Southwestern vs. Pulaski County Predictions/Updates

Warriors vs. Maroons  

33 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/21/2022 at 11:00 PM

6x2757.thumb.jpg.879db1223f8f9ad0a8e9733ec9901ff6.jpg

Reservations For Two To Settle District Championship And Bragging Rights

Records: Southwestern (8-0) | Pulaski County (8-1)

BGP Ranking: Southwestern (#7 in 5A) | Pulaski County (#8 in 5A)

Series History: Southwestern leads 19-17

Table Setter: As the leaves turn and the autumn chill fills the air, football in Pulaski County goes against the grain.... It begins to boil over. When the Warriors and Maroons get together, they have a tendency to generate heat no matter what the thermometer says. This year's encounter is shaping up to be one of the more hotly anticipated in the series' intense and highly competitive history. 

Southwestern has controlled the last three meetings, winning each by at least three scores. On paper, it's hard to see how either side pulls away this week. The Warriors are unblemished, with Pulaski County just a three point loss to Corbin away from joining them in the ranks of the unbeaten. The Maroons were nearly dealt a second defeat last week, but dodged a bullet on Log Mountain, thanks, in large part to the growing legend of Chandler Godby. He's become impossible to ignore when looking ahead to post-season awards and accolades. Southwestern did as good a job as anyone last year of keeping Godby in chains, unable to make the plays we've seen him make this year.

There have been two constants for the Warriors every week: They run the football (nearly 300 ypg) and play great defense (11 ppg allowed), two elements conducive to success this time of year. 

There's a great deal on the line aside from a district crown. Both have designs on deep playoff runs, but the loser is likely staring at a second round trip to Versailles.

The natives are sure to make the 'Reservation' an unwelcome environment for the invading Maroons, setting one of the best scenes around the state this week. These two are always building toward this game. The wait is over. 

• Like 1

I believe we can throw out the rankings and the teams records this week.  They both are coached very well, both have a lot of talent, and these teams don't like each other.  Anything can, and probably will happen in this type of game.  No doubt that this will be one of the best games played in the Commonwealth on Friday night.  No pick for me, just hoping both teams come out of the game injury free and ready for the playoffs.

• Like 2

Foley is 5-1 against PC since he arrived at Southwestern, but the Maroons are probably as talented as they’ve been in his tenure. I can’t predict this game but I think both of these teams are far better than the 7th and 8th best teams in 5A. I’m looking for them both to make deep runs in the playoffs. 

28 minutes ago, WishboneCity said:

Foley is 5-1 against PC since he arrived at Southwestern, but the Maroons are probably as talented as they’ve been in his tenure. I can’t predict this game but I think both of these teams are far better than the 7th and 8th best teams in 5A. I’m looking for them both to make deep runs in the playoffs. 

I firmly expect SW to win this game and avoid playing Wofo in the 2nd round. Pulaski season ends at the hands of WoFo. SW looks to be heading to Lexington again in the 3rd round, as it doesn't appear they will overtake the 5th ranked RPI team. They both play a 6A team, but I don't think SW can pass them to avoid going to Douglass in the 3rd round.

11 hours ago, WishboneCity said:

I think in at least 4 of those games, maybe all of them Pulaski was on their 2nd or 3rd QB of the season. Pulaski has been bitten hard by the injury bug at the QB position the last several years. That's hard to overcome when you want to throw as much as they do. SW smash mouth running game is also a great way to limit possessions and take the air out of the PC offense. 

I expect a tight game most of the night.

11 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I firmly expect SW to win this game and avoid playing Wofo in the 2nd round. Pulaski season ends at the hands of WoFo. SW looks to be heading to Lexington again in the 3rd round, as it doesn't appear they will overtake the 5th ranked RPI team. They both play a 6A team, but I don't think SW can pass them to avoid going to Douglass in the 3rd round.

You don’t expect SW to jump Scott County if Scott loses to Lex Cath and Ballard and Southwestern beats Madison Central and PC?

I ask this out of ignorance because my rudimentary math suggests they should overtake them. 

edited*: as the RPI stands now and if the playoffs started today Scott County would have to beat Highlands in the second round to force SW to travel to Freddy D.

I would imagine the likelihood of SW going to FD for a fourth consecutive year is below 50%

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WishboneCity said:

You don’t expect SW to jump Scott County if Scott loses to Lex Cath and Ballard and Southwestern beats Madison Central and PC?

I ask this out of ignorance because my rudimentary math suggests they should overtake them. 

edited*: as the RPI stands now and if the playoffs started today Scott County would have to beat Highlands in the second round to force SW to travel to Freddy D.

I would imagine the likelihood of SW going to FD for a fourth consecutive year is below 50%

It's tricky, I don't think Ballard loses this Friday, but their offense is so weird. The Georgetown school won't provide many opportunities for the Bruin D to score on a pick 6, so it could go both ways. But I expect them to beat LexCath for sure. 

Then I am thinking some weird RPI stuff to happen and keep SW behind them by a thousandth of a point. Just a feeling that the numbers will be wonky.

On 10/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

I think in at least 4 of those games, maybe all of them Pulaski was on their 2nd or 3rd QB of the season. Pulaski has been bitten hard by the injury bug at the QB position the last several years. That's hard to overcome when you want to throw as much as they do. SW smash mouth running game is also a great way to limit possessions and take the air out of the PC offense. 

I expect a tight game most of the night.

Pulaski's starting quarterback last season, Drew Polston, started in both of Southwestern's wins last season.  The stats show him attempting all but one pass in each game.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Pulaski's starting quarterback last season, Drew Polston, started in both of Southwestern's wins last season.  The stats show him attempting all but one pass in each game.  

Took the word of a Pulaski fan on that. Thanks for Fact Checking!