Paintsville at Beechwood Predictions/Updates

Which team of Tigers wins this one?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Beechwood
    • Paintsville

This poll is closed to new votes

Coach Noel Rash is in his 17th year as head coach of the Tigers. For 14 of those years Beechwood was in class 1A. Amazingly, in his career, Coach Rash has only lost 1 regular season game to a 1A team. That team was Paintsville in 2019. Beechwood avenged that loss in a big way last year doing something else that is also very rare - beating Paintsville 49-0 at their home field. Paintsville is a tough place to play but it was no trouble for Beechwood.

Now Paintsville gets their chance to return the favor. They opened on the road with a 21-14 win over 3A Floyd Central. Paintsville pounded Floyd Central on the ground led by their outstanding senior RB Harris Phelps. Phelps rushed for 1506 yards last year and is looking to top that number this year. QB Frederick James returns with a year of experience as the starter. James threw for almost 1,400 yards in 2021. Paintsville enters this game ranked in the top 5 in the state in 1A.

Just like last year, they will be facing the team ranked #1 in 2A. The injury bug has bitten Beechwood right out of the chute in 2022. Highly touted QB Clay Hayden is injured and will be out for at least half the season. D1 CB Antonio Robinson Jr. wasn't able to play in Beechwood's opening 36-0 dismantling of 5A Fairdale. In the face of those obstacles, Beechwood turned to their Mr. Everything Mitchell Berger. It was a steady diet of Berger last week as he gained 196 yards rushing for 3 touchdowns, caught 2 passes for 25 more yards, punted the ball and kicked a 24 yard field goal in the first field goal attempt of his career.  Berger also had double digit tackles and a fumble recovery on the defensive side of the ball. That performance allowed Beechwood to ease in new QB, freshman Cash Harney in his first varsity game. Harney delivered a very solid 135 yards on 13/20 passing and his first varsity touchdown pass. 

It will be Tigers vs Tigers at Beechwood, kickoff at 7:30.

Beechwood rolls in this one but again I am interested to see how much more the pass game is integrated into the offense early. Not much passing till the game was in hand for the Tigers. Cash will get better each week and the pass game will continue to evolve from week to week. Once again Beechwood will rely on their stifling D and running game in this one. Anyone heard if this is the week Mr. Robinson sees action?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BWTigers said:

Beechwood rolls in this one but again I am interested to see how much more the pass game is integrated into the offense early. Not much passing till the game was in hand for the Tigers. Cash will get better each week and the pass game will continue to evolve from week to week. Once again Beechwood will rely on their stifling D and running game in this one. Anyone heard if this is the week Mr. Robinson sees action?

As far as I’m aware he is suiting up. Pretty good first game to play in, in front of a home crowd. I expect a lot of neutral fans to be at beechwood games this year due to the hype he brings. 

I hope Paintsville can make this respectable.. if they hope to have a chance at making it deep in the 1A playoffs they need to make this a tough game for 4 quarters. They will definitely need to be able to throw the ball more than twice like last season.

57 minutes ago, Tigerallamerican said:

Ugly early. This game does BW no favors whatsoever. I don't see this game on their next schedule cycle. 

I agree. I wish they would Schedule a home and home with Pikeville if they are going to play a Class A school! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerallamerican said:

I think Pikeville would take that take that challenge. They play LCA every year. 

Yeah I agree but since Doug Charles is from Pikeville I think that game stays on each other’s schedule. 

25 minutes ago, Lucky Dog said:

Is this on the web anywhere?

Not sure about video but all Beechwood football games are covered on Mixlr. Just look up Beechwood Sports Radio Network on the app.