MAJOR REVISION to KRS 156.070 regarding athletic transfers in Kentucky.

Kentucky has revised KRS 156.070 which is the statute that establishes the general powers and duties of the Board Of Education in relation to their management and control of interscholastic sports in the state.

The newly added text:

KRS 156.070 (2)(h)

Any student who transfers enrollment from a district of residence to a nonresident district under KRS 157.350(4)(b) shall be ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics for one (1) calendar year from the date of the transfer.

• Thanks 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to MAJOR REVISION to KRS 156.070 regarding athletic transfers in Kentucky.
10 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Kentucky has revised KRS 156.070 which is the statute that establishes the general powers and duties of the Board Of Education in relation to their management and control of interscholastic sports in the state.

The newly added text:

KRS 156.070 (2)(h)

Any student who transfers enrollment from a district of residence to a nonresident district under KRS 157.350(4)(b) shall be ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics for one (1) calendar year from the date of the transfer.

When and how did this change happen?

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

When and how did this change happen?

The same way the text of any of the statutes in Kentucky are changed.

Unfortunately, beyond that, we are not able to discuss that process any further, as the BGP terms of service absolutely apply here, as always.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are all learning about this so I am sure there will be more clarifications to come soon.  One thing that jumps out at me is what happens if you are in nonresident district and want to transfer back to your district of residence?  Depending on the answer to that question, I think any parents/students that are thinking about going to any nonresident district when they start high school (I assume this is a high school thing only but don't know) should error on the side of starting in a nonresident district.

1 minute ago, EagleRare20 said:

So if a student transfers and is enrolled before July 1, 2022 they are eligible right? Anything after that date they have to sit... Or am I reading that wrong?

Yes.

They still are subject to the KHSAA's current transfer eligibility requirements. This law, which is effective this July 1st, really really limits the ability to challenge the KHSAA's transfer eligibility ruling in court.

It also means that the "he has only played freshman sports at School A and those don't count against varsity eligibility at School B" loophole is closed. This rule does not state anything about the competition level of sports a student has played - and frankly, the way I am reading it, I would think the new text of the law means the 1 year of sitting out even applies to transfer students who never played sports in the first place.

• Like 1

Also, KRS 156.070 applies to the BOE's management of interscholastic sports in "common schools," without mention of grade levels. Then the statute has certain items that specifically call their out applicability to "high school sports."

So I believe, with the exception of portions specifically calling out high school sports, the statute applies to all grade levels. KRS 156.070 (2)(h) says nothing about "high school," so that appears to mean that transfers in grades K-8 will also sit out from sports now, agreed? Has that always been the case for K-8?

15 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Also, KRS 156.070 applies to the BOE's management of interscholastic sports in "common schools," without mention of grade levels. Then the statute has certain items that specifically call their out applicability to "high school sports."

So I believe, with the exception of portions specifically calling out high school sports, the statute applies to all grade levels. KRS 156.070 (2)(h) says nothing about "high school," so that appears to mean that transfers in grades K-8 will also sit out from sports now, agreed? Has that always been the case for K-8?

That has never been the case for K-8. No sports activities have counted until grade 9. For example, you could play at a school in 8th grade Varsity and play anywhere you like 9th grade year. 

• Like 1