Will Levis Draft Prospects

As of this writing, UK's QB, Will Levis, is a projected 1st round talent according to draftniks Todd McShay & Mel Kiper (among others) with some even suggesting that he has a legitimate shot to go #1 overall. While I personally like Levis, I just don't see it with him. It seems that many teams and scouts see the 6'3" frame with a big arm and assume that he will become the next Josh Allen, but I think it is much more likely that he becomes the next Blake Bortles. His accuracy is just not there, and he doesn't always make the right read in college, which will get him in serious trouble at the next level.

I hope that he proves me wrong and develops into a star at the next level, but I'm just skeptical. Anyone else have thoughts on him?

Just now, burreaux said:

As of this writing, UK's QB, Will Levis, is a projected 1st round talent according to draftniks Todd McShay & Mel Kiper (among others) with some even suggesting that he has a legitimate shot to go #1 overall. While I personally like Levis, I just don't see it with him. It seems that many teams and scouts see the 6'3" frame with a big arm and assume that he will become the next Josh Allen, but I think it is much more likely that he becomes the next Blake Bortles. His accuracy is just not there, and he doesn't always make the right read in college, which will get him in serious trouble at the next level.

I hope that he proves me wrong and develops into a star at the next level, but I'm just skeptical. Anyone else have thoughts on him?

I will stick with what I said recently, probably a 2nd round pick with a lot of "I don't know" in his future.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, theguru said:

I will stick with what I said recently, probably a 2nd round pick with a lot of "I don't know" in his future.

I totally agree that he is a 2nd round talent. If he is going to develop into an NFL QB he needs to go to a team with reasonable expectations and a plan to help him improve rather than thrust him into the starting lineup and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, burreaux said:

I totally agree that he is a 2nd round talent. If he is going to develop into an NFL QB he needs to go to a team with reasonable expectations and a plan to help him improve rather than thrust him into the starting lineup and hope for the best. 

I agree. In fairness to Levis, he just doesn't have enough talent along with him on offense to reveal his true worth.  It will be a gamble for any team that drafts him. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, brown4 said:

The success of Josh Allen is why Levis is getting the hype.  Compare them and their college film, and you'd take Levis over Allen every time.  He has the arm strength and athletic ability to succeed.  

I think the question now is a comparison on "judgment", especially under stressful situations.

59 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Kinda crazy how arm strength can carry so much weight for certain QBs and not others. 

No kidding.

My assumption is most FBS QBs possess the necessary arm strength to play in the NFL, but there are way more intangibles that make up the QB position at the highest level.

My favorite has always been "he is a gunslinger." Which is code for a guy that makes some wow plays but also turns over the ball unexpectedly by throwing the ball into triple coverage for no reason. 

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

No kidding.

My assumption is most FBS QBs possess the necessary arm strength to play in the NFL, but there are way more intangibles that make up the QB position at the highest level.

My favorite has always been "he is a gunslinger." Which is code for a guy that makes some wow plays but also turns over the ball unexpectedly by throwing the ball into triple coverage for no reason. 

gunslinger.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2022 at 8:34 AM, brown4 said:

The success of Josh Allen is why Levis is getting the hype.  Compare them and their college film, and you'd take Levis over Allen every time.  He has the arm strength and athletic ability to succeed.  

Arm strength is the most overvalued trait in the NFL. Teams should focus on elite accuracy, processing, and leadership instead, these QBs succeed far more often.