Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Russell Repeats in the 16th

Featured Replies

Jon VanHoose was IMO one of the best players in 16th Region history yet without him, Russell still has a chance to repeat as champs. It's not because they can replace Jon's points, it's because their coach constantly preaches defense. While most teams celebrate during the game after good plays, Russell's coach will not allow one relaxing moment as he is constantly "in their face" to be in the proper stance, arms extended, and "move your feet". That's one reason through 30 games they've allowed just under 50 points per game and lead the Region in that category. Fortunately for Russell, they have a bunch of 6'3" ish athletes with long arms that get after people.

A-Rob may be the best all around "steal guy" in the Region, Gill may be the best defender of the other team's go-to-guy with his size, hops, and speed, Blair is the strongest guard in the Region, Ferguson comes off the bench with a wingspan that bothers people and Turner loves to take a charge. If Russell plays defense like their capable, IMO, they repeat as champs.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon VanHoose was IMO one of the best players in 16th Region history yet without him, Russell still has a chance to repeat as champs. It's not because they can replace Jon's points, it's because their coach constantly preaches defense. While most teams celebrate during the game after good plays, Russell's coach will not allow one relaxing moment as he is constantly "in their face" to be in the proper stance, arms extended, and "move your feet". That's one reason through 30 games they've allowed just under 50 points per game and lead the Region in that category. Fortunately for Russell, they have a bunch of 6'3" ish athletes with long arms that get after people.

A-Rob may be the best all around "steal guy" in the Region, Gill may be the best defender of the other team's go-to-guy with his size, hops, and speed, Blair is the strongest guard in the Region, Ferguson comes off the bench with a wingspan that bothers people and Turner loves to take a charge. If Russell plays defense like their capable, IMO, they repeat as champs.

 

I dont think people are marking Russell off their list yet.:thumb:

Jon VanHoose was IMO one of the best players in 16th Region history yet without him, Russell still has a chance to repeat as champs. It's not because they can replace Jon's points, it's because their coach constantly preaches defense. While most teams celebrate during the game after good plays, Russell's coach will not allow one relaxing moment as he is constantly "in their face" to be in the proper stance, arms extended, and "move your feet". That's one reason through 30 games they've allowed just under 50 points per game and lead the Region in that category. Fortunately for Russell, they have a bunch of 6'3" ish athletes with long arms that get after people.

A-Rob may be the best all around "steal guy" in the Region, Gill may be the best defender of the other team's go-to-guy with his size, hops, and speed, Blair is the strongest guard in the Region, Ferguson comes off the bench with a wingspan that bothers people and Turner loves to take a charge. If Russell plays defense like their capable, IMO, they repeat as champs.

 

He might be one of the best (Top Five) since the year 2000 -2007 but give me a break, to say he is one of the best to ever play is a far stretch. He is not even in the all time great five to play at Russell much less the region. Russell will be lucky to win two games without him. I am not criticizing Vanhoose, he has been great in his years that he has played. Thats like Owens last year from Boyd County, He was great no doubt about it, but he is not in Boyd's top five from all time either. I give credit to Hoose but get real.

Defense is wonderful but if you cant put the ball through that little orange cylinder then it doesnt matter how much D you play

  • Author
He might be one of the best (Top Five) since the year 2000 -2007 but give me a break, to say he is one of the best to ever play is a far stretch. He is not even in the all time great five to play at Russell much less the region. Russell will be lucky to win two games without him. I am not criticizing Vanhoose, he has been great in his years that he has played. Thats like Owens last year from Boyd County, He was great no doubt about it, but he is not in Boyd's top five from all time either. I give credit to Hoose but get real.

Defense is wonderful but if you cant put the ball through that little orange cylinder then it doesnt matter how much D you play

 

 

How can VanHoose not be one of Russell's all time greats when he's their leading scorer in history. I'm an Ashland grad from mid 70's and follow HS basketball and the 16th Region pretty close and I can't think of 5 better (maybe a few as good) than him since then. Before then but still in the not to distant past, I'd give you Hall from Fairview and maybe Skaggs from Greenup Co but I can't think of many more.

I've even changed my avatar to help "Doddy's Diaper Dandies" hold things together in Morehead, sans Vanhoose.:thumb: :walk: :fire:

 

Devils still match up alright playing man against Elliott, if both teams advance.;)

Jon VanHoose was IMO one of the best players in 16th Region history yet without him, Russell still has a chance to repeat as champs. It's not because they can replace Jon's points, it's because their coach constantly preaches defense. While most teams celebrate during the game after good plays, Russell's coach will not allow one relaxing moment as he is constantly "in their face" to be in the proper stance, arms extended, and "move your feet". That's one reason through 30 games they've allowed just under 50 points per game and lead the Region in that category. Fortunately for Russell, they have a bunch of 6'3" ish athletes with long arms that get after people.

A-Rob may be the best all around "steal guy" in the Region, Gill may be the best defender of the other team's go-to-guy with his size, hops, and speed, Blair is the strongest guard in the Region, Ferguson comes off the bench with a wingspan that bothers people and Turner loves to take a charge. If Russell plays defense like their capable, IMO, they repeat as champs.

 

I think you have your Devil's glasses on. I feel bad for Vanhoose, but Russell is hurting in the region tourney without him. I do think he would be considered one of Russell's top all-time players, considering that he is their all-time leading scorer and also since he signed a D1 scholarship.

How can VanHoose not be one of Russell's all time greats when he's their leading scorer in history. I'm an Ashland grad from mid 70's and follow HS basketball and the 16th Region pretty close and I can't think of 5 better (maybe a few as good) than him since then. Before then but still in the not to distant past, I'd give you Hall from Fairview and maybe Skaggs from Greenup Co but I can't think of many more.

 

Its my OPINION,

Russell Top Five IMO

1. Sydnstricker (D1)

2. Rick Hensley (D1)

3. Tom Roberts (D1)

4. John Watkins (Union College Baseball-Check out his scoring His Senior Year)

5. Chris Jones (Walked on at UK but had offers from Alabama, LSU)

 

Vanhoose is the best to play at Russell since the Chris Jones Era that is for sure. But if you think he rates up there with Skaggs then you have serious basketball IQ. Go and personally ask Vanhoose how well he plays against Skaggs in the summers at the Pool, Skaggs is what 51 years old and still whipping the young guns. To compare him to Skaggs or Hall is just ludicrous.

I want to make something very clear....I believe Vanhoose is a great player and I wish him the best. He is a hard worker and will improve his game even more at Evansville. My opinions about Russell's Top Five is not a slam in no way to Vanhoose's ability to play the game.

 

Now having said all that, I still dont think he could score against his dad the human chain saw.

  • Author
Its my OPINION,

Russell Top Five IMO

1. Sydnstricker (D1)

2. Rick Hensley (D1)

3. Tom Roberts (D1)

4. John Watkins (Union College Baseball-Check out his scoring His Senior Year)

5. Chris Jones (Walked on at UK but had offers from Alabama, LSU)

 

Vanhoose is the best to play at Russell since the Chris Jones Era that is for sure. But if you think he rates up there with Skaggs then you have serious basketball IQ. Go and personall ask Vanhoose how well he plays against Skaggs in the summers at the Pool, Skaggs is what 51 years old and still whipping the young guns. To compare him to Skaggs or Hall is just ludicrous.

 

I've played at the pool & the Y with Skaggs for years and I've played at the Y with VanHoose many times as well. Skaggs is definitely a better all around player than VanHoose (now and back in High School) and is a Top 5 Regional player of all time. That being said, I would put VanHoose up against any of the 5 you named from Russell. And speaking of basketball IQ, the fact that you don't think VanHoose is one of Russell's 5 best all timers when he's the leading scorer in their history, tells me that you wouldn't make the all timer's list for posters on BGP.

I've played at the pool & the Y with Skaggs for years and I've played at the Y with VanHoose many times as well. Skaggs is definitely a better all around player than VanHoose (now and back in High School) and is a Top 5 Regional player of all time. That being said, I would put VanHoose up against any of the 5 you named from Russell. And speaking of basketball IQ, the fact that you don't think VanHoose is one of Russell's 5 best all timers when he's the leading scorer in their history, tells me that you wouldn't make the all timer's list for posters on BGP.

 

I wonder what most of those players at Russell would have done if they were 19 years old their Senior Year?

 

3 of those top five I named were only 17 when they graduated. All - time leading scorer at any school in this region doesnt impress me much considering how watered down the region has been the last 25 years.

Okay, right. Lets see Mickey Sydenstricker and John Watkins would have out muscled and jumped over him all night long. Tom Roberts was 6'8 and a scoring and rebounding machine. Rick Hensley was a top five POINT GUARD ever to play in this region, and Chris Jones was in a league of his own. Once again I am not bashing Hoose, but because he is the leading scorer in Russell history doesnt make him better than those guys.

You might as well say that McDavid (2nd on the scoring list at Fabled Ashland your Alma Mater) should be in the regions all time five players as well. Give me a break.

Remember, the points that VanHoose scored include the three point shot......the guys you mentioned had nice jump shots and they took lots of them, only counted two points....

He might be one of the best (Top Five) since the year 2000 -2007 but give me a break, to say he is one of the best to ever play is a far stretch. He is not even in the all time great five to play at Russell much less the region. Russell will be lucky to win two games without him. I am not criticizing Vanhoose, he has been great in his years that he has played. Thats like Owens last year from Boyd County, He was great no doubt about it, but he is not in Boyd's top five from all time either. I give credit to Hoose but get real.

Defense is wonderful but if you cant put the ball through that little orange cylinder then it doesnt matter how much D you play

 

 

What? Are you serious. Vanhoose is probably the best player to come out of Russell. Some may say Chris Jones in the late 80's but I saw Jones play and I'd go with Jonathan. I think he's one of the best ever to come out of the region. I never said THE best but he's one of the best. I'd say he's in the top 15 players in region history. Vanhoose and Owens are un-comparable. Owens was at Boyd for 1 year so most people wouldn't even consider him as a Boyd product.

You don't even know what the draw is and you're saying Russell will be lucky to win 2 games. That's a little immature thinking if you ask me. Russell still has a many offensive options and any of them are very capable of leading the team in scoring. I don't guess you were at Russell's game last night, right? I didn't think so. The fact that they do play great defense gets overlooked sometimes with Russell but it's something the team takes pride in doing. So, go ahead and count Russell out. You may be the only one who does because anyone who knows this Russell team knows they are very capable.

Nothing against Jonathan but I have to agree with Big Bubba on this one. I can name several that were better than Vanhoose from this area, school by school. Here is a short list:

 

Ashland

1. Marty Thomas

2. Chuck Cantrell

3. Mark Surgalski (I may have spelled that wrong)

4. Jerry Johnson

 

Fairview

1. Jeff Hall

2. Clarence Thompson

3. Don Rigsby

 

Boyd Co.

1. Frank Lee

2. Tyler Zornes

3. Sisler

4. Kevin Mullins

5. Jason Goad

 

Russell

1. Jones

2. Ryan Watkins

3. Mickey Syndenstricker

4. Roberts

5. Hensley

 

 

 

Greenup County Holy Family

1. Steve Skaggs 1. Art McCullough

2. Mike Scott 2. David Layne

 

Like I said, this is a quick list and not going back too far in region history, clearly Larry Conley, Harold Sargent and some others from the Ashland championship team would be ahead of Jonathan as well. And I want to make myself as clear as possible; this is no knock at this young man's career. He had a great run and this year he was most likely the best player in the region.

But there is noway that he is top five all time in 16th region history.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.