2007 Newport

theguru

1. Find some offense to go with the defense. The offense wasn't that great last year and a large chunk of it graduated with Hesch. Of course, the year before that the offense was great and they couldn't stop anyone.

2. Quit having "hole" classes that lack in numbers and talent. Good programs consistently have decent to good classes every year.

3. Improve the schedule. Now in a district with no worries about making the playoffs, the schedule needs to improve drastically. Way, way behind NCC's, schedule.

4. Special teams improvement in the kicking game. Don't want to be losing the field position game to NCC and Holy Cross.

• 3 months later...

I think Newports offense will be some better they will get better as the year goes,

Newport had over 60 kids come out for the first practice I would think they could find some talent, if they hang around.

there schedule has improved a little they will play (scrimmage) ludlow,conner.the season Whitley co.,lloyd,ncc,hc,bishop brossart,scott,dayton,simon kenton,ryle,bellevue but not in this order.

From what i hear it will be senior Tommy Wilson. He was Hesch's back up when Hesch was a junior. However i have also hears there is a freshman coming in from the middle school who is absolutely sick. So who knows at this point.

From what i hear it will be senior Tommy Wilson. He was Hesch's back up when Hesch was a junior. However i have also hears there is a freshman coming in from the middle school who is absolutely sick. So who knows at this point.

The youngster coming in has a lot of potential. He was very, very skinny when I saw him last year. However, he could really throw. I'd be surprised to see him in the varsity backfield early in the season. If things don't go well, I would not be surprised to see him get a snap or two.

I went down to check out Newport the other day and yes they had over 60 players show. Nice numbers, but how many will stick it out. Sure it would be nice to see all of them but we all know that reality is that several of them won't. As far as Tommy Wilson, good kid and a hard worker I'm sure he'll do just fine as the QB. Now as far as Brewer, the big question for this kid is -- has he mature -- I was told he quit the team during the season and he also quit the basketball team -- will he do it again? Let's hope he has mature. The incoming freshman does have a good arm but IMO he's not ready for the prime time.

Einstein who is going to take on the role of QB for the Wildcats with Hesch's departure

I also here that it may be Tommy Wilson,I woudn't rule out Brewer as the QB I dont think right now the freshmen has a chance to start.

I know we played Newport in '90 and '91, they were still AAA then, I could be wrong but I believe '91 may have been their last year in that district.

I cant remember when they dropped down to AA but Im pretty sure as of the mid to latter part of the 90's the freshman team played against AAA and AAAA schools because I know one year they went undefeated and beat teams like Ryle and CCH that year.

I coached against that bunch of frosh, that would have been Partin's freshman year. They had less than 20 kids but from my 5 years of coaching at the freshman level they were by far the nastiest bunch I witnessed. We had a good team that year, they beat us, knocked three of our boys out of the game and sent one to the hospital, all legally. The went on to have very good success under Roy Lucas Sr.