Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Suspended Coach Jim Hicks suspended again

Featured Replies

Either fire him or let him do his job. I for one do not like his behavior on the sidelines, it's completely classless and immature. After seeing what he did after the Russell vs Greenup game this year, I think he has zero class. With that said, I think he has great knowledge of the game. He knows basketball, that's for sure. From what I've heard all of his players enjoy playing for him and their parents support him as well. He definately gets the most out of his players. With a little anger management I think he could be a great all-around coach because knowing the game is just one characteristic that makes a coach great, it takes more than that though.

  • Replies 71
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either fire him or let him do his job. I for one do not like his behavior on the sidelines, it's completely classless and immature. After seeing what he did after the Russell vs Greenup game this year, I think he has zero class. With that said, I think he has great knowledge of the game. He knows basketball, that's for sure. From what I've heard all of his players enjoy playing for him and their parents support him as well. He definately gets the most out of his players. With a little anger management I think he could be a great all-around coach because knowing the game is just one characteristic that makes a coach great, it takes more than that though.

 

Sounds a little like Bobby Knight at the High School level

Doesn't sound to brite to me. I don't know what is going on but I have seen Mr. Hicks and his antics before. Never really had much respect for the man. Not taking anything away from his basketball knowledge. I never played for him.

 

:lol: :lol: Doesn't sound "to brite" to you?

 

Anyone who knows why he was originally suspended please PM me.

I have to say that I have never seen anything like this. I have to agree with everyone that it is time to fish or cut bait. Not only is it embarrassing to the school but also unfair to the man involved. Either he committed a firable offense or he didn't.

 

The administration at Greenup has made a circus of this season and who is really hurt are the players. When you think about it there are seniors who have worked hard for years and have basically had their senior year turned upside down.

It has turned into a joke and I hate it for the players involved. I know at least now we can watch the ballgame. With Hicks on the bench you hated to look away from him, you might miss something. His classless behavior turned him into the show and it took away from the game. He makes Knight look calm. Still, I have to admit his kids were always prepared and played well.

From a pretty reliable source I heard that there was a handshake agreement made yesterday. Hicks could return with stipulations. He came back today and refused the deal. Thus the additional suspension. And the soap opera continues..........................................................

After reading all of the Hicks supporters say this was just "about the kids", I thought Coach Hicks would have came back to coach "his team".

Maybe some of those posters could enlighten us as to why he changed his mind on the handshake agreement.

This seems to be a sad situation in the G.C. community. Did the super not expect something to happen, knowing Coaches history?

Either fire him or let him do his job. I for one do not like his behavior on the sidelines, it's completely classless and immature. After seeing what he did after the Russell vs Greenup game this year, I think he has zero class. With that said, I think he has great knowledge of the game. He knows basketball, that's for sure. From what I've heard all of his players enjoy playing for him and their parents support him as well. He definately gets the most out of his players. With a little anger management I think he could be a great all-around coach because knowing the game is just one characteristic that makes a coach great, it takes more than that though.

Great post and observations UKCF. No matter who's fault this whole thing is (and I believe that it is a little of both) this only make GCHS look bad from all angles. Coaching and school administration need to come to some kind of resolution to everything. Hicks is a very good coach but as you inidcated it takes more than knowledge of the game. GCHS is not the only school that has had trouble with this kind of thing. Imo to sum it all up (and I have said thuis many times before on other threads) "it's not all about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's".

I have to say that I have never seen anything like this. I have to agree with everyone that it is time to fish or cut bait. Not only is it embarrassing to the school but also unfair to the man involved. Either he committed a firable offense or he didn't.

 

The administration at Greenup has made a circus of this season and who is really hurt are the players. When you think about it there are seniors who have worked hard for years and have basically had their senior year turned upside down.

Imo both Hicks and the GCHS administrastion have made a joke of the whole thing and both are to blame. You are correct in that it is for the kids and not the GCHS coach and Admin that both seem to have big ego's.

It appears the circus that is GC politics continues. There is no reasons given for his current suspension, but from a source of a close nature, I've heard that the situation has become dreadfully personal between the Super and Mr. Hicks. I believe that both sides have dug in and now it will be and all out "war" between both parties that will involve the highest levels of the legal system as well as the Federal/State government agencies. I know from my prior experiences the political machine is in full swing in the GC school system. If nothing else, I hope that when this whole episode is completed that there will be justice served for all and not just a few. Remember no matter who's side one may be on in the end the student/athletes are the one's that suffer the most.

 

I can understand Coach Hicks taking a personal stance in this matter. After all, his future is at stake. However, I don't understand the actions of the GC administration in general and the superintendent in particular. I have always heard that the GC system is saturated with politics. I have heard that it needs a complete cleaning out of the central office and a new start. From the actions of the superintendent, I would agree and the superintendent should be the first to go.

Dont be to quick to judge against the superintendent. He has to be sure to cover all the bases. This is not as simple as it sounds. I believe that they are another civil suit Hicks has against the school. I'm sure that the school is listening to their legal advise at this point. I know the superintendent, he goes by the book no matter who it effects. Like I said dont judge until all the facts are on the table. It may suprise you. The school system is doing very well other than the trouble with the basketball program.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes perception is reality.

Famous court cases:

 

Brown vs. Kansas Board of Edu

Roe vs. Wade

 

Hicks vs. hicks

 

Sorry, I couldn't resist I was reared in a very rural part of the state myself. I was taught the ideals of truth and compromise as a child, funny how we forget these things as adults.

Dont be to quick to judge against the superintendent. He has to be sure to cover all the bases. This is not as simple as it sounds. I believe that they are another civil suit Hicks has against the school. I'm sure that the school is listening to their legal advise at this point. I know the superintendent, he goes by the book no matter who it effects. Like I said dont judge until all the facts are on the table. It may suprise you. The school system is doing very well other than the trouble with the basketball program.:eek: :eek: :eek:

The point ultimately champion is that, the Super has went on his own to make many decisions based on "hearsay" and "inneundo" without hard facts. This type of info never holds up in court and essentially it's the tax payers in in the Greenup County School System who should truly be angry. Their hard earned wages that are taxed to support the academic well being of our students/children is being misappropriated and abused. Scooterbob the "politics" in GC is rampant and I agree that those who are angry and want to find out the truth, should attend the open school board meeting Monday night at GCHS, should make for an interesting evening.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.