Tyler Jones is the next boys head coach at Grant County

I hope he does a good job being a Braves fan.  Good luck with this new journey.  Good place to start coaching and move on but to stay very long will be difficult.  AD is a miserable and does not want basketball to do well. 

The only good thing in Jones favor is the hire of a new superintendent and maybe his eyes are opened to the job-sense that occurs in athletics.   Extracurricular drives culture in a school system and should be a focus of every school in every distric.

• Like 1

Coach Utter did an amazing job at GC and is going to be a tough act to follow. However, I think Tyler Jones is going to be just fine and will do a great job. There will be some things he will learn early on but over time will be just fine. Not too worried about the experience as any coach has to start somewhere. Give it time. Some of the classes coming through may just surprise some people. Success does not start at the varsity level it starts way before then for a lot of these young men no matter what school it is. 

• Like 1

It will take lots of time and lots of hard work or watering down the schedule to just get wins.  Freshmen were solid, 8th grade has a class solid, 7th grade questionable, 6th grade not very good.   

Well this is the last thing I’ll say.. the only surprise we will have, is that he can’t win games with the talent that’s coming up, cuz they had a losing record in the middle school last year.. I’ll just say this I have a kid in the youth program and not many are happy about this.. is what it is, roll tribe. Good luck!

You all can talk bad all you would like but the youth program is going to be fine. There are some really good groups coming through! I have kids in the youth program as well so not sure who you are talking about! My last reply as well. 

7 hours ago, NKYBballFan32 said:

He tried and Ron Kinman brought someone else in to take JV job and Jones quit.. is that the example we are setting at GC?

Quit on the kids when things don’t go our way?

That was in 2009. It's been fifteen years, I think there is a decent chance he has grown up a little.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:28 PM, Woodsman said:

I hope he does a good job being a Braves fan.  Good luck with this new journey.  Good place to start coaching and move on but to stay very long will be difficult.  AD is a miserable and does not want basketball to do well. 

The only good thing in Jones favor is the hire of a new superintendent and maybe his eyes are opened to the job-sense that occurs in athletics.   Extracurricular drives culture in a school system and should be a focus of every school in every distric.

If the AD doesn’t want basketball to do well then what sport(s) does he want to do well?

The district has money to do things. In general it looks like athletic decisions (as far as money) hasn’t been handled well. This is from the outside looking in. 

The biggest thing for someone that is inexperienced is all the administrative parts of the job. Fundraising, purchasing of things, schedules, paperwork, dealing with administration, youth programs and so on. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, barrel said:

If the AD doesn’t want basketball to do well then what sport(s) does he want to do well?

The district has money to do things. In general it looks like athletic decisions (as far as money) hasn’t been handled well. This is from the outside looking in. 

The biggest thing for someone that is inexperienced is all the administrative parts of the job. Fundraising, purchasing of things, schedules, paperwork, dealing with administration, youth programs and so on. 

Track.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:45 AM, BA said:

. Not sure how a school that size does not have a full time AD, a second gym, turf fields, or a full size weight room.  

When a school has a full time AD, does that mean they work 40 hours a week or is a full time AD just someone who is in the office 5 days a week? The Grant County AD, I am almost positive, is in the building 5 days a week, would that not make him full time?

Just seems like such an odd hire. Why go with the guy who has very little real experience over the other candidates that had very successful stints with other programs. I know he’s a former player for Grant but is this what this program needs right now?