Tubby Smith should be fired, that I am somehow supportive of mediocrity and happy where the program is. Congratulations on being wrong. Do I think UK should be an 8 seed year after year? Absolutely not. I'd love to see them winning championships year after and dominating the field. UK has missed the boat on numerous recruits and are majorly suffering as a result of it. It's been true the entire time, no use reminding people of it every day. But while I'm not happy with the way the program is right now, I understand that there's a right way to handle it, and a wrong way to handle it. To me, the right way is giving Tubby a chance to right the ship that he's captained the wrong direction out at sea, and if given a couple of seasons he cannot, then you cut ties. What I think is the wrong way is posting all over message boards the lofty expectations of the UK basketball program, how Tubby is not living up to them, how he should not have a job next season, and the constant ripping of the player's on the team who actually do care anything at all about the program. What does this help? What does ESPN focusing on maniacal UK fans who want Tubby gone after 2 seasons that would've been considered great for 99% of other schools help? Please tell me, I'm dying to know. Even if ESPN does fuel the fire by making more out of it than there is (and I could definitely argue you that I haven't seen them paint things in too unfair of a light) recruits can only take it the way they spin it. Why would they want to come here? Why would a new coach want to come here if Tubby leaves? The way UK fans as a whole are being portrayed due to a select few is doing absolutely no good to help the program. Nothing that happens at this point is going to make people happy... I don't see any coach that UK actually has a realistic shot of getting being able to do anything more than Tubby Smith is doing, and that's not a bias... It's just a fact. But just because I don't think Tubby should be fired, don't assume that I am happy with the UK basketball team... Nothing could be further from the truth.
March 19, 200719 yr You have to analyze thing 3 or so years at a time. Do you really see UK getting much better in the next 3 years? The last 2 years have been a total failure. IMO Tubby has peaked. The players aren't really responding, nobody is motivated, and the recruits are not opening or returning our letters.
March 19, 200719 yr Author I don't see them getting better under any other coach, because nobody who is actually an upgrade will want to come and deal with this.
March 19, 200719 yr You have to analyze thing 3 or so years at a time. Do you really see UK getting much better in the next 3 years? The last 2 years have been a total failure. IMO Tubby has peaked. The players aren't really responding, nobody is motivated, and the recruits are not opening or returning our letters. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
March 19, 200719 yr I agree with what you have said. I too am disappointed with the UK season, however, that being said I still feel that Tubby can have success at UK. We are only two seasons removed from an excellent team (Final Four or not). I think some coaching staff changes are in order, and some positive recruiting news would help. It may get worse before it gets better, and unfortunately if that is the case Tubby may not get the opportunity to right the ship. I think it is naive to believe that a simple coaching change will bring back '96 to '98. Given the current state of the fanbase it would take some guts for anybody to accept this job. Lets not forget Eddie Sutton, he is often regarded by the talking head on TV as one of the better NCAA coaches ever. However, he was only marginally successful at UK at best, and what success he did have didn't even come honestly. The NCAA is a much different enviroment than it was back then. There are more contenders than ever before. Who would have thought that top recruits would end up at Texas or Southern Cal or Kansas St.
March 19, 200719 yr I don't see them getting better under any other coach, because nobody who is actually an upgrade will want to come and deal with this. Donovan or Calapari would rebuild us in no time. They know how to get the blue chips.
March 19, 200719 yr Author Yes, I'm sure they're both waiting by the phone for the call to come to Kentucky. I don't see either of them ever coaching UK... Don't even want Calapari... Shady.
March 19, 200719 yr :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: I'm glad you are happy with back to back 8 seeds, and back to back 12+ loss seasons. Some of us have to draw the line and maintain some kind of standards.
March 19, 200719 yr Author I'm glad you are happy with back to back 8 seeds, and back to back 12+ loss seasons. Some of us have to draw the line and maintain some kind of standards. As this thread clearly states, just because someone is not of the opinion that Tubby should be fired, it doesn't mean they are happy with the results of the past couple of years. I'm sure Kentucky fans across the state jumped for joy when the Cats lost to Kansas today.. Second round exits excite the masses.
March 19, 200719 yr As this thread clearly states, just because someone is not of the opinion that Tubby should be fired, it doesn't mean they are happy with the results of the past couple of years. I'm sure Kentucky fans across the state jumped for joy when the Cats lost to Kansas today.. Second round exits excite the masses. Anyone who doesn't believe we need major change, obviously doesn't watch basketball. All I have ever said is we must put a better product on the floor. Again, outside of Morris, nobody on UK would have had any serious PT for Kansas today.
March 19, 200719 yr Author Anyone who doesn't believe we need major change, obviously doesn't watch basketball. All I have ever said is we must put a better product on the floor. Again, outside of Morris, nobody on UK would have had any serious PT for Kansas today. The day Donovan or Calapari even consider coming to UK, you can serve me all the crow you want. Billy Gillespie is the absolute only coach that I could consider an upgrade from Tubby that I think would even consider coming to UK, and I think the maniacal expectations would scare him away.
March 19, 200719 yr Apparently, "Tubby Bashers" have somehow managed to decide for me that since I do not believe Tubby Smith should be fired, that I am somehow supportive of mediocrity and happy where the program is. Congratulations on being wrong. Do I think UK should be an 8 seed year after year? Absolutely not. I'd love to see them winning championships year after and dominating the field. UK has missed the boat on numerous recruits and are majorly suffering as a result of it. It's been true the entire time, no use reminding people of it every day. But while I'm not happy with the way the program is right now, I understand that there's a right way to handle it, and a wrong way to handle it. To me, the right way is giving Tubby a chance to right the ship that he's captained the wrong direction out at sea, and if given a couple of seasons he cannot, then you cut ties. What I think is the wrong way is posting all over message boards the lofty expectations of the UK basketball program, how Tubby is not living up to them, how he should not have a job next season, and the constant ripping of the player's on the team who actually do care anything at all about the program. What does this help? What does ESPN focusing on maniacal UK fans who want Tubby gone after 2 seasons that would've been considered great for 99% of other schools help? Please tell me, I'm dying to know. Even if ESPN does fuel the fire by making more out of it than there is (and I could definitely argue you that I haven't seen them paint things in too unfair of a light) recruits can only take it the way they spin it. Why would they want to come here? Why would a new coach want to come here if Tubby leaves? The way UK fans as a whole are being portrayed due to a select few is doing absolutely no good to help the program. Nothing that happens at this point is going to make people happy... I don't see any coach that UK actually has a realistic shot of getting being able to do anything more than Tubby Smith is doing, and that's not a bias... It's just a fact. But just because I don't think Tubby should be fired, don't assume that I am happy with the UK basketball team... Nothing could be further from the truth. It almost sounds like you are blaming the last 2 failed seasons on Tubby Bashers. The program has declined it obvious and a change MUSt occur. The part of your post that I have bolded is a complete stretch if you ask me. Thats the problem with this team they are selfish and dont care about the program.
March 19, 200719 yr I agree with your first and last comment Hangman. When I was dating, I would go out with some real lookers. After a few dates, I could see why they weren't married and their warts so-to-speak became magnified on each date. Did that make me a bad evaluator of beauty? I don't think so. I just think Tubby has been stuck with some players that looked good from a distance only to be a team of butter faces at the end of the day.
March 19, 200719 yr Author It almost sounds like you are blaming the last 2 failed seasons on Tubby Bashers. The program has declined it obvious and a change MUSt occur. The part of your post that I have bolded is a complete stretch if you ask me. Thats the problem with this team they are selfish and dont care about the program. I'm not blaming the last 2 seasons on anybody... That's laughable. The team has been bad, I can see. What I AM saying is that the national media is keeping a very close eye on what's going on with this situation, and every story ESPN covers about Tubby's job security does nothing to help? Agree? You should. Coaches are seeing what we're doing to a guy coaching the team to 20 wins year after year after year and I would bet anything that any coach who does eventually replace Tubby is going to keep that in his memory, and it will definitely be a factor when deciding whether or not to take the job... And the recruits that are considering UK have made it clear that without Tubby they don't come. They're seeing this, and being scared away... It's simple fact. As for the selfish players who don't care... You've just picked the wrong part to try to pick apart. Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas never received anything but negative comments from most of the fanbase... They are not selfish and they knew their roles well. I was talking about certain players, not the team as a whole... I've ripped Crawford and Morris for having no heart on multiple occasions.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.