Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bishop Brossart 51 Bracken Co. 29

Featured Replies

I believe he might have been the official at the A-Town/Bracken game in early December that turned a 1-and-1 bonus situation into a two shot foul, the turning point of the game might I add. He might have even been the official in last season's rivalry game that did the same. Talk about consistently poor.

He does seem to let kids get away with things they shouldn't (over-agressiveness). As the saying goes: "Good officials go unnoticed."

It's even worse when the other official in last night's game had to ask for Mr. Mitchell's assistance on a few calls he should have been in position to make correctly. Instead, the wrong call was made repeatedly.

 

 

I do not know about Saturday's game, but Tom is a quality official. He is one of the very few varsity officials who do not place themselves above the game or the kids that play it, like several referees and coaches do. Any bonus call is the responsibility of the official book keeper. As long as that person communicates correctly, then it is the responsibility of the referee.

  • Replies 60
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from the sounds of it, nobody wants the touch fouls to be called, but nobody wants the teams to be allowed to play! Maybe everybody on this thread complaining should become a BBA official and solve the problem!!!

So from the sounds of it, nobody wants the touch fouls to be called, but nobody wants the teams to be allowed to play! Maybe everybody on this thread complaining should become a BBA official and solve the problem!!!

I think they just want consistancy.

I think they just want consistancy.

 

:thumb: :thumb:

I do not know about Saturday's game, but Tom is a quality official. He is one of the very few varsity officials who do not place themselves above the game or the kids that play it, like several referees and coaches do. Any bonus call is the responsibility of the official book keeper. As long as that person communicates correctly, then it is the responsibility of the referee.

 

There are two officals on the floor. They also need to communicate, they normally do. In the case of the Bracken at Augusta game. I was at this game, the ref looked at the score board and not the scorers table. I was sitting right there. He even told a Bracken player who asked that it was two shots when it was 1 and 1. I knew right then that it was going to be a problem. His fellow ref(Chamberlin) signaled 1 and 1 prior to the shot. Shot was off Augusta rebounds, fast breaks, Bracken players stood there.

So from the sounds of it, nobody wants the touch fouls to be called, but nobody wants the teams to be allowed to play! Maybe everybody on this thread complaining should become a BBA official and solve the problem!!!
I could also recite a litany of games that have been well officiated by the BBA guys, who, when the better officials are working, do a great job and I wouldn't trade them for any others.

 

However, last night was not one of those cases and you obviously didn't witness the game or you would understand what we are talking about.

Box and all-tourney teams, courtesy of Matt Montavon:

 

Bishop Brossart 12 17 10 12 – 51

Bracken County 2 4 16 7 – 29

 

BB: Cooper 8 3-4 19, Uebel 3 2-2 8, Kramer 0 2-2 2, Niemeyer 1 0-0 3, Kidney 5 1-3 11, Lloyd 1 1-2 3, Rebholz 1 1-2 3, Weyman 1 0-0 2. Totals 20 10-15 51.

BC: Hamilton 1 3-6 5, Cooper 1 3-5 5, Williams 1 0-3 2, Smith 1 0-0 3, Hall 2 5-9 9, Jefferson 0 2-2 2, Craft 0 3-4 3. Totals 6 16-29 29.

Three-pointers: BB 1 (Niemeyer), BC 1 (Smith).

Records: Bishop Brossart 17-3, Bracken County 13-7.

 

Kentucky Touchstone Energy 10th Region All “A” Classic All-Academic Team:

Billy Graves, Deming

Tyler Duncan, Nicholas Co.

John Yeiser, Paris

Adam Yeary, St. Patrick

Teddy Wiseman, Silver Grove

Matt Groves, Augusta

Marlin Bray, Calvary Christian

Ben Smith, Bracken Co.

Luke Rebholz, Bishop Brossart

 

Kentucky Touchstone Energy 10th Region All “A” Classic All-Tournament Team:

Clifton Willoughby, Nicholas Co.

Travis Massey, Deming

Chase Dumphord, Paris

Chris Owens, St. Patrick

Corey Pelle, Silver Grove

Josh White, Augusta

Dustin “Shooty” Staggs, Augusta

Ethan Glass, Calvary Christian

Joe Flanagan, Calvary Christian

Jesse Hall, Bracken Co.

Eli Cooper, Bracken Co.

Tyler Hamilton, Bracken Co.

Josh Kidney, Bishop Brossart

Troy Cooper, Bishop Brossart

Jimmy Uebel, Bishop Brossart

So the officials let them get a little too rough, did it really affect the outcome? I hardly think so. Maybe everyone should stop whinning and simply play the game. When it comes down to it, hardly ever does the officiating make a difference in the final outcome. Bracken missed enough free throws and lay ups alone to have possibly made a difference.

So the officials let them get a little too rough, did it really affect the outcome? I hardly think so. Maybe everyone should stop whinning and simply play the game. When it comes down to it, hardly ever does the officiating make a difference in the final outcome. Bracken missed enough free throws and lay ups alone to have possibly made a difference.
CITS - You are totally missing the point.

We (Brossart) won by 22 points last night - so this is obviusly not about the outcome. It's about two guys who chose NOT to call the game, let the game get out of control, and created a volitale playing environment.

 

As a result the players get more physical, more reaching, hacking, and checking goes on, the fouls come harder, and tempers flare. It didn't have to be that way.

 

Except for saving some pride, Bracken County players had nothing to play for in the second half. On the other hand, Brossart needed to stay in one piece because we are headed to Richmond later this week. We already have guys who are playing busted up and one sitting out due to a playing injury. We couldn't afford to get anyone else hurt.

 

Credit the Bears - they took advantage and matched us point per point in the second half, requiring Coach Code to keep the starters in until late in the game. As was, both teams shot the double bonus.

 

I've had my say on this and will let it rest.

 

You failed to answer my question about being in attendence last night - like maybe wearing a striped shirt???

So the officials let them get a little too rough, did it really affect the outcome? I hardly think so. Maybe everyone should stop whinning and simply play the game. When it comes down to it, hardly ever does the officiating make a difference in the final outcome. Bracken missed enough free throws and lay ups alone to have possibly made a difference.

Didn't affect the outcome, but they were still awful....

I wasnt able to attend the game due to out of town business, but The score is no surprise to me... I felt Brossarts Defense was very good and after the cake walk they had through Calvary and Bracken fighting through Augusta I didnt figure it would be this close..

 

CONGRATS TO BROSSART and I hope you represent the 10th well

 

 

Also a congrats to BC as they played very hard and deserved the runner up trophy they received! Congrats to Coach Fite!

CITS - You are totally missing the point.

We (Brossart) won by 22 points last night - so this is obviusly not about the outcome. It's about two guys who chose NOT to call the game, let the game get out of control, and created a volitale playing environment.

 

As a result the players get more physical, more reaching, hacking, and checking goes on, the fouls come harder, and tempers flare. It didn't have to be that way.

 

Except for saving some pride, Bracken County players had nothing to play for in the second half. On the other hand, Brossart needed to stay in one piece because we are headed to Richmond later this week. We already have guys who are playing busted up and one sitting out due to a playing injury. We couldn't afford to get anyone else hurt.

 

Credit the Bears - they took advantage and matched us point per point in the second half, requiring Coach Code to keep the starters in until late in the game. As was, both teams shot the double bonus.

 

I've had my say on this and will let it rest.

 

You failed to answer my question about being in attendence last night - like maybe wearing a striped shirt???

No I was not in a striped shirt or will you ever see me in one. I have the most respect for these men and women. They have a difficult job and nobody is perfect. I am sure had you been in stripes you would have cleaned it up though. Sounds like maybe BB needs to look at their strength and condtioning program if they are having that much trouble with injuries. Remember basketball is a contact sport so you will have those physical games from time to time.

CITS - You are totally missing the point.

We (Brossart) won by 22 points last night - so this is obviusly not about the outcome. It's about two guys who chose NOT to call the game, let the game get out of control, and created a volitale playing environment.

 

As a result the players get more physical, more reaching, hacking, and checking goes on, the fouls come harder, and tempers flare. It didn't have to be that way.

 

Except for saving some pride, Bracken County players had nothing to play for in the second half. On the other hand, Brossart needed to stay in one piece because we are headed to Richmond later this week. We already have guys who are playing busted up and one sitting out due to a playing injury. We couldn't afford to get anyone else hurt.

 

Credit the Bears - they took advantage and matched us point per point in the second half, requiring Coach Code to keep the starters in until late in the game. As was, both teams shot the double bonus.

 

I've had my say on this and will let it rest.

 

You failed to answer my question about being in attendence last night - like maybe wearing a striped shirt???

Mr Mustang.. It wasnt but a few years ago that maybe YOU HAD NOTHING TO PLAY FOR IN THE SECONDHALF. No need to down the bears or any other team, I believe I seen where you got knocked down a notch by Pendleton County, Maybe I read that wrong.. Also I read where you thought you were in contention with Mason and Clark County, Maybe I read that wrong, Im not a BB basher of any sort( just dont like the comments) , You act like you all are UNBEATABLE. You are getting out of the T-Ball into Major leagues now.. I was in attendance and You all played well and the bears stunk...

I wish you the best in the all "A" State tourney,, Just a few BEARFACTS

Mr Mustang.. It wasnt but a few years ago that maybe YOU HAD NOTHING TO PLAY FOR IN THE SECONDHALF. No need to down the bears or any other team, I believe I seen where you got knocked down a notch by Pendleton County, Maybe I read that wrong.. Also I read where you thought you were in contention with Mason and Clark County, Maybe I read that wrong, Im not a BB basher of any sort( just dont like the comments) , You act like you all are UNBEATABLE. You are getting out of the T-Ball into Major leagues now.. I was in attendance and You all played well and the bears stunk...

I wish you the best in the all "A" State tourney,, Just a few BEARFACTS

Certainly not intended as a put down of the Bracken County Polar Bears. Was meant as defining why the officials needed to maintain control of the basketball game in the second half.

 

If you listen to the replay of our broadcast you will learn that I had nothing but admiration for the spunk of the Bears in the second half when they could have come out, rolled over and played dead.

 

Perhaps that was a poor choice of words on my part, but my topic was about the officiating and certainly NOT meant to bash the Bears.

 

Reread my comments in that regard and maybe you will see them in a different light.

 

I have been associated with this program for over 30 years and I certainly remember my roots. I have always tried to be gracious when things have gone both good and bad for our program. I remember well the adage to be kind to the people and teams that you meet on the way up because you will see them again on the way back down.

 

Apologies if I came off as being arrogant, certainly not my intentions.

The officiating was something to be desired to say the least. There was never any consistency the entire game. I would hope the BBA (10th and 11th region officials association) could send three officials to the FINALS for the 10th Region Class "A", apparently not. IMHO there are better officials that could have worked that game.

 

Also, was it just where the group of people I was sitting w/ was or was the sound system a bit tough to understand, not very clear?:irked:

 

Basketball officials are like coaches. Some are bad. You know what I mean :rolleyes:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.