Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Pulls Kid's Scholarship (Take 2)...

Featured Replies

  • Author

It happens. It's tough for the kid, package deal or not. For one thing, signing day is almost here. It's a scramble for him now.

 

I don't think this proves UK is 'classless' or anything like that. I have the same view about this as I did the in Durham's case (minus the timing, but then Brad was pressured to committ early, so maybe that balances.) But I'd be lying if I didn't think about the potshots that were taken when the shoe was on the other foot, and wonder about them now. Some of those even came from Brooks, who basically said 'we don't pull kids' offers.' Which is a stupid thing to say in collegiate athletics, because they would be the first and last to keep to that.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I put my Devil's Adocate card out, I need to see confirmation that he was offered a grayshirt....with that, all who ridiculed Louisville for what they did, should now do the same to UK, or take back what they said about Louisville. If not, you have lost credibility to the masses.

I harvested a bit of the "righteous indignation" that was posted on the thread relating to Brad Durham. I would love to get some of their reactions to this.

 

UofL picked the worst time in the world to deliver this news to Durham..........Classless

 

Whats classless is the timing of the whole thing....Not that they pulled a scholly from a Ky boy.

So what is it when a university pulls a kids scholarship offer just over a week from signing day?

 

They should have made their decision earlier. The timing on this was way off IMO.

Again as opposed to waiting until the week before signing day?:rolleyes:

 

 

Not a UK folk...if UK or Bama had done this, I would think the same thing.

 

No, shame on you for not knowing that when you give someone something, you shouldn't ask for it back...I think I learned that in elementary school.

well...

 

 

Its a classless act to pull an offer after its been made and Durham should thank his lucky stars now instead of finding out later after he's wasted half his career up there in that cess pool.

This was certainly a very objective and well thought out response. I wonder if he will say the same thing regarding Minor?

 

I can understand a school backing off of a kid if they think they made a quick offer, but not if he is already committed to them.

 

Durham verbally committed months ago and for a team to do this is sending the wrong message to recruits whether in-state or out of state. I just think this looks bad to future recruits because Petrino could pull your offer at any time if someone "better" comes along.

Same holds true for Minor.

 

guarantee you that you are wrong. I, a Kentucky fan, would be upset as well.

The Colonel posted this in response to someone asking how he would react if Kentucky pulled a kid's offer. Has the Colonel expressed his displeasure with this yet?

 

don't care when they did it. If they offered and he acepted their offer and they were fine with it then, they should hold true to it. Don't offer if you don't want them, plain and simple

Does the same hold true now that Kentucky has done it?

 

THe bottom line, if U.L. offered they should stand behind the offer. THe youngman had several offers early this year and when he committed, the other school went to a different player. If this was my son, I would look into a law suit. At this time of year, most D-1 schools have made the offers to seniors, looking at juniors by now. Durham may not get a D-1 offer because they may not be one out there. Except for U.K. because they are usely behind all the big time D-1 schools

Are you sending your lawyers card to Minor? How many offers do you think Minor will get at this point?

 

 

Listen folks, it's pretty simple. UL found a player that they thought was better than Durham, and they backed out. Some people's word is worth something, and some it's not worth anything. We know by now where Petrino fits. Cut and Dried.

 

I'm quite entertained by the different perspectives that some of the UL faithful are able to come up with to justify, or at the very least, soften the tragic move that was made. There's nearly as much spin on this subject than there is during a presidential election.

So now we also know what Brooks' word is worth I assume? Now look at this thread. The Kentucky people are spinning with the best of them aren't they?

 

 

UL should have never offered him in the 1st place. Some coach looked this kid in the eye, shook his hand, and told him they wanted to pay for his college and wanted him to play football for them. And lied to the kid's face. It shows a lack of character handling this situation.

 

You can twist it or turn it anyway you want, but a man's word, to me is very important and they lied to a highschool kid and his family. You can put whipped cream, syrup, and sprinkles all over it, but thrown on top of dirt it still dont make it a sundae.

 

I do not think Tom Larkey would lie about him being offered or the player for that matter. What the UL football team did in this situation was flat out wrong, and yes he is, or was a UL fan according to some friends I have from Rockastle Co.

Also Ive seen him play once this year against Bell Co and he is a player in my eyes. I just think this was a low thing for UL to do to a kid. They would be furious if this happened to one of their sons.

 

UL's coaches should have been man enough to honor their commitment to Durham and his family. There is nothing manly about how they handled this situation

 

The kid is 6-6 and 300 lbs and isnt a statue either. Obviously they had seen something in him at one time or another.

I think what they should have done is explained to him they are not pleased with his progress and then leave it up to him whether or not he wants to back out.

I just see what UL did as being absolutely wrong. And if UK or whoever else, ever does this I will feel the exact same way.

 

I understand UL is your program and your trying to stick up for them, they showed no class in this situation.

 

The thing is they offered to pay for his education. Whether or not he ever stepped on the field or not he had a full ride to a good university to get an education so he can make a living. With him having such a high GPA academics probably played a big role in his decision. There is a lot more to it than just being good enough to play football there. You just cant justify what UL did here.

 

 

I just think its an awful thing to do and a lot of the UL fans on this board want to sweep it under the rug and act like it isnt a big deal.

If it was your son, or your family member, or a friend, or so,eome from your HS it is a big deal.

 

 

Are you kidding me?

 

Fact #1 They offered him a scholarship to UL. Some coach on UL's staff told him he was invited to UL to play football and get a free education.

 

Fact#2 They call him back and say you cannot come to UL and play football and get a free education.

 

That in my book is a lie.

 

When it involves a highschool kid's future, and you promise him something, and probably shook on it, yes it is a lie.

This poster was very prolific in declaring how dishonest those at UofL were. Has he been nearly as effusive in his criticism of UK?

 

 

 

Finally I guess we can now answer some questions posed in the other thread.

 

If this kid was from out of state, would you people even give it two thoughts??

I guess the answer is no.

 

If it wasn't your favorite team, would you defend them?

I ask the UK fans this regarding Minor.

^ FLETCH is that you

 

:laugh:

Again... can anyone confirm details about the greyshirt? If UK offered that and the kid turned it down then I don't see much wrong with it. If they just pulled it to pull it, I don't like it.

  • Author
Again... can anyone confirm details about the greyshirt? If UK offered that and the kid turned it down then I don't see much wrong with it. If they just pulled it to pull it, I don't like it.
Plenty of people saw something wrong with U of L's offer of a greyshirt for a certain player that ended up at UK. But that's neither here nor there- I agree that it is a mitigating factor.
Plenty of people saw something wrong with U of L's offer of a greyshirt for a certain player that ended up at UK. But that's neither here nor there- I agree that it is a mitigating factor.

I'd simply like to know what all went down before making a judgement.

One thing to remember, this kid just verballed two weekends ago. Its not like he verballed in June and they waited until now to say no thanks. Without knowing all the details, I'm hesitant to judge.

 

However, if it turns out his offer was not conditional, was accepted by UK when offered and the kid did nothing to negate it, then I say shame on UK for pulling the offer without offering another solution.

 

If they offered a grey shirt as a solution and he turned that down, then I say it is a no fault issue and chalk it up to business as usual.

^ FLETCH is that you

 

:laugh:

No, but some people have some serious 'splainin to do. :lol:

The Colonel posted this in response to someone asking how he would react if Kentucky pulled a kid's offer. Has the Colonel expressed his displeasure with this yet?

 

I haven't been on much lately, but yes, I am disappointed in Kentucky as well; however, I do think that this situation is a little different than Durham's. The coach who recruited this player has since moved on, so he may no longer fit into the grande scheme of things. With that said, I am still disappointed and it's very unfortunate that this young man will no longer be able to play in Lexington. Hopefully UK tried to make some type of alternate agreement with him (grayshirt, redshirt, etc.) - if not, it is much worse timing than Durham's situation.

After the UK people raked Louisville over the coals I really thought that they would be lining up to express their displeasure with their staff over their actions.:rolleyes: After all they certainly would want anyone to think they were just a tad bit hypocritical now would they?

 

What difference does it make that Archer has left? Did he recruit his own players? FWIW Minor was supposed to play offense.

After the UK people raked Louisville over the coals I really thought that they would be lining up to express their displeasure with their staff over their actions.:rolleyes: After all they certainly would want anyone to think they were just a tad bit hypocritical now would they?

 

What difference does it make that Archer has left? Did he recruit his own players? FWIW Minor was supposed to play offense.

As many have said, we don't know the details.

It is just the same old stuff, college football is a business and teams only have a few schollys to offer. It would have been irresponsible to offer one unless it is to the best player that they can get for it. Doesn't matter who it is or what school. All the people that accused Louisville or Louisville fans of being bad people or showing bad character were just showing blind ignorance and distain for the program that they already felt in their hearts. And if Louisville fans are pointing out hypocracy, just make sure you realize that we can be just as bad about this stuff too. No team, organization, or fan base is better than the other in this reguard.

As many have said, we don't know the details.

That didn't stop the UK people from raking Louisville over the coals. There is exactly tha same amount of information out on this as there was on the Durham incident. The only diffference is thatw e don't have a high school coach raking a college (that he didn't want his player to go to in the first plcae) over the coals.

UK fans will always rake Louisville fans over the coals at any opportunity. And visa versa.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.