Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Montgomery County Gym

Featured Replies

If we use the 6,000 figure from above for Mason and the $5.00 admission fee, that would mean each session that is sold out would see a $5,000 decrease in the regional gate. Seven sessions and worse case scenario is a reduction in gate of $35,000 for the regional tournament.

 

Now they will not sell out each and every session, but if they sell out the last 3, that would still result in a reduction of the gate of $15,000. Among the 8participants that will share the proceeds that COULD translate into close to $2,000 less per team they take home.

What I have been told that this would be taken care of by some business people and the schools would not suffer a loss.

  • Replies 174
  • Views 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of at least 2 regional tournaments held at the Field House where people were turned away. There are always going to be more people wanting to watch than the gym will hold. Especially for region championships. So if you are worried about driving to Montgomery County and getting turned away think about the people that got turned away at Mason County. It works both ways.

True, but at Mason you are turning away after 5500 instead of 3500.

If we use the 6,000 figure from above for Mason and the $5.00 admission fee, that would mean each session that is sold out would see a $5,000 decrease in the regional gate. Seven sessions and worse case scenario is a reduction in gate of $35,000 for the regional tournament.

 

Now they will not sell out each and every session, but if they sell out the last 3, that would still result in a reduction of the gate of $15,000. Among the 8 participants that will share the proceeds that COULD translate into close to $2,000 less per team they take home.

Keep in mind also, that the payout to each school, is after reasonable expenses and would be, much less than that number.

 

It doesn't take long for those expenses to escalate, with hosting such a large tournament.

True, but at Mason you are turning away after 5500 instead of 3500.

 

Not 3500 for Montgomery...this is the #....4,200 and will be shut down when they get to 5,000. A difference of 500 people.

I don't live in Mason or Montgomery Co but Mason Co has the better facilities and larger gym and is better to watch a game in. More than likely , Montgomery Co could hold every crowd in the regional tournament (with split sessions) but probably would have to turn people away on the final game. Even Mason Co has had to turn people away at a final game a few years back. I know it's not fair for Mason Co get the regional tournament every year because it gives the home court advantage . Next year it won't matter because Mason CO will be a sure thing to go to the state tournament, regardless where the tournament is played. And another thing , it seems that Montgomery Co should have had this in mind when the gym was built. And something else , I'm not a specialist on butt sizes but as soon as you walk in the two facilities you can tell Mason is larger just by looking. :argue:

Among the 8participants that will share the proceeds that COULD translate into close to $2,000 less per team they take home.

 

And don't forget that in the 10th, even teams that do not make the region tournament get a check from the net amount. That would also be lower.

I don't live in Mason or Montgomery Co but Mason Co has the better facilities and larger gym and is better to watch a game in. More than likely , Montgomery Co could hold every crowd in the regional tournament (with split sessions) but probably would have to turn people away on the final game. Even Mason Co has had to turn people away at a final game a few years back. I know it's not fair for Mason Co get the regional tournament every year because it gives the home court advantage . Next year it won't matter because Mason CO will be a sure thing to go to the state tournament, regardless where the tournament is played. And another thing , it seems that Montgomery Co should have had this in mind when the gym was built. And something else , I'm not a specialist on butt sizes but as soon as you walk in the two facilities you can tell Mason is larger just by looking. :argue:

That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. I'll give you the fact that Mason has a slightly larger gym. However, if you think it is a "better facility" or a "better place to watch a game", then I would question whether or not you have even been in Montgomery's gym. First off, the quality of the locker rooms don't even compare. Montgomery Co. has four large locker rooms of equal size and the quality of a small college facility. They are all located at floor level close to the floor. Mason Co. has at least one that is way to small to even accomodate a high school team and it is down two flights of stairs. Unlike the Fieldhouse, Montgomery Co.'s gym has restrooms and concessions on both the lower and upper level, with large flat panel TV's showing live game action. I have been in seats in the Fieldhouse where you couldn't even see the scoreboards because the view was obstructed by the side goal supports. There are no such obstructed views in Montgomery Co.'s new gym. Also, the seats in Montgomery's gym are much more comfortable than those wooden bleachers in the upper level of the Fieldhouse.

 

Don't get me wrong, I think the Fieldhouse is a great place to watch a high school basketball game. I also think that the folks at Mason Co. have done an outstanding job hosting the regional tournament over the years. However, there is now another facility in the region worthy of a shot. You'd think that the most important thing would be for the kids involved to play in a quality environment and to have a FAIR shot at competing for a chance to go to RUPP, not how much money the member schools will receive or how far the casual fans will have to drive to watch the games.

That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. I'll give you the fact that Mason has a slightly larger gym. However, if you think it is a "better facility" or a "better place to watch a game", then I would question whether or not you have even been in Montgomery's gym. First off, the quality of the locker rooms don't even compare. Montgomery Co. has four large locker rooms of equal size and the quality of a small college facility. They are all located at floor level close to the floor. Mason Co. has at least one that is way to small to even accomodate a high school team and it is down two flights of stairs. Unlike the Fieldhouse, Montgomery Co.'s gym has restrooms and concessions on both the lower and upper level, with large flat panel TV's showing live game action. I have been in seats in the Fieldhouse where you couldn't even see the scoreboards because the view was obstructed by the side goal supports. There are no such obstructed views in Montgomery Co.'s new gym. Also, the seats in Montgomery's gym are much more comfortable than those wooden bleachers in the upper level of the Fieldhouse.

 

Don't get me wrong, I think the Fieldhouse is a great place to watch a high school basketball game. I also think that the folks at Mason Co. have done an outstanding job hosting the regional tournament over the years. However, there is now another facility in the region worthy of a shot. You'd think that the most important thing would be for the kids involved to play in a quality environment and to have a FAIR shot at competing for a chance to go to RUPP, not how much money the member schools will receive or how far the casual fans will have to drive to watch the games.

 

:thumb: Great post

That is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. I'll give you the fact that Mason has a slightly larger gym. However, if you think it is a "better facility" or a "better place to watch a game", then I would question whether or not you have even been in Montgomery's gym. First off, the quality of the locker rooms don't even compare. Montgomery Co. has four large locker rooms of equal size and the quality of a small college facility. They are all located at floor level close to the floor. Mason Co. has at least one that is way to small to even accomodate a high school team and it is down two flights of stairs. Unlike the Fieldhouse, Montgomery Co.'s gym has restrooms and concessions on both the lower and upper level, with large flat panel TV's showing live game action. I have been in seats in the Fieldhouse where you couldn't even see the scoreboards because the view was obstructed by the side goal supports. There are no such obstructed views in Montgomery Co.'s new gym. Also, the seats in Montgomery's gym are much more comfortable than those wooden bleachers in the upper level of the Fieldhouse.

 

Don't get me wrong, I think the Fieldhouse is a great place to watch a high school basketball game. I also think that the folks at Mason Co. have done an outstanding job hosting the regional tournament over the years. However, there is now another facility in the region worthy of a shot. You'd think that the most important thing would be for the kids involved to play in a quality environment and to have a FAIR shot at competing for a chance to go to RUPP, not how much money the member schools will receive or how far the casual fans will have to drive to watch the games.

Yes , I was there when Clark Co played Montgomery and stood outside 5 minutes in a very cold wind to get in to buy a ticket. I don't really care where the regionals are played, it's nothing to me, but if I go to a game I don't want to watch it on TV in the lobby.I did not say the facilities weren't nice but I like Mason's better. You have really a nice facility and I'm glad for you.:argue:

Yes , I was there when Clark Co played Montgomery and stood outside 5 minutes in a very cold wind to get in to buy a ticket. I don't really care where the regionals are played, it's nothing to me, but if I go to a game I don't want to watch it on TV in the lobby.I did not say the facilities weren't nice but I like Mason's better. You have really a nice facility and I'm glad for you.:argue:

5 WHOLE MINUTES?!!!....WOW!!! In that case, I understand your discontent.:rolleyes:

You sound angry. Need to ease up a little. We all have opinions , you have yours and I have mine. Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Author

3600 is not a big gym. It is a nice gym but cannot hold the crowds they have for the 10th region. It is nice having room to see a game. If Montgomery has trouble holding a regular season game with Clark than how do they expect to hold a regional tournament game.

I hope Montgomery Co gets a regional tournament and see how it works out. If it works out have more there--thats fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3600 is not a big gym. It is a nice gym but cannot hold the crowds they have for the 10th region. It is nice having room to see a game. If Montgomery has trouble holding a regular season game with Clark than how do they expect to hold a regional tournament game.

 

 

First, they've said the number is not 3600. They would stop it at 5000. Second, as other posters have already said 3500 was fit easily with atleast 1000 seats left and probably more, so I don't think they had much trouble holding the game.

Many venues, has attendance issues....They usually work out fine and for those concerned about seating, arrive early.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.