Cincinnati Football 2022 Off-season Updates

Walter

Might as well get this one started....

With the success UC had this year, there's obviously going to be some turnover from the roster and on the coaching staff.

UC will lose the following starters/key contributors:

Defense:

DE Myjai Sanders, DT Curtis Brooks, DT Marcus Brown, LB Joel Dublanko, LB Darian Beavers, CB Coby Bryant, S Bryan Cook, CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner (Declared for the Draft as a JR)

Seniors Who graduated but Could return for extra Covid Year:

DE Malik Vann, DT Jabari Taylor, S Javon Hicks, LB Wilson Huber

Returning Starters/Contributors:

DE Jowon Briggs, LB Deshawn Pace, LB Ty Van Fossen, CB Arquon Bush 

Defense is obviously losing A LOT of experience and talent.

Offense:

QB Des Ridder, WR Alec Pierce, WR Michael Young, RB Jerome Ford (Declared for the Draft as a Jr)

Seniors who graduated but could return for extra Covid Year:

TE Lenny Taylor

Returning Starters/Contributors:

All 5 OL Starters Return , WR Tre Tucker, WR Tyler Scott, WR Jadon Thompson, TE Josh Whyle, RB Ryan Montgomery

Offense loses the best QB and maybe RB in program history but return enough to still be one of the better offensive units in the AAC next year. A lot will depend on how former top 50 QB Evan Prater progresses in the off season after spending 2 years under Ridder. 

Should have a better idea over the next week or two which seniors plan on using the extra year. Definitely going to be a transition year with next season finally starting the youth movement. A lot of talent in the sophomore/junior to be classes but no clue what to expect due to the lack of experience.

As far as coaching changes...

Offensive Coordinator Mike Denbrock is leaving to take the same role at LSU under Brian Kelly 

Passing Game Coordinator and QB Coach Gino Guidugli is the most likely candidate to replace Denbrock.

Special Teams Coordinator Brian Mason is leaving to take the same role under Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame. This is a bigger loss than Denbrock, IMO. Mason was one of the better recruiters on staff.

9 hours ago, Walter said:

2022 Non Conference Schedule:

9/3: @ Arkansas

9/10: Kennesaw State

9/17: v Miami (OH) @ Paul Brown Stadium

9/24: v Indiana

Arkansas may be ranked but at first glance, that non conference schedule leaves a lot to be desired. I know that UC will essentially be reloading/rebuilding next year.  I just don't think they make the playoffs this year if that had been their non conference schedule. 

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

@Walter, as a UC guy are you buying or selling your stock right now? 

I'm not expecting them to win the conference for a 3rd straight year, if that's what you're asking.

I think there's enough talent to be a fringe top 25 team and return to the CCG but there will be some struggles next year with so much youth and inexperience. Every starter returning on the oline should help the transition to whoever ends up starting at QB and RB.

A lot really depends on what they do with the transfer market. Adding Ivan Pace Jr to help replace Dublanko/Beavers is a good start. I think they need to address safety, CB, and DE with  transfers to give the younger guys another year to develop. I'll feel better about the defense heading in to next year if Vann, Hicks, Huber, and Taylor all decide to come back. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Arkansas may be ranked but at first glance, that non conference schedule leaves a lot to be desired. I know that UC will essentially be reloading/rebuilding next year.  I just don't think they make the playoffs this year if that had been their non conference schedule. 

Schedule definitely aligned perfectly for them this year with getting ND on the road with the best team in program history.

Winning the conference next year and returning to a NY6 bowl would be a major accomplishment with what they are going to return. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walter said:

I'm not expecting them to win the conference for a 3rd straight year, if that's what you're asking.

I think there's enough talent to be a fringe top 25 team and return to the CCG but there will be some struggles next year with so much youth and inexperience. Every starter returning on the oline should help the transition to whoever ends up starting at QB and RB.

A lot really depends on what they do with the transfer market. Adding Ivan Pace Jr to help replace Dublanko/Beavers is a good start. I think they need to address safety, CB, and DE with  transfers to give the younger guys another year to develop. I'll feel better about the defense heading in to next year if Vann, Hicks, Huber, and Taylor all decide to come back. 

Thanks for the rundown. UC impressed me and was fun to watch this year. As long as they have Fickell I think I would at least hold or buy haha! 

I like how you brought up the transfer portal. I could see UC turning into a major destination for transferees going forward. They are putting players into the NFL, have a phenomenal coach, and are obviously presenting athletes with an opportunity to compete with the best of the best in college football. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, John Anthony said:

I think the entire season hangs on Evan Prater.  Is he ready for the spotlight?

Might not have to be ready... Ben Bryant has transferred back to UC after throwing for 3,121 yards and 16 TD's in one season at Eastern Michigan.

Have heard that while Prater is an unreal athlete, there's some concerns with his accuracy in the passing game. Bringing Bryant back seems to confirm some of those rumors may be true. Should be a fun off season in that QB room. Going to be a battle to see who ends up QB1.