2023 MVP Race

burreaux

Right now the favorite seems to be Lamar Jackson. A week ago it was Brock Purdy and the week before it was Dak Prescott. Lamar's definitely had a good year and better than most people imagined but it still feels like his year hasn't been special. If there was ever a year for a non-QB to win it, it should be this year. We have good candidates like Tyreek Hill and Christian McCaffrey, but I don't think it's possible for the MVP to be anyone other than a QB.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I love how now that the Ravens went to SF and clapped the 49ers Lamar all of a sudden is the favorite. Most people assumed the 49ers would kill the Ravens, not so fast...

I am not shocked Baltimore won, but how they won was shocking. The DVOA statistics for both these teams were historically great, mostly due to their dominating defenses.

We really need to have a conversation about what MVP is now. It has been reduced to narrative stories around teams with top records and their QBs. I watch my fair share of Lamar and keep up with his play. And no, the MVP is not meant to be a statistical award, but by any metric this is Lamar's what? 3rd or 4th best season as a QB? That ain't a knock on him because LJ has set a high bar, he's been tremendous! But MVP good? Why not just call it the "Top Performing QB Award" and be done with it?

From a betting perspective, the awards is Lamar's to lose coming in at nearly 1:2 odds. Next best is McCaffery at 4:1. Tua is interesting in third place at 10:1. This is all about taking a flyer on Miami beating Baltimore this weekend (don't see it happening).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bugatti said:

We really need to have a conversation about what MVP is now. It has been reduced to narrative stories around teams with top records and their QBs. I watch my fair share of Lamar and keep up with his play. And no, the MVP is not meant to be a statistical award, but by any metric this is Lamar's what? 3rd or 4th best season as a QB? That ain't a knock on him because LJ has set a high bar, he's been tremendous! But MVP good? Why not just call it the "Top Performing QB Award" and be done with it?

From a betting perspective, the awards is Lamar's to lose coming in at nearly 1:2 odds. Next best is McCaffery at 4:1. Tua is interesting in third place at 10:1. This is all about taking a flyer on Miami beating Baltimore this weekend (don't see it happening).

It's basically a popularity test, and the QB on the "best" team at the "right" time usually wins it. 

I will say, Lamar's first MVP, that one was pretty obvious. Occasionally that happens, but seems like most of the time it doesn't. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It's basically a popularity test, and the QB on the "best" team at the "right" time usually wins it. 

I will say, Lamar's first MVP, that one was pretty obvious. Occasionally that happens, but seems like most of the time it doesn't. 

Absolutely. The fact it can ebb and flow like it does down the stretch is comical. If Miami were somehow able to go into Baltimore and win this weekend with Lamar having his best game of the season, I have no doubt pop-fly Tua would be the leader in the clubhouse.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:26 AM, TheDeuce said:

It's definitely a narrative driven award. I think Lamar should win it this year. I think if you take him off the Ravens, that team is much worse. If the Dolphins or 49ers lost their starting QB they could probably weather that storm better.

21 minutes ago, burreaux said:

It's definitely a narrative driven award. I think Lamar should win it this year. I think if you take him off the Ravens, that team is much worse. If the Dolphins or 49ers lost their starting QB they could probably weather that storm better.

And that's what the award should be. 

• Like 1