Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

14th Region split session

Featured Replies

Wasn't there a huge fight last time Powell hosted ?

Sure was. My only complaint there is that the fans set right on the floor with no barrier and the cops over reacted. Actually, not real police, mostly deputies who just work ball games and school security. Don't want to give real police a bad rap!

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a fight with Breathitt in the semi-final. The seating is right on the floor and there were many police in the gymnasium, but noone was predicting a fight in that game. Anyway, lets get off this subject, this happened a few years back and its in the past now. Powell has a very nice facility, plenty of parking and seating. I have to go with the professors proposals, very nicely put and well thought out, i might add. PCC, Knott, Powell, and Breathitt are the largest gym's in the region. Driving distances shouldnt cause conflict.

They should have left the regional sites alone...Breathitt, Perry Central, Hazard and Knott County...no one else should be included.

As a 14th region fan, I have to agree with 5wide on this one. I know it may not be fair to the teams furthest out in this region, such as jenkins on one end and powell/estill on the other. But these 4 sites are more centrally located and will make it better not just on the teams. But for the fans that have to travel that distance. You can't say that more powell county fans woudn't go if it was at breathitt or perry or knott as if it were at jenkins or letcher another 45 minutes away from the others. Makes more sense to have the tourney in the most central location possible. Because we all know it's all about money in these kinds of things. The more people come the better for everyone. I did not attend the region when it was at powell, nor did i attend the girls region when it was at jenkins because it was just too far to travel. The road there might not as been too bad, but after the game and the long road home just didn't seem like a good idea, so I as well as others just stayed at home and listened to it on the radio. I still think the most central Knott, Perry, Breathitt should be the only ones that host! Just my opinion from a fan perspective, I know others have theirs too.

Handstamp

 

I agree with this. Charge $5 per game, but if you want tickets for both games, you can pay $7 and get your hand stamped. When they clear the gym, show your stamped hand and get back in with no trouble. With no stamp, pay $5 more dollars. Might be confusing at first, but you'd get more people who would pay $7, but don't want the hassle of paying twice.

They should have left the regional sites alone...Breathitt, Perry Central, Hazard and Knott County...no one else should be included.

You'd include Hazard over Powell County when Powell's gym seats 1000 more than Hazard's.:confused:

 

Plus, I suppose 3 of the region's districts should be included....but the 56th doesn't matter.:rolleyes:

That is correct. The 13th has been doing this for years. It is NOT a problem. It is a little inconvenient to exit, and then re-enter, but not that big of a deal. This allows the fans from all 4 schools in the semi's to attend. Otherwise, the fans from the first crowd have most of the good seats and their teams games are finished. As for only having it at only 1 or 2 schools in a region, thats just simply not fair. The KHSAA will only allow schools of a certain size to host a regional tourney. They move it from district to district withing a region for fairness. Plus it would not be a fair tournament if 2 or 3 schools had the home court advantage every year. Rotating is the best possible way to have parity.

That is correct. The 13th has been doing this for years. It is NOT a problem. It is a little inconvenient to exit, and then re-enter, but not that big of a deal. This allows the fans from all 4 schools in the semi's to attend. Otherwise, the fans from the first crowd have most of the good seats and their teams games are finished. As for only having it at only 1 or 2 schools in a region, thats just simply not fair. The KHSAA will only allow schools of a certain size to host a regional tourney. They move it from district to district withing a region for fairness. Plus it would not be a fair tournament if 2 or 3 schools had the home court advantage every year. Rotating is the best possible way to have parity.

So go watch the first game also so you can have a good seat. Split sessions are a bad deal, especially at schools that have no parking such as Hazard. There you will have to go stand in perhaps freezing weather and wait on a game to end.

As a 14th region fan, I have to agree with 5wide on this one. I know it may not be fair to the teams furthest out in this region, such as jenkins on one end and powell/estill on the other. But these 4 sites are more centrally located and will make it better not just on the teams. But for the fans that have to travel that distance. You can't say that more powell county fans woudn't go if it was at breathitt or perry or knott as if it were at jenkins or letcher another 45 minutes away from the others. Makes more sense to have the tourney in the most central location possible. Because we all know it's all about money in these kinds of things. The more people come the better for everyone. I did not attend the region when it was at powell, nor did i attend the girls region when it was at jenkins because it was just too far to travel. The road there might not as been too bad, but after the game and the long road home just didn't seem like a good idea, so I as well as others just stayed at home and listened to it on the radio. I still think the most central Knott, Perry, Breathitt should be the only ones that host! Just my opinion from a fan perspective, I know others have theirs too.

 

Has anyone looked at the map here? Hazard and especially Hindman, is not anywhere near the center of the region. If central locality is the overriding issue, let Breathitt host it every year.

Has anyone looked at the map here? Hazard and especially Hindman, is not anywhere near the center of the region. If central locality is the overriding issue, let Breathitt host it every year.

If central location is the issue, I agree.

It bothers me when people keep saying that the regional tournament should always be held in the southern part of the region.

I have two proposals on this matter.

 

 

Proposal 1

 

In order to host a regional tournament a gym should be able to seat at least 3,500. In the 14th there are only four facilties that can do that: Knott Central, Perry Central, Breathitt County, and Powell County. Also, the ability to park and move vehicles in and out is important and should be part of the equation in deciding the host school.

 

 

Proposal 2

 

Have a four year rotation for the host site, based on the number of districts in the region, which of course is four. Then allow the schools within each district to decide where they want to host the tournament when it is their distict's turn in the rotation. The obvious choices would be:

53rd - Knott Central

54th - Perry Central

55th - Breathitt County

56th - Powell County

 

I think this would be fair to the fans and students, and every corner of the region would have a turn to host the tournament.

 

 

 

 

I dont know how someone would propose this to someone that could put it into action but Proposal 2 sounds as perfect and fair as it can get.

Hazard is awful because parking is just straight terrible and seating is a complete hassal. A team a couple of years back couldnt even watch the game before them at Hazard becasue the reserved seats were full of stubborn people who couldnt/wouldnt move. They were placed down stairs nad watchd the game in a room with not enough seats for everyone to sit down.

This way each distric gets an equal shot because despite county oppinion, home cooking is done everywhere. This way everyone gets a bite of some good country home cooking every couple of years and maybe gets a piece of the pie(Rupp) while their at it.

You'd include Hazard over Powell County when Powell's gym seats 1000 more than Hazard's.:confused:

 

Plus, I suppose 3 of the region's districts should be included....but the 56th doesn't matter.:rolleyes:

Powell County is second only to PCC as far as overall facilities go. KCC has excellent building, but parking is terrible. Hazard doesn't compare to either, and truth be told, Estill is better. What about Leslie County? Region was there a couple of times and I heard no complaints. And why is it a problem for folks in Hazard, Hindman and Whitesburg to travel to Stanton, but not for those of us in Beattyville, Booneville, Stanton and Irvine to go to Hazard, Hindman or Whitesburg? The region should be at Powell County once every four years.

Powell County is second only to PCC as far as overall facilities go. KCC has excellent building, but parking is terrible. Hazard doesn't compare to either, and truth be told, Estill is better. What about Leslie County? Region was there a couple of times and I heard no complaints. And why is it a problem for folks in Hazard, Hindman and Whitesburg to travel to Stanton, but not for those of us in Beattyville, Booneville, Stanton and Irvine to go to Hazard, Hindman or Whitesburg? The region should be at Powell County once every four years.

I don't recall the boys regional being at Leslie. I think it's too small. I think Perry is the best in terms of overall accomodations, etc. and Breathitt is next. Then I think Knott and Powell. I haven't been to LCC but it sounds small. I know that a lot of people go to watch their team only but I think just as many go as fans to watch the regional tournament, no matter who's playing. That's why I don't like split sessions. And like I said, a couple of years ago hundreds had to stand outside in the snow and wait for some folks to exit at Hazard so they could enter.

I don't recall the boys regional being at Leslie. I think it's too small. I think Perry is the best in terms of overall accomodations, etc. and Breathitt is next. Then I think Knott and Powell. I haven't been to LCC but it sounds small. I know that a lot of people go to watch their team only but I think just as many go as fans to watch the regional tournament, no matter who's playing. That's why I don't like split sessions. And like I said, a couple of years ago hundreds had to stand outside in the snow and wait fr some folks to exit at Hazard.

 

The boys region was at Leslie in 1985. But you're right, it was too small.

The 13th has split sessions every year.

 

So has the 9th, or at least until the new Bank of Kentucky Arena at NKU gets finished and even then, I have no problem with paying more money to see two games. In fact, I wish CovCath would empty out the gym after the Cov Holmes vs. Cov Holy Cross 1st round 35th District game so the CovCath, Beechwood fans could see their game without having to get to the CovCath gym prior to 5pm on Tuesday......

 

BTW "Lightning" whats the beef with only paying $10 to see two great HS basketball games? Been to a movie, ate at a restaurant, been to a ice cream store....The cost of entertainment is rising just like the cost of gas at the pump......I don't like it either, but the cost of putting on these events has to be increasing also, and somebody has to play for it......

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.