The Association Cracks Down on Suns Owner

1 minute ago, mcpapa said:

Suspended one year and fined $10M after a lengthy investigation.   

From Yahoo Sports:

“The independent investigation found that Mr. Sarver ‘engaged in conduct that clearly violated common workplace standards, as reflected in team and League rules and policies,” the NBA’s statement on the suspension read. “This conduct included the use of racially insensitive language, unequal treatment of female employees, sexual-related statements and conduct; and harsh treatment of employees that on occasion constituted bullying.”

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Should have done.  No fundamental difference between him and Sterling. 

Admittedly, I've not read a ton on the situation, but at first glance it seems very similar to the Sterling situation. Curious why he kept the team? My initial (potentially conspiratorial) thought is the concern that if you dig too deep there might be a lot of NBA ownership houses not in order and removing one owner could cause a chain reaction.

I believe Silver and his team did as much as they could on the punishment front without taking it to a vote of the owners. Sterling was recorded spewing hate and his expulsion was much less nuanced. Sarver is still proclaiming his innocence with some key names vouching for his character. And no, I am not saying Sarver is innocent. I have no doubt in the findings of the investigation.

It was announced yesterday Sarver has begun the process of selling the Suns.

As an aside, I went to a Suns' game just before the pandemic hit. That arena could use some refreshing. The jumbotron was like being at an OVC basketball game. Sarver is known in the NBA world as a cheapskate and one of the least respected owners.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, bugatti said:

I believe Silver and his team did as much as they could on the punishment front without taking it to a vote of the owners. Sterling was recorded spewing hate and his expulsion was much less nuanced. Sarver is still proclaiming his innocence with some key names vouching for his character. And no, I am not saying Sarver is innocent. I have no doubt in the findings of the investigation.

It was announced yesterday Sarver has begun the process of selling the Suns.

As an aside, I went to a Suns' game just before the pandemic hit. That arena could use some refreshing. The jumbotron was like being at an OVC basketball game. Sarver is known in the NBA world as a cheapskate and one of the least respected owners.

I’ve seen Jeff Bezos mentioned as someone possibly interested in buying the Suns.