Highlands 39 Notre Dame 37 (9th Region Round 1)

7 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

That is for sure.  They bow to the whim of some families on a very consistent basis.  If Coach Kayed learned one thing, don't keep a senior just to be nice but then think you'll get away with not playing her.

Fortunately for the entire NDA community, he’s on his way out. New president, new principal, hopefully a new culture where the admin supports the coaches they hire to run these programs. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vbtalk said:

Fortunately for the entire NDA community, he’s on his way out. New president, new principal, hopefully a new culture where the admin supports the coaches they hire to run these programs. 

We can all agree on that.

But I write no checks to NDA nor have kids there.  Just an outside observer who knows a lot of basketball families and that basketball program has a glaring flaw with player retention and my points show it. It is an issue that should be looked into.  I never brought Kez's name up but when it was, I addressed it and for that matter complemented him on being better than the prior coach.     Obviously, you like Kez and that's great.  You don't see or don't want to see the things I do and that's okay too.  I have no skin in this game, and it doesn't affect me in the least if he stays or goes nor will it.  Have no worries, I'm not from the "wrong" family so this conversation will fall on deaf ears.   

8 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

We can all agree on that.

But I write no checks to NDA nor have kids there.  Just an outside observer who knows a lot of basketball families and that basketball program has a glaring flaw with player retention and my points show it. It is an issue that should be looked into.  I never brought Kez's name up but when it was, I addressed it and for that matter complemented him on being better than the prior coach.     Obviously, you like Kez and that's great.  You don't see or don't want to see the things I do and that's okay too.  I have no skin in this game, and it doesn't affect me in the least if he stays or goes nor will it.  Have no worries, I'm not from the "wrong" family so this conversation will fall on deaf ears.   

I think it’s less of a problem than you do, that’s all. I do like Kez, and consider him a friend. But my first post was that he needs to be more flexible and understanding with the volleyball and soccer players if he wants them to be part of the basketball program. Every coach knows there’s a difference between a basketball player who plays volleyball, and a volleyball player who plays basketball. The kid at Conner (Anna Hamilton, maybe?) is a basketball player who plays volleyball. If she wanted to pursue volleyball in college, she could. The best (but not the only) way to do that is by playing club volleyball. Telling that kid she then couldn’t play high school basketball also would be wrong. Making kids choose one sport over another isn’t what’s best for kids. With that, I’ve shown that I don’t think Kez is above being constructively criticized. But saying he’s the cause of a problem that may or not even be a problem, or one within his control, is just unnecessary blame. Also, you don’t have to mention the coach by name when you question the program. Everyone knew exactly to what you were alluding. 

6 minutes ago, vbtalk said:

I think it’s less of a problem than you do, that’s all. I do like Kez, and consider him a friend. But my first post was that he needs to be more flexible and understanding with the volleyball and soccer players if he wants them to be part of the basketball program. Every coach knows there’s a difference between a basketball player who plays volleyball, and a volleyball player who plays basketball. The kid at Conner (Anna Hamilton, maybe?) is a basketball player who plays volleyball. If she wanted to pursue volleyball in college, she could. The best (but not the only) way to do that is by playing club volleyball. Telling that kid she then couldn’t play high school basketball also would be wrong. Making kids choose one sport over another isn’t what’s best for kids. With that, I’ve shown that I don’t think Kez is above being constructively criticized. But saying he’s the cause of a problem that may or not even be a problem, or one within his control, is just unnecessary blame. Also, you don’t have to mention the coach by name when you question the program. Everyone knew exactly to what you were alluding. 

We agree on a lot of things, but you keep trying to put words into my mouth.  Player retention is obviously an issue and suspect it could be again next year.   It could be a school culture problem, administrative problem, financial problems, parent problems, mental health problem or some other problem that I'm not able to think of.   But you keep coming back to Kez and act like I'm accusing him of some sort of treachery.  I have not accused him of anything.  I just said it should be looked into.  I would hope you would agree.  And once the problem is identified it is dealt with.    

As a parent of an NDA basketball athlete, it’s a Kez problem.  He has created a culture of fear.  Not only did rosemary leave and Kirtley quit, but we had 3 juniors not return to the team because of him.  Further, we have to pull 8th graders up to Freshman because his reputation is seeping down levels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir_Chiefton said:

As a parent of an NDA basketball athlete, it’s a Kez problem.  He has created a culture of fear.  Not only did rosemary leave and Kirtley quit, but we had 3 juniors not return to the team because of him.  Further, we have to pull 8th graders up to Freshman because his reputation is seeping down levels.

Welcome to BGP @Sir_Chiefton!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sir_Chiefton said:

Welcome aboard, Chief!

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

That is for sure.  They bow to the whim of some families on a very consistent basis.  If Coach Kayed learned one thing, don't keep a senior just to be nice but then think you'll get away with not playing her.

Amen to that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKato91 said:

We agree on a lot of things, but you keep trying to put words into my mouth.  Player retention is obviously an issue and suspect it could be again next year.   It could be a school culture problem, administrative problem, financial problems, parent problems, mental health problem or some other problem that I'm not able to think of.   But you keep coming back to Kez and act like I'm accusing him of some sort of treachery.  I have not accused him of anything.  I just said it should be looked into.  I would hope you would agree.  And once the problem is identified it is dealt with.    

Fair enough. And I agree, if there’s a problem it should be evaluated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Chiefton said:

Welcome to BGP. Sorry your daughter doesn’t get the playing time or accolades you believe she deserves. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, vbtalk said:

Welcome to BGP. Sorry your daughter doesn’t get the playing time or accolades you believe she deserves. 

Not the case.  Great playing time.  Excellent accolades.  I’m just speaking the truth

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir_Chiefton said:

Not the case.  Great playing time.  Excellent accolades.  I’m just speaking the truth

Also, instead of assuming I’m some disgruntled parent who is throwing a tantrum, maybe check to see if what I am saying is accurate.  Why don’t you ask each and every kid on that team about that man.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sir_Chiefton said:

Also, instead of assuming I’m some disgruntled parent who is throwing a tantrum, maybe check to see if what I am saying is accurate.  Why don’t you ask each and every kid on that team about that man.  

My experience tells me that any time someone says something as generalized and opinionated as “his reputation is seeping down levels”, it’s a disgruntled parent who is throwing a tantrum. Could I be wrong here? Absolutely possible. If I’m proven to be wrong I’ll be the first to admit it. But your hyperbole isn’t helping your credibility. You can certainly speak about your daughter’s feelings with some authority. But you can’t speak for every kid on the team. If every kid on the team has come to you to complain about Kez, and you allowed it to happen, you’re part of the problem. “Culture of fear” is almost always helicopter-parent speak for culture of responsibility and accountability. What are they afraid of, getting benched? GOOD! THAT’S COMPETITION! Kez has trained too many athletes successfully and been too good of a coach for too long for an entire group of kids to just absolutely hate him, as you claim. Could it be that his style isn’t clicking with a group of kids (and more likely - parents) who want to run fast and shoot 3s from the logo like the Iowa player? Maybe. Is he a bad human being who does mean crap to spite children and make them bend to his will? Absolutely not. 

3 hours ago, Sir_Chiefton said:

I have been a fan of NDA basketball for many years now and have witnessed the transition of coaching staffs multiple times.  Kes has Absolutely improved the product, I don't think anyone disputes that.  I agree with a lot of what  @Legacy26 has to say about NDA athletes choosing soccer or volleyball over basketball, but I can't think of a single volleyball player that has played both during his tenure.  I can think of 5 that have played soccer and basketball at NDA past their Freshman year and some even finish playing both.  The girls that finish the program keep in touch with Kes, and to my knowledge they all have very good relationships with him.  Didn't ex player Kate Moore even come back and help on the staff this year?

From my point of view, and in my opinion, Kes has played the same players at his disposal that I would be playing if I was the coach.  He seems to reward effort, hustle and execution and not reward lack of discipline or doing something the exact opposite of what he told them to do...  In my discussions with the players I have known closely, yes he can be a jerk at times in practice or post game speeches but I have never had a coach that wasn't that way at times. Isn't that one of the fringe benefits of sports... to maybe prepare you for the future if your boss or manager isn't always nice to you?

I thought I read that Rosemary moved out by Ryle?  Don't know anything about Kirtley...  As for the 3 juniors that quit last year, they didn't play last year with only one senior so if they thought not much was going to change, maybe they decided to try something else?  Again, I'm not sure Kes is getting the lineups wrong to win games but everyone has their own opinion.

I know for a fact that Basketball is getting less and less popular at the Grade school level in ALL the NDA Feeder Schools.  I doubt very much that Kes has anything to do with that.  I just think Soccer and VB are more popular.

@UKato91 Can't you say the same things about the baseball coach across the street?  Low senior count, good talent, wins a lot of regular season games, no region title in years...  He still seems to get a lot of respect...

I know a lot of people, especially officials, don't like Coach Murphy.  But I'm a fan. He dedicates an incredible amount of time into these girls. I'm pretty sure at a rate of about $1/hr.  

7 minutes ago, vbtalk said:

My experience tells me that any time someone says something as generalized and opinionated as “his reputation is seeping down levels”, it’s a disgruntled parent who is throwing a tantrum. Could I be wrong here? Absolutely possible. If I’m proven to be wrong I’ll be the first to admit it. But your hyperbole isn’t helping your credibility. You can certainly speak about your daughter’s feelings with some authority. But you can’t speak for every kid on the team. If every kid on the team has come to you to complain about Kez, and you allowed it to happen, you’re part of the problem. “Culture of fear” is almost always helicopter-parent speak for culture of responsibility and accountability. What are they afraid of, getting benched? GOOD! THAT’S COMPETITION! Kez has trained too many athletes successfully and been too good of a coach for too long for an entire group of kids to just absolutely hate him, as you claim. Could it be that his style isn’t clicking with a group of kids (and more likely - parents) who want to run fast and shoot 3s from the logo like the Iowa player? Maybe. Is he a bad human being who does mean crap to spite children and make them bend to his will? Absolutely not. 

I’d love to meet you in person.  I think you would be very surprised about just who I am.  Be happy to discuss in person so that you can see that I am not some helicopter disgruntled parent whos upset about his kids playing time or accolades.