Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Russell Repeats in the 16th

Featured Replies

I'm getting into this rather late but I do have a knowledge of the region that extends past the limited period cited by most of you.

 

Sydenstricker is the finest scorer to ever play at Russell. Marvin recruited him from Huntington and he didn't play his enire career at Russell. Not a material fact but still of interest. VanHoose plays in a completely different era. Basketball players are much more athletic than they were in the 1950s. Any top five is in the eyes of the beholder. However, both Sydenstricker and VanHoose must be on any list of Russell's best.

 

Someone named Ashland's top five. It was about as authoritative as was the all-time AIT team picked a year or two ago by a rather biased group of recent Ashland supporters. Very poor. Ashland's all-time greats could never be limited to five or even ten. The list would have to include Larry Conley, Harold Sergent, George Carroll, Jerry Henderson, Earl Adkins (Ashland's only Mr. Basketball), and a goodly number of others who played when the tradition was really built (which was clearly before the school left Lexington Avenue).

 

Skaggs was an outstanding basketball player. But, all in all, the best player to ever play in this area, without a doubt, was O.J. Mayo. I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread but some facts should transcend personal biases, loyalties, and colored glasses.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No repeat for Russell! Look for Elliott or Ashland to head west on 64 to Rupp.

I'm getting into this rather late but I do have a knowledge of the region that extends past the limited period cited by most of you.

 

Sydenstricker is the finest scorer to ever play at Russell. Marvin recruited him from Huntington and he didn't play his enire career at Russell. Not a material fact but still of interest. VanHoose plays in a completely different era. Basketball players are much more athletic than they were in the 1950s. Any top five is in the eyes of the beholder. However, both Sydenstricker and VanHoose must be on any list of Russell's best.

 

Someone named Ashland's top five. It was about as authoritative as was the all-time AIT team picked a year or two ago by a rather biased group of recent Ashland supporters. Very poor. Ashland's all-time greats could never be limited to five or even ten. The list would have to include Larry Conley, Harold Sergent, George Carroll, Jerry Henderson, Earl Adkins (Ashland's only Mr. Basketball), and a goodly number of others who played when the tradition was really built (which was clearly before the school left Lexington Avenue).

 

Skaggs was an outstanding basketball player. But, all in all, the best player to ever play in this area, without a doubt, was O.J. Mayo. I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread but some facts should transcend personal biases, loyalties, and colored glasses.

 

Just to clear the air, I never said that Skaggs was the best to come out of this area, I was just using him to compare and contrast things, and I do believe that Vanhoose is a very good player, top ten at Russell but not my top five. My comments are not a slam to Jon Vanhoose like some have taken it to be-comparing him to Robert Harris was an inside joke between me and DinoRadja. I will say this that you are correct about Ashland and maybe Russell also that there are so many great players to come out of these schools that it would be hard to limit it to a Top Five only.

One I made my list of local players I did not go beyond the early to mid 70's, and mentioned that there were several from earlier teams that I would have listed as well if I had went back that far. Just wanted to make that clear as possible for some that may be confused.

And as far as who is the best to have played in this area I don't think that there is a clear choice above all others, especially since the game is so different now and society is so different as well. There was a time when it was unusual to have 19 year olds playing in high school, now it is the norm. Two of the more celebrated players locally will be 20 before their first college game, how impressive that they dominate much younger opponents each night.

Without Vanhoose, Russell is an average team. Elliott goes to Rupp.

 

Your right it will one of those Lions.

Without Vanhoose, Russell is an average team. Elliott goes to Rupp.

This very well could be a true statement. Because the loss of Vanhoose only brought Russell down to a level playing field with the rest of the region. But I still think Russells defense played a bigger part than Vanhoose himself. Only time will tell.

Without Vanhoose, Russell is an average team. Elliott goes to Rupp.

Even without VanHoose, Russell is still way above an average team in the 16th region.

Russell does have an excellent defense but you still have to score more than the other team to win & this will be where they hit the wall against a good team. The 3 factors to play into this are:

1.the offensive system doesn't allow for much scoring

2.no one or two players to take control in the 4th Quarter against a good team as Vanhoose does

3.simply put "No Vanhoose"

And as far as who is the best to have played in this area I don't think that there is a clear choice above all others, especially since the game is so different now and society is so different as well. There was a time when it was unusual to have 19 year olds playing in high school, now it is the norm. Two of the more celebrated players locally will be 20 before their first college game, how impressive that they dominate much younger opponents each night.

Who will be 20?

Now if someone could only tie your hands up. :D :laugh: :lol:

 

Since my hands have been tied, it has allowed me to do a lot of thinking which is always a little bit scary. Here is my prediction about Russell Boys even without the almighty Hoose Caboose.

 

Here goes, UKCATSFAN, if Russell can manage not to get any "T's", for say like, wrong score book or something that is a simple mistake or might have been overlooked. Lets just say if Russell can play most of the game and not go into the 4th quarter being "T" then they might have a chance of winning. I would hate to think that there is a conspiracy to sabotage the Russell Boys, but who in their right mind would do such a thing? Answer: Only those with a grudge or bitterness. So having typed all of that, my life partner untied me by the way so now I can type, anyways I was wondering if you (UKCATSFAN) know anything about the "T" Russell was assessed the other night prior to the game?

Gill proved he can score too if given the opportunities. I heard that his vertical is very impressive. The best leaper hands down that I have ever seen is Doug Smith...guessing probably in the mid 40's (inches not his age). He played Volleyball at Ashland from around 75-78 in that era, never played basketball at Ashland, had a brother that played from 83-85 named David Smith. Anyways I personally witnessed Doug hang on the bottom of the jogging track one night at the YMCA back in the early 80's. I heard Gill can fly as well. Best dunkers and leapers now thats a thread to start, go ahead Dinoradja and start one and no reminiscing about dunks at Dreamland swimming pool......

Who will be 20?

 

I will not say the players names because all that will do is start a HUGE backlash that I do not feel like dealing with. But myself and others on this thread now exactly who they are and I can assure you that they are very popular athletes.

geesh, don't take it so personally. It's a little thing called sarcasm.

 

It one thing to kid around with programs, coaches, and fellow BGPers but it's another to talk sarcastically about the kids.

Since my hands have been tied, it has allowed me to do a lot of thinking which is always a little bit scary. Here is my prediction about Russell Boys even without the almighty Hoose Caboose.

 

Here goes, UKCATSFAN, if Russell can manage not to get any "T's", for say like, wrong score book or something that is a simple mistake or might have been overlooked. Lets just say if Russell can play most of the game and not go into the 4th quarter being "T" then they might have a chance of winning. I would hate to think that there is a conspiracy to sabotage the Russell Boys, but who in their right mind would do such a thing? Answer: Only those with a grudge or bitterness. So having typed all of that, my life partner untied me by the way so now I can type, anyways I was wondering if you (UKCATSFAN) know anything about the "T" Russell was assessed the other night prior to the game?

 

 

Grow up Bubba. You just love those cheap shots, don't ya. You show your character in every post you write. You have no idea what you are talking about nor do you know what happened. Your post obviously shows that and if your going to call me out on something, I'd advise you to know what you're talking about. Get your facts straight. You're clueless as to what happened.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.