Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

College Basketball Evolution

Featured Replies

This X post from Coach Pitino got me thinking, what will college basketball evolve to in the near future?

rickpitino.jpg

  • Author

Also, from Google AI:

College basketball has evolved from simple beginnings (James Naismith, 1891) into a fast-paced, strategic game, marked by rule changes like the shot clock and 3-point line (late 80s), wider lanes (50s), and modern adjustments for player safety and flow (flopping rules, potential quarter use). The game's growth also saw the rise of tournaments (NIT, NCAA) and shifting power dynamics, moving beyond traditional "blue bloods" to include more diverse, successful programs. 

If the college guys can recruit from the NBA, could the college football guys do the same? Now that is a dangerous road to go down.

John Calipari did not pull any punches and what he said was 100% spot on.imo

  • Author
12 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

John Calipari did not pull any punches and what he said was 100% spot on.imo

From Google AI:

John Calipari, now the Arkansas basketball coach, recently made headlines with passionate comments criticizing the NCAA's uneven eligibility rules, particularly concerning international players with pro experience playing college basketball while American high school players face stricter limitations. He argues for a fairer system, potentially involving collective bargaining, that doesn't disadvantage young American athletes and supports changes like allowing mid-season transfers without penalty if a coach leaves. 

Key Themes of His Recent Comments

Double Standard for Players: Calipari highlights a perceived unfairness where international players with NBA draft experience (like Baylor's James Nnaji) can join college teams mid-season, while American high school players face harsher restrictions.

Impact on American Kids: He's concerned about the diminishing opportunities for talented American high schoolers as they compete with seasoned international and G-League players.

NCAA Rule Reform: He calls for the NCAA to address these inequities, suggesting a potential future with super-conferences and collective bargaining to create a more equitable system for players and coaches.

Transfer Portal Rules: He advocates for allowing players to transfer without penalty if their coach leaves or is fired, noting the current system is confusing and unfair. 

Why It Matters

Calipari argues these rules are impacting the integrity of the game and the development of young American players, suggesting the current system is "going sideways".

His comments come as the landscape of college sports rapidly changes due to NIL and the transfer portal, with coaches like Calipari feeling the pressure at the ground level. 

  • Author

Part of the reason I started this thread is because I see college basketball as "further down the road" than college football. Having all the professional Euro Leagues adds levels to college basketball problems that don't exist in college football and whatever ends up happening in college basketball will probably trickle down to college football.

College needs to pattern itself after the NBA in their player contracts. They need multi year deals to stop the musical chairs. They need a salary cap on what college teams can generate through NIL for players. The cap should be at different levels in college, even in the top tier D1.  The SEC, Big 10, etc. can have a bigger cap than MAC, Sun Belt, etc. Yes, there will need to be collective bargaining to make all this legal. 

  • Author
1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

College needs to pattern itself after the NBA in their player contracts. They need multi year deals to stop the musical chairs. They need a salary cap on what college teams can generate through NIL for players. The cap should be at different levels in college, even in the top tier D1.  The SEC, Big 10, etc. can have a bigger cap than MAC, Sun Belt, etc. Yes, there will need to be collective bargaining to make all this legal. 

How would that benefit the players?

5 hours ago, theguru said:

How would that benefit the players?

1. Multi year contracts are a benefit to the players. It is what every pro athlete strives for. I doubt there are any players who enjoy going into the portal every year.

2. A salary cap will be a benefit for the players as a whole. It will keep the few star players from getting all the NIL dollars from the school. Let the top tier players and their agents negotiate additional NIL outside the school NIL. Spread the school NIL to more players.

3. The salary cap plus collective bargaining should spread the wealth to more athletes.

Finally, all these rules are needed to preserve college basketball interest with the fans. 

On 12/31/2025 at 7:19 PM, Voice of Reason said:

1. Multi year contracts are a benefit to the players. It is what every pro athlete strives for. I doubt there are any players who enjoy going into the portal every year.

2. A salary cap will be a benefit for the players as a whole. It will keep the few star players from getting all the NIL dollars from the school. Let the top tier players and their agents negotiate additional NIL outside the school NIL. Spread the school NIL to more players.

3. The salary cap plus collective bargaining should spread the wealth to more athletes.

Finally, all these rules are needed to preserve college basketball interest with the fans. 

To your summation, VOR, it already is losing the interest of a large sector of the fan base.  Never thought I would be lukewarm about the Cats in their big matchups, but now I shrug those losses off as just our big money wasn’t big enough.  I think maybe these games have transitioned from a big time event toward just being the outcome of a financial transaction.

Edited by Oldercoach

1 hour ago, Oldercoach said:

To your summation, VOR, it already is losing the interest of a large sector of the fan base.  Never thought I would be lukewarm about the Cats in their big matchups, but now I shrug those losses off as just our big money wasn’t big enough.  I think maybe these games have transitioned from a big time event toward just being the outcome of a financial transaction.

I have certainly lost interest. I have evolved to watching college basketball very similar to how I watch the NBA. Regular season games I watch if I have nothing else of interest. Even UK and UL games. I make it more of a point to try and watch their regular season games but no biggie if I miss a game. Every UK game and most UL games used to be appointment TV for me. Now, only if it is a bigger game, tough opponent do I try to make it an "appointment" game. For both college and the NBA, it is almost all about the post season for me when it comes to making certain to watch.

College basketball is reliant upon the big names of the sport (coaches + players) driving interest. The coaching mainstays are dropping like flies, and blueblood teams (see UK and UL) are having to hire coaches you would never dream of them hiring several years ago. Same for players. The rules now create more really good teams, but I can't get excited about my team rolling the dice on a small forward from Mercer or whatever mid-major school. 

And as I've said before. I'm an NBA guy. Once you get a team and commit to watching the pro sport, college basketball is BRUTAL to watch.

My UK interest level has dwindled. I'm in the new year and can only name a few of the guys on the team... that will pick up in conference, but that is not a good place to be. 

1 minute ago, bugatti said:

And as I've said before. I'm an NBA guy. Once you get a team and commit to watching the pro sport, college basketball is BRUTAL to watch.

I think subconsciously this is why I haven't taken a full dive into the NBA because I know it will ruin CBB for me.

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think subconsciously this is why I haven't taken a full dive into the NBA because I know it will ruin CBB for me.

Completely understandable. And it is weird, because in college football, I don't have that same perspective. 

And again, I will watch UK and miss very little of their conference action, but beyond that, I am only tuning in for the top 2-3 picks in next year's draft, and some NCAA tournament action. You are not going to catch me watching Baylor/TCU on a random Wednesday night.

I’m a die hard UK fan, or use to be as others have stated. I was 8 when Pitino was hired. Even the Billy G tenure didn’t dissuade my fandom. Once the 9-16 team came with Cal and then the slow death of his era followed, I am more a casual fan than 10 year old me could ever imagine. The one and done part was not to my liking but we dealt with it. This NIL makes me annoyed and if catch the game great if not oh well. I am the fan that stays up until 11:30pm to watch the Cats play Ole Miss on a Wednesday, but not anymore.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.