Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Russell Repeats in the 16th

Featured Replies

  • Author
Nothing against Jonathan but I have to agree with Big Bubba on this one. I can name several that were better than Vanhoose from this area, school by school. Here is a short list:

 

Ashland Fairview

1. Marty Thomas 1. Jeff Hall

2. Chuck Cantrell 2. Clarence Thompson

3. Mark Surgalski (I may have spelled that wrong) 3. Don Rigsby

4. Jerry Johnson

 

Boyd County Russell

1. Frank Lee 1.Chris Jones

2. Tyler Zornes 2. Mickey Sydenstricker

3. Jason Goad 3. Ryan Watkins

4. Kent Sisler 4. Roberts

5. Kevin Mullins 5. Hensley

 

Greenup County Holy Family

1. Steve Skaggs 1. Art McCullough

2. Mike Scott 2. David Layne

 

Like I said, this is a quick list and not going back too far in region history, clearly Larry Conley, Harold Sargent and some others from the Ashland championship team would be ahead of Jonathan as well. And I want to make myself as clear as possible; this is no knock at this young man's career. He had a great run and this year he was most likely the best player in the region.

But there is noway that he is top five all time in 16th region history.

 

 

Of the list you named, I've played with most and have seen most of the rest play. I would say Skaggs, Hall are clearly better. A couple of others would give him a run for his money (Cantrell, Thomas, Lee). But you lost a ton of credibility, IMO, when you suggest Lane, Sisler, or Mullins are in Jon's league. They were good players, but they weren't great Regional All Timers.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sisler was an outstanding player and athlete. He was athletically head and shoulders above Jonathan and played D1 as well. Layne was a great point guard and Mullins was a great player when the region was much better and deeper as a whole. At that time Ashland, Russell and Greenup were all 4A, Russell 3A and teams were never in such a state as to have to play such young players as you see now. It was very unusual to see a ninth grader play, let alone 7th and 8th graders. Maybe I am not 100% right on my list but I would feel comfortable giving myself at least a score of 90% on it.

Of the list you named, I've played with most and have seen most of the rest play. I would say Skaggs, Hall are clearly better. A couple of others would give him a run for his money (Cantrell, Thomas, Lee). But you lost a ton of credibility, IMO, when you suggest Lane, Sisler, or Mullins are in Jon's league. They were good players, but they weren't great Regional All Timers.

 

 

I agree. No way that Layne, Sisler or Mullins were better players than VanHoose.

Sisler was an outstanding player and athlete. He was athletically head and shoulders above Jonathan and played D1 as well. Layne was a great point guard and Mullins was a great player when the region was much better and deeper as a whole. At that time Ashland, Russell and Greenup were all 4A, Russell 3A and teams were never in such a state as to have to play such young players as you see now. It was very unusual to see a ninth grader play, let alone 7th and 8th graders. Maybe I am not 100% right on my list but I would feel comfortable giving myself at least a score of 90% on it.

 

 

 

Sisler wasn't even the best player on the Boyd Co. teams from the early 80's. I certainly don't remember Sisler playing DI ball. Where did he play college ball?

Well, I saw Sisler light up Georgetown and they won a national championship and I would feel pretty comfortable saying that Jonathan would have had a very hard time scoring on the Hoya's at that time. Once again, please don't take my posts as trashing him, far from my intent. But there is no way on this earth that he is top five in this regions history, not even in the last 20 years.

He played for St. Joseph, and he was the best player on those Boyd County teams, he graduated in 1981 if I am not wrong.

I think you have your Devil's glasses on. I feel bad for Vanhoose, but Russell is hurting in the region tourney without him. I do think he would be considered one of Russell's top all-time players, considering that he is their all-time leading scorer and also since he signed a D1 scholarship.

 

 

I don't think that's an "glasses on" accessment. Jonathan will definately be missed and with him I don't think anyone could touch Russell. But without him it brings Russell back to the rest of the pack. And while most people don't consider them the odds-on favorite now, the can still win it. It brings them down to everyone level now. I'm not saying that they couldn't have been beat with Vanhoose because I know they could have. (Ashland has a very good team with Wilcox, Thomas, and McDavid and they can beat anybody on any night). Russell has the seniors and the athletes to get it done this year and most of all, they play great defense and that goes a long way in the regional. I'm not saying they're going to win it but it would be very foolish to think that they CAN NOT win it without Vanhoose because I know they can. That is not a bias opinion and I'm not looking through "Maroon Glasses", it's the truth. You may not think they WILL but to think that they CAN'T is foolish.

What? Are you serious. Vanhoose is probably the best player to come out of Russell. Some may say Chris Jones in the late 80's but I saw Jones play and I'd go with Jonathan. I think he's one of the best ever to come out of the region. I never said THE best but he's one of the best. I'd say he's in the top 15 players in region history. Vanhoose and Owens are un-comparable. Owens was at Boyd for 1 year so most people wouldn't even consider him as a Boyd product.

You don't even know what the draw is and you're saying Russell will be lucky to win 2 games. That's a little immature thinking if you ask me. Russell still has a many offensive options and any of them are very capable of leading the team in scoring. I don't guess you were at Russell's game last night, right? I didn't think so. The fact that they do play great defense gets overlooked sometimes with Russell but it's something the team takes pride in doing. So, go ahead and count Russell out. You may be the only one who does because anyone who knows this Russell team knows they are very capable.

 

 

You are on the borderline of puerility to think I was downing Russell because I said they would be lucky to win two games. Your hebetude over looks the fact that I was complimenting just how talented Vanhoose is and how much he means to the Russell team. You make Vanhoose out to be a conservator of the region, I simply do not. We have a difference of opinion. Like I posted earlier give my Russell top five all-time an extra year to play for 2 of them and 2 extra years for 3 of them and see what more they would have accomplished. Think about Skaggs for just a minute, when he was 19 he was a Sophomore in College, gee wonder what 2 extra years of age would have meant to him in this region. Comparing Vanhoose to any of the top five of Russell or to Jeff Hall and Steve Skaggs is like comparing G.W. Bush to a Rocket Scientist. I will tip my hat off to Hoose's dad for holding him back, great move my man.

I agree, Russell is still a very big threat to return to Rupp. With Blair, Gill, Frazier and Robinson they still have some very good players. Anyone that overlooks the Devils may be going home.

I don't think that's an "glasses on" accessment. Jonathan will definately be missed and with him I don't think anyone could touch Russell. But without him it brings Russell back to the rest of the pack. And while most people don't consider them the odds-on favorite now, the can still win it. It brings them down to everyone level now. I'm not saying that they couldn't have been beat with Vanhoose because I know they could have. (Ashland has a very good team with Wilcox, Thomas, and McDavid and they can beat anybody on any night). Russell has the seniors and the athletes to get it done this year and most of all, they play great defense and that goes a long way in the regional. I'm not saying they're going to win it but it would be very foolish to think that they CAN NOT win it without Vanhoose because I know they can. That is not a bias opinion and I'm not looking through "Maroon Glasses", it's the truth. You may not think they WILL but to think that they CAN'T is foolish.

 

How many points did they score last year at Rupp with Vanhoose????

  • Author
How many points did they score last year at Rupp with Vanhoose????

 

Of the 5 from Russell you named ahead of Jon, how many were able to lead their team to Rupp?

Of the 5 from Russell you named ahead of Jon, how many were able to lead their team to Rupp?

 

There is no comparing the region of now to the region back then. Much weaker now and watered down. Oh, Jeff Tipton of Ashland was better, I forgot to mention him.

Of the 5 from Russell you named ahead of Jon, how many were able to lead their team to Rupp?

 

I know that Hensley went in 72. I am not sure about about Sydnestricker and Roberts, but I agree with DinoRadja, the level of play is not anywhere near the same as it was when those guys played. The five I mentioned would have dominated this watered down, not even close in talent wise region that these kids are playing in today.

 

You seem like a Russell History major, so how many of my top five went to state? You and many others from Ashland has went to Russell and I have seen many from Russell become Ashlanders. Wonder why that it is? Ashland has often been called Russell East, no wonder you are a perfect fit

He played for St. Joseph, and he was the best player on those Boyd County teams, he graduated in 1981 if I am not wrong.

 

 

 

I just checked with my cousin Brock who played on those Boyd Co. teams, and I mistook Kent Sisler with his younger brother that graduated with Brock. He also stated that Kent played for St. Francis (Pa), not St. Joseph.

Dude you shouldnt have revealed who you are, everyone knows Brock.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.